Alternator over charging.

tosher

Featured Posts

Help please. one of the two alternators (70amp &110amp) on my Izusu 42 engine is overcharging up to 15.3 volts causing the Alternator to Battery charger to trip out on "High input Voltage" . I have removed the 110 amp alternator and everything works ok with normal voltages. I want to change the regulator (or fit a new alternator) on this one but cannot find any manufacturer or model details on it to be able to source a new one. Could anyone help with identification or an alternative 110amp alternator that fits. The alternators came new with the engine 10 years and 36000 hours ago.post-3067-0-87841100-1477932751_thumb.jpgpost-3067-0-50670700-1477932885_thumb.jpgpost-3067-0-71943900-1477933017_thumb.jpgpost-3067-0-42099800-1477933725_thumb.jpg

My Isuzu has two 70 amps, so why the 110amp ? I have the durite magic box that parallels alternators when conditions are right( in theory giving 140 amps) .The leisure alternator has a Sterling alternator controller, it is new generation as the old one failed and kept trying to ramp voltage up to 16v and beyond.

I was led to believe that above 95amp it is advisable to have twin belts ?

Both alternators at different times have been changed and seem to be off the shelf stock items

I have googled the 4504 marked on the back of the alternator and it seems Bosch made one with that part number but it looks nothing like yours. i think you have three choices:

1. Hope SirN comes along and identifies it

2. Take it to a local Motor factors and see if tey can identify it

3. Take it to a local starter and alternator overhauler for testing and repair.

I have googled the 4504 marked on the back of the alternator and it seems Bosch made one with that part number but it looks nothing like yours. i think you have three choices:

1. Hope SirN comes along and identifies it

2. Take it to a local Motor factors and see if tey can identify it

3. Take it to a local starter and alternator overhauler for testing and repair.

If you go for this option though make sure they are a well respected company. We had issues with a company in Lincoln this time last year who were nothing but con men and we ended up out of pocket with a still dodgy alternator.

We ended up buying a new one in the end which wasn't all smooth sailing either as that had a dodgy voltage regulator and had to be replaced for another new alternator under warranty rolleyes.gif

Do you really mean 36000 hours? That 3600 hours per year or 10 hours each and every day? We manage 1200 hours per year and thats a lot more than most.

I would take the regulator out and fit an Adverc.

...........Dave

Do you really mean 36000 hours? That 3600 hours per year or 10 hours each and every day? We manage 1200 hours per year and thats a lot more than most.

...........Dave

I know very little about alternators so I stand to be shot down.

I have an adverc fitted and was suffering from over voltage. I was advised that an adverc can "up" the voltage to ensure a fully charged battery but has no mechanism to reduce too high a supplied voltage, perhaps from a faulty alternator.

George ex nb Alton retired

That's why I said to take the regulator out.

Your point is actually very interesting. The Adverc cycles between two voltages which is supposed to reduced gassing but modern alternators often have quite a high voltage anyway so the Adverc is not able to achieve its lower voltage unless the regulator is removed so will not offer all of its advantages.

My own view is that with a lot of boaters now using Trojans and charging at 14.8v the lower Adverc voltage might itself be a bit high and the Adverc could do with a bit of an update but I think Adverc are happy to just keep selling the current design.

..............Dave

I understood that the Adverc just handed control back to the inbuilt regulator for the low voltage phases of charging. If this is correct then once it starts cycling the alternator would shut down when the Adverc went low.

Not only that. As most modern alternators carry the brushes on the regulator simply removing the regulator may not be that simple.

...........Dave

Sorry, had a senoir moment and slipped one too many zero's in. Should of course be 3600 hours. I was hoping someone with an Izusu 42 with a 110amp Alternator might check theirs and give me a clue. Thanks for all your help anyway. Cheers.

I understood that the Adverc just handed control back to the inbuilt regulator for the low voltage phases of charging. If this is correct then once it starts cycling the alternator would shut down when the Adverc went low.

Not only that. As most modern alternators carry the brushes on the regulator simply removing the regulator may not be that simple.

The Adverc regulates both the high and low voltages. I know this because the brushes failed on my old Prestolite alternator a while ago and the regulator was part of the brush assembly. I could not get a spare set easily but noted that the TravelPower brush box (obviously without a regulator) looked to be the same size and I had one in my spares cupboard. With a little mod it went in and worked fine.

Also pretty sure I removed/disabled the internal regulator when I eventually replaced the Prestolite with an Iskra.

Most things can be sorted with a little grinding stone in a Dremel.

...............Dave