Anybody had their boat spray painted

Featured Posts

I dont know the ratio of brush/roller spray, but with the right paint and prep, its a fast way to get a durable finish, be that a high gloss enamel or not.

- Cars are spray painted and do 20+ years without issue.

- Plant equipment diggers/tracktor/cranes/cementmixers are spray painted and last decades.

- Same goes for buildings and bridges.

You just need the right paint and prep and process, method application is almost immaterial.

Daniel

Cars are sprayed (by robots) then the paint is baked on. Not many paint ovens are big enough for a narrowboat!

The whole paint is a system

Exactly

brush will take longer yes,but a brush will get in those nooks and crannys that spray will not without leaving big drips on door/gas locker/hatch hinges, pigeon box hinges, rivets, etc.

The brush painter can also spend time in those areas going back to draw more paint off if surplus is there, you cant do that with a sprayer.

The sprayer moves over those complicated points at the same speed of the rest, therefore leaving a weak point on the paint - especially if its not been prepared properly.

As a sprayer of wonderful 2pack paint on dodgy old motors, Matty has covered the problems to perfection here. I love 2 pack, the finish lasts and lasts, but not for a boat because as Matty days, though 95% of it may look great, the bits that tend to trap or gather water and damp will be the bits that get the worst coating.

If you're cunning you can brush paint 2-pack, I've done small areas like engine bays with good results. Keeping a wet edge would be tricky on larger areas.

As a sprayer of wonderful 2pack paint on dodgy old motors, Matty has covered the problems to perfection here. I love 2 pack, the finish lasts and lasts, but not for a boat because as Matty days, though 95% of it may look great, the bits that tend to trap or gather water and damp will be the bits that get the worst coating.

If you're cunning you can brush paint 2-pack, I've done small areas like engine bays with good results. Keeping a wet edge would be tricky on larger areas.

Thanks for that. Valuable input.

You've done nothing for my piece of mind though because I've got one of those dodgy old motors.

Thanks for that. Valuable input.

You've done nothing for my piece of mind though because I've got one of those dodgy old motors.

Me too, living the dream. :)

My boat was painted at least 12 and maybe 15 years ago, way before I got it by a gentleman called Phil Speight. Proof if there ever was that you get what you pay for, it still looks fantastic and I have no plans to repaint. I'm half way through giving it a polish and wax ready for the winter.

Had it already been scrapped then

No. I can't remember its name but the owner was having to give up due to advancing MS. He was clearly gutted about it but recognised he was asking too much of his wife The boat was in splendid condition and not suprisingly was snapped up by someone who planned to live aboard.

I had second refusal but heard no more.

Just a thought for anybody who is getting or has got a new shell, it will probably have a thin coat of primer and you will want to start fitting it out straight away. Job no. 1 really ought to be to paint the thing, even if it is in Dulux white gloss all over it will save a stack of work later, just do it nicely so you can flat it down and put colours on when you want.

Unless it caked in mill scale. In which case allowing it to rust off, or having it shot blasted, my well be the way forwards.

Complication is added in terms of what happens under the windows, unless you take them all out again, and this should not be overlooked.

Daniel

DSC_0009_zps0b4nt2ig.jpg

Brush painted with Craftmaster. Relaunching two days ago.

After 30 years the boat had rust around all the hinges. The welder cut off every hinge and replaced them with lift off or slide out types. This enabled us to address the rusty areas. He fabricated new side doors but we re used the rest.

All this took three weeks working every day for the 21 one out of water days. Only just enough!

Brush painting sort of feels right. Anyway St Mary's in Rufford isn't set up for spraying. The whole performance cost an eye watering £8,000 for welding, fabricating, back to bare metal preparation, painting, signwriting, shed hire and paints. We blacked the boat ourselves and used 20 litres of Intertuff with four coats.

Unless it caked in mill scale. In which case allowing it to rust off, or having it shot blasted, my well be the way forwards.

Complication is added in terms of what happens under the windows, unless you take them all out again, and this should not be overlooked.

Daniel

Is it usual practice for builder to blast off this millscale stuff before priming?

Is it usual practice for builder to blast off this millscale stuff before priming?

Sadly, with exceptions, most will only remove it if you specify the service is to be included, so only if you specify it and then witness it first hand.

Daniel

DSC_0009_zps0b4nt2ig.jpg

After 30 years the boat had rust around all the hinges. The welder cut off every hinge and replaced them with lift off or slide out types. This enabled us to address the rusty areas. He fabricated new side doors but we re used the rest.

All this took three weeks working every day for the 21 one out of water days. Only just enough!

Brush painting sort of feels right. Anyway St Mary's in Rufford isn't set up for spraying. The whole performance cost an eye watering £8,000 for welding, fabricating, back to bare metal preparation, painting, signwriting, shed hire and paints. We blacked the boat ourselves and used 20 litres of Intertuff with four coats.

We bumped into your painter while buying paint for our boat the other day.

We got chatting and he showed us a picture of his work, which was a shot of Bullfinch.

It's probably a sign he is happy with the job he did if he is showing it to demonstrate his work.

He did give me a funny look though when I said "How is Peter?"

:)

DSC_0009_zps0b4nt2ig.jpg

Did you get the art work dome by the same chap that did it before, and I think you should really come into moor more slowly and preferably not at right angles to the bank. boat.gif

Edited by ditchcrawler

We couldn't get Keith Pollitt and his friend Steve to do the signwriting this time. It was done by Chris from Penwortham near Preston. This time the bullfinch looks slightly fierce and he still requires his branch to stand on. I'm sure we will get used to one another in time.

As for my mooring skills....well it's just something that I have to work on. Doesn't anyone else aim to moor on the towpath each night?

Edited by Peter-Bullfinch

We couldn't get Keith Pollitt and his friend Steve to do the signwriting this time. It was done by Chris from Penwortham near Preston. This time the bullfinch looks slightly fierce and he still requires his branch to stand on. I'm sure we will get used to one another in time.

As for my mooring skills....well it's just something that I have to work on. Doesn't anyone else aim to moor on the towpath each night?

clapping.gif