Fitting Solar Panels

wullie

Featured Posts

I want to fit solar panels to the roof, suggestions, would you drill and tap brackets or tick down, if sticking best type of adhesive for this job, i would rather stick than drill but open to advice from people in the know, as usual grateful for all the help i get.

I want to fit solar panels to the roof, suggestions, would you drill and tap brackets or tick down, if sticking best type of adhesive for this job, i would rather stick than drill but open to advice from people in the know, as usual grateful for all the help i get.

I stuck mine with Sikaflex, and has remained solidly stuck for past 18 months.

Just to point out I am talking about the flexible type panels, rather than the rigid ones.

Edited by Rebotco

It depends on how you want them to sit, if using caravan style corner mounts, sticking will probably suffice. If you are using brackets so you can angle them, or fit over mushroom vents, you may need to drill and tap.

some people say that they dont want holes in their roof - when you point out that they already have 4 holes for every mushroom vent, 6 or 8 for water heater vents and 4 or 8 for plank/pole racks etc, they usually say," Oh, go on then"

So long as you degrease the area after tapping, fill the hole and surround with a decent sealant (sikaflex recommended) before inserting the bolt, you will have no worries about water ingress at all.

PM me if you need advice

................ So long as you degrease the area after tapping, fill the hole and surround with a decent sealant (sikaflex recommended) before inserting the bolt, you will have no worries about water ingress at all.

PM me if you need advice

Thanks for the tip on degreasing.

Also, would you advise only tightening down loosely until the sikaflex has got off, or tighten down hard straight away?

Thanks.

As it is very windy where I am I would not trust adhesive for anything other than a small panel. Mine are 220W panels held down by 4 brackets - 1 per corner. I leave mine horizontal.

I used M8 bolts into rivet nuts as I don't like tapping big holes

To seal the rivet nut I coated the outside with epoxy as I inserted and set it it and left it to cure. I put the bolt in with mastic on the threads and fully tightened it down. This was a couple of years ago and no leaks.

We have two 100w panels very securely held with magnets too. Our are on a simple slightly angled wooden frame which is not held down other than by the panels and four magnets which have eyebolts. No problems at all with high winds of which we seem to get plenty of in Lancashire.

Interesting - what size panels and what size magnets please?

Not sure the physical size, but they are 250W panels. Magnets I think are 68Kg pull, 100mm dia. Worth putting some padding between the magnets and your roof to save the paint and stop rust stains

Not sure the physical size, but they are 250W panels. Magnets I think are 68Kg pull, 100mm dia. Worth putting some padding between the magnets and your roof to save the paint and stop rust stains

We've just ordered 2x 250w panels so will investigate the magnet solution as it sounds ideal!

Makes them easy to lift off with a screwdriver fairly quietly and quickly. Of course perfectly secure until some scrote comes along and removes the panel.

My thinking is that big panels - 200W or more are less likely to be stolen by an opportunist simply because they are too big and heavy to run off with.

I doubt they have much resale value 'down the pub' either.

I have never heard of a boater having a big panel stolen but it must have happened.

Interesting! I have never considered these as a substitute for drilling and bolting. How secure are these with respect to theft of panels and how do you remove them when needed, for painting etc?

Not sure about the theft bit as the boat is kept in a marina. But taking no chances have used chain on each panel.

As for removing. You can lever each side of the panel and put magnet keepers back on and also a few bit if wood under each magnet helps.

The only downside is, if you don't put something between the magnet and roof, it will damage you paintwork, and possibly also show rust spots I used a bit if damp proof course between magnet and boat. Time will tell if it makes any difference

My thinking is that big panels - 200W or more are less likely to be stolen by an opportunist simply because they are too big and heavy to run off with.

I doubt they have much resale value 'down the pub' either.

I have never heard of a boater having a big panel stolen but it must have happened.

A few years ago, Titchmarsh lock (23 River Nene) had solar panels fitted on top of the gate superstructure to charge the batteries powering the gate. The panels were nicked within in a week.