How do we live?

Retardedrocker

Featured Posts

I use a kettle and a bucket to wash. Permanently dirty and have a unique smell (stink). Use Audible books and go shooting and walk the dog .

This is the only website I browse now, no moreYoutube or pirate sites (I miss Major Crimes). Try to get to bed by 8pm as I'm pooped and would have been up since 4am (empty dog)

Once you'll get used to this unique smell (stink) you'll never want to go back to that smelly and bloody expensive Chanel 5 anymore hug.gif

Peter.

Does that mean I don't have to roll around in pot-pouri before meeting civilians :(

(I rather enjoyed that bit of boating life)

I had to read that twice. I thought it read you roll around in Porta Potti before meeting civilians! Edited by rusty69

Really? Why?

and just as I was considering getting one!!

It was fine, well, ok, in just the right spot, open country, wind not too strong nor weak,no turbulence, it gave us some slow top up, but nothing like solar, plus the moan it makes, and the hassle of putting it up and down every time we cruised, it just wasn't worth while for us. Never ever needed it in summer so was stored in the boat then...precious space in the engine room, so we gave it away for free. See, if you were on face ache more you'd have seen and had the chance of it for free! :) Edited by Ally

It was fine, well, ok, in just the right spot, open country, wind not too strong nor weak,no turbulence, it gave us some slow top up, but nothing like solar, plus the moan it makes, and the hassle of putting it up and down every time we cruised, it just wasn't worth while for us. Never ever needed it in summer so was stored in the boat then...precious space in the engine room, so we gave it away for free. See, if you were on face ache more you'd have seen and had the chance of it for free! smile.png

That explains why the vast majority of these things you see on boats are folded flat usually covered in dead leaves and moss.

I really do wonder about land based turbines, my sister lives on a high ridge poking out into the North Sea and it is seriously windy most of the time. Shortly after moving there they engaged an energy consultant thinking it would be the perfect place for a wind generator but after taking some measurements he strongly advised them not to waste their money.

You are entering a strange world where things like fenders up or down while cruising can bring virtual murder down on you. Enjoy, my friend.biggrin.png

Fenders up or down is a funny one isn't it?

With our current boat I wouldn't dream of travelling with the fenders down but with our planned next boat which we will live on, they will in all probability end up staying down rolleyes.gif

Fenders up or down is a funny one isn't it?

With our current boat I wouldn't dream of travelling with the fenders down but with our planned next boat which we will live on, they will in all probability end up staying down :rolleyes:

To be fair NC, your boat is a seagoing cruiser and hence not really typical.

However, if you're already in the habit of deploying fenders only when you need them and lifting them when you don't, why would you not keep up that practice? Maybe after the first one rips off as you enter a lock you'll be more likely to see the benefits and you won't be contributing to the sunken pipe fender under the gate phenomenon.

To be fair NC, your boat is a seagoing cruiser and hence not really typical.

However, if you're already in the habit of deploying fenders only when you need them and lifting them when you don't, why would you not keep up that practice? Maybe after the first one rips off as you enter a lock you'll be more likely to see the benefits and you won't be contributing to the sunken pipe fender under the gate phenomenon.

The boats we are looking at lend themselves more to leaving the fenders down.

alpha-craft-35_1341820698.jpg

They are all in the region of 12ft wide plus fenders so we won't be sharing locks (other then large river locks) anyway.

The fenders we use don't sink.

The boats we are looking at lend themselves more to leaving the fenders down.

alpha-craft-35_1341820698.jpg

They are all in the region of 12ft wide plus fenders so we won't be sharing locks (other then large river locks) anyway.

The fenders we use don't sink.

Yeah, I can see why you might leave the fenders down on one of those! captain.gif

Our plan - well aim/reason to become live a boards was a bit of everything:

to slow down...

make an effort to engage with as many different kinds of people as possible - as is the "natural way" of many boaters...

we stopped worrying about having enough savings to do things safely and came around to the thought we may be dead tomorrow so would be miffed to have missed out.

being on a boat is a bit like "playing dens" when you were a kid - every day can be an adventure.

to get away from unnecessary technology but USE stuff that can be useful.

take the time to read books we'd not normally be drawn to.

ditching a list of chores in favour of chatting with someone you've only just met on the tow path...I might be the only person they speak to this week!

to stop judging folk on appearances, instead on their actions.

becoming part of a community willing to help each other - despite different opinions on cassette or pump out.

.....I'm rambling... YES we like our creature comforts but when everything else fails, the batteries are flat and it's cold and dark outside, we can curl up infront of the fire and stare out of the window at the dark star filled sky and dream.

Well that's the plan anyway!boat.gif

Hi Quaysider after 11 years living aboard some of this sounds a tiny bit rose coloured spectacles BUT it's definitely still like playing dens :-) enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

I get a kick out of how hi-tech conveniences and sophisticated equipment is often hidden away in even the most traditional looking of narrowboats. You know, tub freezers under a bench seat, inverters behind gingham curtains, flat screen TVs or 12v fridges secreted behind finely joined oak panels. Many want nice, easy, labour-saving - even cool - devices. But we want to be TRAD too!

One of my favourite off-grid devices, that came with the boat, is a Saxon hand-crank coffee bean grinder mounted on the galley wall. Now that's cool AND trad.

I get a kick out of how hi-tech conveniences and sophisticated equipment is often hidden away in even the most traditional looking of narrowboats. You know, tub freezers under a bench seat, inverters behind gingham curtains, flat screen TVs or 12v fridges secreted behind finely joined oak panels. Many want nice, easy, labour-saving - even cool - devices. But we want to be TRAD too!

One of my favourite off-grid devices, that came with the boat, is a Saxon hand-crank coffee bean grinder mounted on the galley wall. Now that's cool AND trad.

Little Wing: Hendrix fan??

T.

Didn't know whether to put this here or in the Virtual Pub, but here I am, so here goes.

This all popped into my mind for two reasons. First, the ever higher specification of new boats: you know the sort of thing, granite work tops, jacuzzis, power showers, servants quarters etc and secondly something I read on a post (can't remember by whom) about 'two lights and a pump lifestyle'.

One of the things that attracted me to life aboard was the minimalist thing; only using what you need, no waste, simple and the two approaches don't seem compatable. Can you, or more to the point, should you try to turn a narrowboat into a 5 bed 3 recep. detached house in 2 acres?

Don't think I'm criticising anybody, because I'm not. We all do what we all do, but I'm interested.

Cheers,

T.

Can you? of course you can ....... Should you? You should do whatever makes you happy within reason! ...... Whatever floats your boat as they say! ........ Seems to me you were hoping to stir up some anti mod cons brigade. Like another poster has already mentioned I find it hilarious how many advocating back to nature lifestyles are posting on here. Then again the individuals living with granite work tops, jacuzzis, power showers, servants quarters probably believe they are living a minimalistic lifestyle. Bet theres not many on here who dont have power showers, or should I say pumped showers. tongue.png

I love living on my boat, but decided I would make her as easy as possible to manage. I have to work so can't cruise as much as I would like although I have spent my time and money on improving her where I can. She's an old girl so I have had to be realistic in any additions, my ability to power everything without hook up was a big concern.

As I'm outside most of the day, I want her warm when I get home, I don't want to spend my time off in the launderette and sometimes I just want a quick meal.

My set up enables me to enjoy my boat with as little effort as possible. Everyone wants something different from their boat, no one is right or wrong, I love the diversity on the water.

• Greenie 1

I have added bits here and there as I find what works best, where I prefer to be working, relaxing and cruising.

A lot more 12v stuff has gone in because the inverter is so thirsty just being on, in Summer this doesn't matter, in Nov-Feb it does.

My stove stays in October-March - unless I am away for more than 3 days - stove still going for 48 hours is easily achievable if riddled, loaded and vented with deference to the expected wind conditions.

I do not lack anything that house dwellers have(that I want), but have much more than they do.

The interesting challenge now is adapting the boat for two of us, one of who due to career needs an iron and other accouterments on a regular basis.