Foxton. Grrrrrrrrr.

nicknorman

Featured Posts

That would have been at Foxton, she used to do the same whenever we took a pair of boats through too.

the current lot of retards volunteers are completely different and in need of some training in how to deal with paying customers, it's almost worth not going that way to avoid dealing with them.

Tom

Its a shame the best of them always go

?

I was definitely told by the Lock keeper that I was not allowed to progress to the centre pound, because that was the rule. Are you suggesting that I made that up, or that he was wrong?

It seems quite obvious to me that he was saying the volocky was wrong. Do try not to always jump to the worst conclusion! Bad for the blood pressure!

That he was wrong. Most times we go up or down there's a boat held in the pound. Sometimes it's us.

Thanks, that is what i thought you meant, but it was not entirely clear. I could not understand the Voluntary lock keeper's approach, as waiting in the central pound has been standard practice for decades. I first went through Foxton in the 1960's in an old working boat, and we waited in the central pound for another one to come up. That was in the days before red and white posts but no one got in a mess.

The problem these days seems to be that (some) Foxton volunteers seem unable to recognize the difference between experienced and novice crews, and treat everyone as if it was there first encounter with a staircase of locks.. For some odd reason it is never like that at Watford, where the Voluntaruy Lock keepers usually let us through unsupervised after we have been admitted into the flight.

Edited by David Schweizer

The problem these days seems to be that (some) Foxton volunteers seem unable to recognize the difference between experienced and novice crews, and treat everyone as if it was there first encounter with a staircase of locks.. For some odd reason it is never like that at Watford, where the Voluntaruy Lock keepers usually let us through unsupervised after we have been admitted into the flight.

In their defence I have to say that going both ways, we were just pretty much left to get on with it. The guy coming up did mention "you have to open the red paddles first" at which point I recited the rhyme, after that we were left to get on with it. Different volockies on the 2 days. However the CRT work boat was moored in the middle pound yesterday, preventing boats passing, but then I suppose we are into a fairly quiet time of year.

Unlikely, as striking an employee of the canal company wouldn't go down well.

biggrin.png

Striking anyone else in public doesn't go down well nowadays - but I'm told that, in the more ramshackle areas of our cities, it still occasionally happens. It's certainly documented that boatmen (many of whom, I assume, were employed by canal companies) used to get into fights with each other. So, perhaps it's not as unlikely as you think.

How can volunteers without expertise be allowed the to dictate how we use the fatalities we have paid for ????

We too were somewhat peeved when Kathy was told that the locks were closed when she inquired at 2:45.

A bit later on as I went down to sort out rubbish etc. I discovered the Volockies bringing a boat up the flight I did ask if we could come down and pass in the middle (as we have done on previous occasions) but this was refused.

Chatting later I discovered the volly had no interest in boating or boaters needs but was there because he enjoyed the power and needed something to do since retiring!

Now we build our boats,pay large sums of money to be able to use the waterways and its locks and in doing so provide entertainment to the non-boating visitors.

Should there be a category of volunteer boater ;-)

John & Kathy

How can volunteers without expertise be allowed the to dictate how we use the fatalities we have paid for ????

We too were somewhat peeved when Kathy was told that the locks were closed when she inquired at 2:45.

A bit later on as I went down to sort out rubbish etc. I discovered the Volockies bringing a boat up the flight I did ask if we could come down and pass in the middle (as we have done on previous occasions) but this was refused.

Chatting later I discovered the volly had no interest in boating or boaters needs but was there because he enjoyed the power and needed something to do since retiring!

Now we build our boats,pay large sums of money to be able to use the waterways and its locks and in doing so provide entertainment to the non-boating visitors.

John & Kathy

Did you complain? If not it will continue to happen.

John & Kathy

Do we have to pay for the fatalities now? sounds like a dead con to me!rolleyes.gif