Advice sought re. Barrus Shire engine

Froggy

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

There was no hour counter on the boat when I bought ours out of a hire fleet and it bothered me not one jot. What would have bothered me is if it did not start well from cold, leaked or burned oil, smoked excessively or banged when running. It did not and now some 17 years plater I am still not worried.

5 hours ago, chubby said:

all the above advice is very correct especially with regards to how you go forward from here and the fact that if funds are low then you may not be able to fix the problem ( percieved or actual ) anyway . 

Regardless of the engine hours , you and engine are where you are & if the engine seems to be performing ok then thats all well and good . As you can see in the photo above there IS a decimal point before the last number - yours will be the same . 

I would humbly suggest you now move on , & try to stop worrying ( if infact you are ... ) . Say that from now on the engine will be serviced according to the service intervals recommended in the manual ( 250 hours ?) by yourself or by paying someone else . This will bring peace of mind that during your ownership , regardless of what happened previously , the engine was maintained as required . 

Thats pretty much all you can do & all you need to do . Things will still go wrong with it from time to time , but thats boat ownership innit ?

cheers 

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

WotEver didn't have an hour counter either. It started easily, didn't smoke and (once the rubber mounts were replaced) it ran smoothly. The boat went fwd and backwards so it all seemed good to me. 

Thanks foe all the great advice and reassurance guys, much appreciated.

I can now confirm that there is a (flashing) decimal point on our VDO, so the hours recoded are 4.3k, since the display has been visible intermittently recently, especially after the engine has been running for some while. :) Great news as far as i'm concerned. So, on to other things.

Is that a rat crawling on the roof of our boat or deathwatch beetle?.... ;)