How to rub down non-slip paintwork

RichLech

Featured Posts

I need to repaint some parts of my boat that have a non-slip finish - a surface like course sand-paper.

Can anyone recommend a good way to prepare this type of surface. I'm not sure whether it can be easily over-painted, or whether it needs to be removed to provide a good, smooth surface to repaint.

However I tackle it, what are the best tools for rubbing it down? I suspect an random orbital sander but what sort of sanding sheet will be tough enough?

Any suggestions & recommendations will be appreciated.

I was having this discussion with a boat painter not long ago, he reckoned a scabbler was the only way to deal with non slip finishes. Having said that I have painted over the old non slip on our side decks doing nothing more than thorough cleaning first and it seems to have worked.

Completely removing with a scabbler is easily the most successful method.

You can take a wire brush after a thorough wash and roughen up the nonslip areas to create a key, but this isn't ideal, it is also dog hard work.

You can't sand nonslip. Effectively without shredding pads.

Edited by matty40s

I tried a number of methods to remove the non slip paint on my roof. Angle grinder with wire brush worked however the best method was a sharp chisel used as a scraper. This got under the paint and lifted it from the steel. It was slow going and needed regular sharpening but it did work.

Now I've got a compressor I'd be tempted to try blasting.

I tried a number of methods to remove the non slip paint on my roof. Angle grinder with wire brush worked however the best method was a sharp chisel used as a scraper. This got under the paint and lifted it from the steel. It was slow going and needed regular sharpening but it did work.

Now I've got a compressor I'd be tempted to try blasting.

I once gave in to that temptation but only once! The result called for a stronger expeaive than 'Blast!'.

A cheap air powered needle gun and a pack of spare needled worked well but the sharp chisel sounds less messy & more civilised.

If the non-slip finish is sound then it shouldn't really need removing prior to repainting, just a thorough clean and spirit wipe (use the thinner recommended for the paint). Depending on the grade of aggregate or particles in the existing paint, if it's fine enough you've already got a key for the new coats. If you do need to key it a light wire brushing and good clean should suffice.

I used a cheap hot air gun from screwfix to remove my paint and anti slip from gunnels. Time consuming but effective, you might struggle with a scabbler and then you wouldn't get close to the cabin side and you would need a needle gun. This is how I took my roof back to bare metal it took me about 8 hours on a 70ft boat and it was hard work

I used a cheap hot air gun from screwfix to remove my paint and anti slip from gunnels. Time consuming but effective, you might struggle with a scabbler and then you wouldn't get close to the cabin side and you would need a needle gun. This is how I took my roof back to bare metal it took me about 8 hours on a 70ft boat and it was hard work

strange, I scabbled a roof in less than 2 hours today then wirebrushed with an angle grinder down the handrail for an hour each side.

methinks you are making hard work of a job.