Abandoned Iron Hull of NB on Thames near Richmond

ChrisJBrady

Featured Posts

This has been there for many years - by the tow path on the northern bank - between the main Feltham to Waterloo via Richmond line and the adjacent road bridge. Google Earth kind of distorts the view; its better seen by train!!

post-21243-0-84565200-1476438049_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisJBrady

This has been there for many years - by the tow path on the northern bank - between the main Feltham to Waterloo via Richmond line and the adjacent road bridge. Google Earth kind of distorts the view; its better seen by train!!

For a long time it was quite servicable and worth recovering, but it's been chopped now so it's only a scrapper.

It has been there quite a while. I am sure it is not abandoned.

Its a rivetted iron narrow boat of some sort - bantock, Harris etc. Not a pretty one I don't think.

Pete Harrison may know.

Bing maps "birdseye" view is better than Google for this sort of thing :)

Edit to correct a possible error

Edited by magnetman

Nearest road for map search is Ducks Walk Twickenham. Possibly an error as they waddle..

I can't swear by it but I always assumed it was an ex-Thames Conservancy (i.e. pre-Environment Agency) work boat of some kind. We bought a very similar hull from TWA "named" A94 some 30-40 years ago.

Was it narrow beam? This one definitely is.

Recently discussed on the LCM Facebook pge

https://www.facebook.com/canalmuseum/photos/a.10150356558935107.586322.456181935106/10157705279720107/?type=3&theater

Tim

That's interesting - any idea where they were built?

Many of the Thames Conservancy "joey"-type boats were built by the Steel Barrel Co at Uxbridge. The same company was responsible for the George and Mary built for the predecessors of the GUCCC.

Paul