Skipper London

scatartist

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

We're moving from Hampton to the River Lea this Saturday and are having a last minute panic and think it may be better to hire someone for the day...

Any advice/suggestions/skipper info would be appreciated!!

Cheers!

If you go via the canal at Brentford through to the Lea rather than the Thames through London then there is not much to fear as long as you get your timings right. sadly I can't do Saturday, but am free on the Monday or Tuesday to accompany you through the short tidal section of the Thames and onto the start of the canal at Brentford if it helps.

I am a volunteer lock keeper for C R T on the Hanwell Flight of locks and can help you through these if you need it.

Ian.

07704 249 523.

If you can adapt your schedule so that The Boater can turn up for the first part of your journey on the Thames, especially the tidal bit from Teddington to Brentford, that would be a good idea; I've met him and he knows what he's doing. I have some idea of what to do on a river and plenty on canals, but am probably not available this weekend, not sure yet. If you want my help during next week I might well be available.

Although it takes longer to use the canal from Brentford through London, it's a whole lot safer than the fast route down the river to Limehouse where you can meet some serious choppy water and scary big boats, and would need a VHF radio and licence to use it. Please rule that out.

You need more than just Saturday for your trip; I'd allow a day to do the Thames and Hanwell locks, moor overnight somewhere on the Paddington Arm, then a day to go through the Really Crowded Bit far enough to find a mooring. Maybe that means somewhere just past Hackney. After that it depends how far up the Lea you want to go.

Sorry I can't help this weekend. If I were to offer, I always start with three questions

1. Anchor?
  2. Lifejackets?
  3. State of fuel tank? (amount of water, diesel bug, assorted rubbish)

I have been on two boats where the third issue was a problem, and it's a little too exciting.

• Greenie 1

scatarist,

Other things I might have been doing this weekend have gone away, so I would be available to help you, however:

Is your boat ready for the bit of the Thames from Hampton to Brentford? Scholar Gypsy asks some good questions. I always take great care not to fall in on rivers, but I would want to have a lot of confidence in the reliability of the engine, its fuel tank, and other crucial equipment.

I doubt if the Thames is in flood at present, but that needs to be checked.

The timing for the tidal stretch depends on tides, so you need to know that and plan accordingly. Chris-B says you'll need to call Brentford to book your time.

Once you know your arrival time at Brentford you can plan the rest of your trip, but as I've said you won't reach the Lea in one day. For example, canalplan tells me that just Brentford to Kensal Green is about 7 hours, and at this time of year there's only about 9 or 10 hours of daylight.

Please let us know the state of your boat and your hoped for timetable.

scatarist,

Other things I might have been doing this weekend have gone away, so I would be available to help you, however:

Is your boat ready for the bit of the Thames from Hampton to Brentford? Scholar Gypsy asks some good questions. I always take great care not to fall in on rivers, but I would want to have a lot of confidence in the reliability of the engine, its fuel tank, and other crucial equipment.

I doubt if the Thames is in flood at present, but that needs to be checked.

The timing for the tidal stretch depends on tides, so you need to know that and plan accordingly. Chris-B says you'll need to call Brentford to book your time.

Once you know your arrival time at Brentford you can plan the rest of your trip, but as I've said you won't reach the Lea in one day. For example, canalplan tells me that just Brentford to Kensal Green is about 7 hours, and at this time of year there's only about 9 or 10 hours of daylight.

Please let us know the state of your boat and your hoped for timetable.

The Upper(non tidal)Thames is flowing at a rate which is less than usual, 13 Cubic meters as opposed to a usual 15-20

Hardly any current at present

CT

This topic needs some further input from the OP.

How did you get on, did you move off the Thames today, and do you still need help moving the boat?

Reading your earlier topic about having bought what was once a paddle steamer, have you checked it will fit where you want to take it?

The London canals are not narrow, but a boat which has spent its life on the Thames (has it?) might have too much draught for the canals or Lea, or maybe too much air draught; the Lea has some low bridges.

Hi again,

Apologies for not answering sooner!

We have postponed the move until Tuesday as we can get a bit of help on the first section on this day too.

I know it sits 9½" into the water, not sure how tall it is but I would say it's roughly the same size and shape as a typical 50' wide beam - although it is much more angular and has a very square back deck that was added by the previous owner. Above the waterline it's close to 82". I have looked up the demensions and fingers crossed we should be OK.

Yes we have no intention of trying to go up the tidal Thames; we want to avoid the tidal part all together!!

We have no problem mooring somewhere overnight, we would like to start the journey on Tuesday but have no specific timetable.

The engine is a concern, were using a speedboat outboard (Johnson Seahorse) which we've been working on for the last couple of months to get it to run smoothly. We can't afford a replacement right now, it is on the list for the future.

Hi again,

We have postponed the move until Tuesday as we can get a bit of help on the first section on this day too.

I know it sits 9½" into the water, not sure how tall it is but I would say it's roughly the same size and shape as a typical 50' wide beam - although it is much more angular and has a very square back deck that was added by the previous owner. Above the waterline it's close to 82". I have looked up the demensions and fingers crossed we should be OK.

Yes we have no intention of trying to go up the tidal Thames; we want to avoid the tidal part all together!!

We have no problem mooring somewhere overnight, we would like to start the journey on Tuesday but have no specific timetable.

The engine is a concern, were using a speedboat outboard (Johnson Seahorse) which we've been working on for the last couple of months to get it to run smoothly. We can't afford a replacement right now, it is on the list for the future.

You can't avoid the Teddington to Brentford section of the Thames, which is tidal ...

That's an odd-sounding craft, especially at only 9½" deep. Possible I suppose, but I hope it's stable and that the outboard has sufficient power to move it, against the flow of the river if necessary. Once you're off the Thames at Brentford there's much less cause to worry.

I'm available during next week and quite fancy a mini-cruise through London. You seem to have Tuesday sorted out, but would you like some help after that?

Annoyingly we're moving our of our flat on Wednesday/Thursday so we me have to stay moored somewhere in between until next weekend. We have a very short period of time off work to squeeze everything in, including finishing half of the boat so its actually livable... Not very helpful answer I know, it's a bit chaotic at the moment! Thanks for all the help so far, lots of useful information.

Hi again,

Have you ever actually moved this boat with this set up, or are you trying it out on the Thames?

It sounds to me as if your objective for Tuesday should just be to reach Brentford safely, concentrating before that on making the boat capable of doing the Thames, then if you have any spare time left on Tuesday just moor at Brentford (there should be somewhere available) and use the time to sort out whatever's most urgent on the boat rather than pressing on. I say this because the 7 hours to Kensal Green is a comfortable day's run for Saturday 5th, and that's said to be about the last place before central London where you can be fairly sure of finding somewhere to moor.

Bear in mind that there's a winter stoppage for 18th Nov to 20th Dec at "Bridge 7D (Railway)" on the Paddington Arm, so you'll need to either get past that in time, or leave the boat in West London until Christmas.

Have you ever actually moved this boat with this set up, or are you trying it out on the Thames?

We have only moved to see how the engine runs (and only on non-tidal water) and have not been hugely impressed. We've done a huge amount of work on it but to be honest it's pretty worn out, not to mention completely wrong for the boat (overpowered at 135bhp and obviously not designed to be used with this type of craft!)

Eeeek!

Tell me about it!!

It sounds to me as if your objective for Tuesday should just be to reach Brentford safely, concentrating before that on making the boat capable of doing the Thames, then if you have any spare time left on Tuesday just moor at Brentford (there should be somewhere available) and use the time to sort out whatever's most urgent on the boat rather than pressing on. I say this because the 7 hours to Kensal Green is a comfortable day's run for Saturday 5th, and that's said to be about the last place before central London where you can be fairly sure of finding somewhere to moor.

Bear in mind that there's a winter stoppage for 18th Nov to 20th Dec at "Bridge 7D (Railway)" on the Paddington Arm, so you'll need to either get past that in time, or leave the boat in West London until Christmas.

Thanks for all the help. We need it! My partner grew up sailing so is much more confident but a flat bottomed boat will be like a shoebox on the tides!!

If we need to move more slowly and take it easy//sort things out we would rather do that then rush; it's preferable for us to be further into London is all. If there are problems we should know about them before we reach the first lock as we have an hour or so to get to that. If anything scary happens we'll just return!

We have only moved to see how the engine runs (and only on non-tidal water) and have not been hugely impressed. We've done a huge amount of work on it but to be honest it's pretty worn out, not to mention completely wrong for the boat (overpowered at 135bhp and obviously not designed to be used with this type of craft!)

Tell me about it!!

Thanks for all the help. We need it! My partner grew up sailing so is much more confident but a flat bottomed boat will be like a shoebox on the tides!!

If we need to move more slowly and take it easy//sort things out we would rather do that then rush; it's preferable for us to be further into London is all. If there are problems we should know about them before we reach the first lock as we have an hour or so to get to that. If anything scary happens we'll just return!

I think I would be looking for another boat to go with me. Have you managed to get insurance for that set up?

When you mentioned having an outboard I had an image in mind of a big boat I saw last year on the GU whose owner was struggling slowly along with a puny little outboard. Now I realise you have a 135bhp outboard designed for a speedboat and suspect you might have a wholly different problem. What happens when an engine designed to move a lightweight craft at high speed tries to move a heavier craft slowly? I don't know, maybe somebody on this forum does and can advise you of your chances of success? My guess is that it'll get you about, but rather inefficiently and with a lack of subtlety of control.

Assuming it's petrol driven, you will have to be very careful about how and where you store the fuel. Well away from any gas appliances on the boat for starters!

Would it be unreasonable to ask if you have :

Insurance

Safety certificate

Licence

Life jackets

To my mind it sounds like a potential disaster, a 'fatboat' boat like that - 50 foot and with only 9" draft, but 7 feet air-draft - the slightest bit of wind and it will be almost uncontrollable, in addition to being totally top-heavy and prone to rolling. If, whilst on the River, a 'big boat / ferry' went past you there is a fair chance that you will capsize from the bow-wave.

This doesn't sound like a boat, its more like a floating 'packing case'.

Sorry to be seeming to "P on your parade" but have you considered that it may be much safer to take it by truck ?

Would it be unreasonable to ask if you have :

Insurance

Safety certificate

Licence

Life jackets

To my mind it sounds like a potential disaster, a 'fatboat' boat like that - 50 foot and with only 9" draft, but 7 feet air-draft - the slightest bit of wind and it will be almost uncontrollable, in addition to being totally top-heavy and prone to rolling. If, whilst on the River, a 'big boat / ferry' went past you there is a fair chance that you will capsize from the bow-wave.

This doesn't sound like a boat, its more like a floating 'packing case'.

Sorry to be seeming to "P on your parade" but have you considered that it may be much safer to take it by truck ?

Yes we've got everything mentioned above. Partner's dad is a boat builder so probably would've said something if he thought we were likely to capsize!

Hello all,

Unfortunately we spent most of the day in A&E so the move is postponed, and in the mean time we are taking the opportunity to source a newer, lower HP engine and have it craned on at a local yard whilst my partner is recovering.

Thanks for the wise words, will update when we *finally* make the big trip!

Edited by scatartist