Help with the Rothersthorpe Locks (Northampton Arm)

Theo

Featured Posts

I was warned about him flashing and making inappropriate comments to women boating on their own, and in one instance trying to climb on a boat during the night.

Lock 6 being leaky is definitely nothing to do with this chap and I would have probably happily paid him to let down water had he appeared when we were stuck half out of the lock above as we had to let water down, then run back down so that all three of us could pull the boat. I'd been warned about the leaky gate, but didn't realise it was so bad.

I got through lock 6 yesterday by putting a piece of 4" * 2" between the gates, did the job.

According to CaRT these gates are being replaced starting now. Might not require someone to "let water down" after the works are completed.

According to CaRT these gates are being replaced starting now. Might not require someone to "let water down" after the works are completed.

Well they haven't managed to get the flight to hold water in the past so I don't see why next year should be different.

• 1 month later...

I used his services just after the winter closure was lifted. I met him about 2 down and he was already on the Cider. He was friendly and polite. Explained his services and the charge. As I was single handed i agreed. Made very good time down. I have his number and will be using his services should i be going up alone again.

I used his services just after the winter closure was lifted. I met him about 2 down and he was already on the Cider. He was friendly and polite. Explained his services and the charge.

Expressed in cans per hour?

i myself have had Leon's help up and down the flight on several occasions over the years and find his help being a single hander invaluable, yes i do pay with money, food and drink.

About 2 yrs ago whilst going down the flight with Leon we caught up with a couple also going down, the lady doing the locks deliberately obstructed Leon as we approached there lock telling him not to touch the lock, as I was leaving the lock above didn't hear what was said but could see thing's were a bit heated. I got into lock and Leon told me that she told him not to touch lock, then as Leon operated lock for me she approached me asking did I know what I was doing using him and if paying him how much ? In answer to this I told her whatever agreement I have with Leon was nothing to due with her and as to her telling him not to touch locks he was assisting me so would she please leave him to it. Her answer to this was to tell me she was reporting him to CRT and he was banned from the flight, with that she went back to her boat did 2 more locks then we passed them, her husband/partner was quite talkative/friendly as we passed his other half was in boat 2 locks later they continued down behind. When we got under m/way I asked Leon about this he told me what had gone on between him and her, I told him what she said to me, Leon then at next lock said he was going to find out 'what her problem was'

Now I heard the conversation with Leon and lady yes it got a bit loud with a few hand gestures but no abuse, the guy on the boat was like me he was a bit bemused by it all then we went are separate ways. When we got to N/hpton Leon told me he had had words before with the lady and she had reported him before,

What I don't understand is why is there this attitude towards him, I don't see the problem, you tell him no that means no surely, give the guy a brake as mentioned earlier but for the grace of god go i.

What I don't understand is why is there this attitude towards him, I don't see the problem, you tell him no that means no surely, give the guy a brake as mentioned earlier but for the grace of god go i.

Because several people have reported that he doesn't take "no" for an answer.

• 6 months later...

I know this thread's getting a bit old, but wondered if anyone had contact details for Leon - presumably mobile?  I'll be going up the flight solo for the first time in a couple of days, and would welcome his help.  I find the references to empty pounds a bit daunting...

Cheers,

Chris

• 1 year later...

Leon introduced himself to us yesterday as we descended the flight very friendly helped us with the last 3 locks.  Apparently he will not be around for 3 weeks later this month (hence this post) as he's off to Birmingham.  

• Greenie 1

Lovely to hear he is still around. We first met him in 2014 when he was waiting at the top lock while we were having lunch. Said if we were going down he would come down at the same time as he had to go that way anyway. He then operated the locks for us efficiently, but drinking often  from a bottle of cider. He was frank about his alcoholism and said the daily return trip up the locks was what was keeping him alive. By the last lock, shall we say he was fluid. We gave him dinner at Northampton and waited till he had departed before we had a drink ourselves, as we decided he was best without more. We saw him a few days later on the towpath between Gayton and Blisworth. He said he was on the way to the doctor and asked then for some money, which we obliged, for a bus fare home. Val  hoped he would use some of it for some underpants as he was very obviously not wearing any. 

He actually  looked then as if he would not survive another winter. 

We were therefore pleased and suprised to see him again in 2017, when he was working a boat up and we were descending. He looked in much better health. 

Obviously a waterways survivor. 

• Greenie 1

Hi DandV 

What surprise a comment about Leon from New Zealand hope you enjoyed the UK canal system.  In view of your comments and concerns Leon is apparently off to Rehab for the 3 weeks he is in Birmingham when he told me he gave a ? sign and said he was pleased and needed to go.  Lets hope it works out for him.

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

I live in a house at lock 14 of this flight and often see his tent around. Never met him but a friend waked the flight a few weeks ago and reported a naked man around lock 13/12 which is where i think he is most of the time... 

• 1 year later...