Water Point on the Nene at Peterborough

Theo

Featured Posts

There is some lovely new plumbing attached to the water point. It consists of a new drain cock for frost days, a screwdriver operated ball valve to shut isolate a complicated bit of brass work with three little plastic levers on the top and a plastic cage underneath. It all looks very shiny and there is a sheet of instructions carefully placed behind the complicated bit of brass work which say, if memory serves me right.

To use this water point correctly these instructions must be followed exactly:

1. Open Outside tap.

2. Open lever valve

3. Close lever valve

4. Close outside tap

The first difficulty that I encountered was a lack of obvious lever tap. So I tried doing things with the three little plastic levers on the top of the complicated bit of brass work. They appeared to be air bleed valves so I just had to use the Outside tap it the usual way.

Water issued forth at the measured rate of 5 litres per minute. Theodora's tank has a volume of about 1000 litres so a calculation reveals that if empty it would take 3 hours and 20 minutes to fill. I think that this is a bit slow.

Just thought that you would like to know.

Just to complete the story, I listened to the hissing of the plumbing and determined that the flow reduction occurred in the complicated bit of brass work so a method for bypassing this would be needed to speed up tank filling. The drain cock with the half inch spigot seemed a possibility and I had a suitable selection of jubilee clips...

We left the water point less than 90 minutes later.

Nick

Nick

When it was a fire-hose reel, that was the "fastest water point in the west". How are the mighty fallen!

MP.

ETA. We're moored at Woodford tonight and heading downriver towards you. Give us a wave when we pass.

Edited by MoominPapa

When it was a fire-hose reel, that was the "fastest water point in the west". How are the mighty fallen!

MP.

ETA. We're moored at Woodford tonight and heading downriver towards you. Give us a wave when we pass.

We are still in Peterborough for the night, having had a really excellent Chinese meal on the Grain Barge. We'll look out for you. What colour is she?

Is there still a working pump out there ?

Haven't a clue but there are two or three cabinets with the pumpout logo on them so there is a goodish chance that one of them will work. I used the surprisingly clean Elsan disposal. For those who don't know it in the disused 1960's (?) toilet block on the side away from the river. It's labelled "Sluice". You need the standard Abloy key and a bit of force once you have operated the lock.

N

that's handy to know.

all this buggering about, it would have been cheaper to fix the original problem!

When we were there April 2015, just after the hose was cut by Anglian Water, together the boaters cobbled up a tap connector using a bit of hose pipe, a bit of copper pipe and a washing machine hose connector. A sensible plumber who could shut the water supply off should have taken about 15 minutes to remove the remnants of the original hose pipe and fit a reducer and tap connector, using the original tap to control the flow.

On returning in September, I couldn't believe the pigs breakfast they had made of it with those extra lever taps and pipework that went round the houses. And poorly secured as I recall.

Edited by pearley

When we were there April 2015, just after the hose was cut by Anglian Water, together the boaters cobbled up a two connector using a bit of hose pipe, a bit of copper pipe and a saying machine hose connector. A sensible plumber who could shut the water supply off should have taken about 15 minutes to remove the remnants if the original hose pipe and fit a reducer and two connector, using the original tap to control the flow flow.

On returning in September, I couldn't believe the pigs breakfast they had made of it with those extra lever taps and pipework that went round the houses. And poorly secured as I recall.

Yes, You're right, it's not what you would call a job to be proud of!