NB Peacock

ChrisJBrady

Featured Posts

Thanks Chris. Peacock is now on display at the Black Country Living Museum, usually tied next to Stour. The public can view the cabin from the counter. I added the lettering just over a year ago at Brinklow Boat Services, following extensive restoration work there.

Dave

What a great photo, very useful looking front fender:)

Unfortunately that stem fender was the cause of some getting caught up problems when it ventured into some of the locks on the system it was soon changed to the usual tyre covered single fender with rope as the weak link

Edited by X Alan W

What was Peacock designed to carry given the absence of a deck board, top planks mast etc, and those odd low level tarps?

I imagine that was just for convenience as other pictures of Peacock show the normal configuration.

I'd be interested in the actual date.

Although I have no evidence, it feels more like the 1970s than the 1960s to me.

Unfortunately that stem fender was the cause of some getting caught up problems when it ventured into some of the locks on the system it was soon changed to the usual tyre covered single fender with rope as the weak link

Well there are pictures taken by my brother well into the 1970s that show exactly that tyre arrangement as fenders. So if you correct about it being short lived, I reckon the photo is definitely 1970s.

If so though, it had surely ceased to be a genuine working basin by then?

What was Peacock designed to carry given the absence of a deck board, top planks mast etc, and those odd low level tarps?

I don't think it was carrying anything by this stage, just sheeted up in a simple manner that kept the rain out, without the cloths acting like a massive sail in side winds, (as can happen if you cloth a working boat up, but carry no significant load).

smart photo ,but what about the very early three wheeler reliant robin,that would be a show stopper.

Certainly a Reliant, but a Regal. A pre-sixty three car but that doesn't date the photo (not that you were trying to).

http://www.3wheelers.com/regal.html

Note the hand cart. Our council workers would use one for small jobs on the estate in North London.

Edited by Derek R.

She has been largely rebuilt since then and the GWR loco nameplate has long gone.

https://www.facebook.com/FmcNarrowboatPeacock/

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1716456938584206&set=o.426380970786651

The name plate is at swindon railway museum i beleive.

Nice pic of her.

I have not seen a single pic of peacock in working days closest i have come across was just after john bought it but was already repainted i know its an early one as it still had the cabin step in a pic taken a few years after when some cabin work was done it was then missing from the cabin and the port hole added.

I need to update the facebook page as its had the hold painted and shuts put in

Re: the photo - thanks for the comments. Folks are free to download and process the image to try and remove the scratches. The print was actually 18 inches long - well blown up. I emigrated to NZ in 1973 so it would have been taken before that. It had gotten a tad creased and torn during the move to / from NZ. I might still have the original neg. in which case a far better image could be scanned. Meanwhile on the Peacock Facebook page there is a thread about the GWR locos from which the Peacock wheel arch name plate might have originated. Huh - it's be worth a small fortune now-a-days.

I remember Peacock looking very much the same in the early 80s, moored on the arm into Paddington Basin. I always thought the engine nameplate very vulnerable to theft - either from railway enthusiasts or from scrappies.

The name plate came from a bulldog (sure thats right) class loco. It was scrapped at which time after john bought peacock he then bought the name plate. When he sold peacock he gave it to swindon museum as this is where the loco came from this is also the reason he sold the boat to Birmingham museum.

There is a photo of a sister loco on peacock on the back right hand side near to where you put your head.

The name plate couldnt be removed unless you could get inside as the bolts were coach bolts with big washers and nuts on the inside i know this as on the inside you could see where the washers are and on close look on photos the bolts holind the plate on are smooth no heads for a socket.

Peacock looked pretty much the same for the hole time john owned her. She was docked every year when johns lorry went for mot so he use to take a week off to do this. I have seen a pic of john on dock with peacock.