Painting Locations

max's son

Featured Posts

I have been asked by my sister to work out the location of these pictures

This one could be somewhere in the Black Country– watercolour - 23.5” x 18​"

http://black%20country.jpg

and this one On the Canal (Monmouth?) – Robert Hollands Walker - exhibited 1892-1920 – 16” x 10”

http://monmouth.jpg

any information would be helpful

Looking at that first picture those tall chimneys put me in mind of the brickworks that used to be around the Peterborough area.

The artist has painted what looks like a worked out section of a claypit in the foreground with a working area towards the rear. There looks to be a dragline stripping overburden and a loading shovel at a lower level. Not sure what the two towers towards the right of the picture are, supports for an aerial flight? telegraph poles?

What makes you think it could be somewhere in the Black Country?

Hope this helps.

The second one might be the Leeds and Liverpool at Lathom looking towards Parbold Hill.

that was my other thought the L+L .....

was just thinking though coming up from saul to gloucester .... especially as he said close to the black country?

Edited by dccruiser

Any reason why you think it may be the Monmouthshire Canal? I think the scenery could maybe pass for somewhere on the lower reaches but the system had 9' 2" wide locks and the boat looks like it might be wider than that. I would say it's probably not Monmouthshire on balance.

My initial thoughts on the first one were old ironstone workings at Corby but looking closely at the picture I think the brickworks theory holds up better. However the terrain is a bit rough for a clay pit.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

The second is almost certainly the L&LC, possibly in the Gargrave area. It could also be on the Lancaster, but the decoration on the square stern is more L&LC than Lancaster. The first could then be somewhere around Wigan, but there is nothing particularly noteworthy to identify the location.

A google search for "Robert Hollands Walker" finds this webpage https://www.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11778

which says he was born in Scotland, but lived for some time in Liverpool, so a painting of the L&L canal would make sense.

It appears that he did do quite a few paintings of Warwickshire scenes as well, though.

The supposed Black Country image may well be there, although it is difficult to gain the perspective from where the image is looking. I is possible the view is from sunken pool with waste tips, and buildings at higher ground. They may be a ironworks for rolling metal, but then are other options. The view of the crane below them may suggest a marl hole and brickworks. There are different places such a view could represent including Oldbury and Tividale.

The first picture to me is the BCN, a view from the Tame Valley canal just along from Ocker Hill Jcn looking at Golds Hill with the associated chimneys of the many works and the Balls Hill branch being infilled at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

DSC_0009_zpsrw8b8imf.jpg

On a walk today between Parbold and the Ring o Bell's pub at Lathom on the Leeds and Liverpool. I wish I could have logged into CWDF to check the second picture but the signal was poor. Anyway this is approximately the locations I guess the second painting was from. Now unfortunately there is too much foliage for you to see the three small hills around Parbold. Maybe a leaf less view on a bright day in winter might be better. Today the visibility was woeful