Water Cans and Handbowls

pete harrison

Featured Posts

The latest addition to my collection has just been delivered. I have bought this 2 gallon Can to use and I consider the paintwork to be only 'adequate' - hence it is for using and the paint will inevitably become damaged, but can anybody name the painter ('Ray T' - it is not Rolf Harris). Apparently it was bought as a holiday souvenir at Braunston at least 30 years ago.  

I believe this to be a Lester's Can and it is both galvanised and watertight, and as it has never had water in it before it is effectively a new can for £69.25 :captain:

Water Can purchased via Ebay 19 October 2017 - right.jpg

Edited by pete harrison

Hi Pete

Just seen your post. It certainly looks like one of Lester’s to me too. I’ve seen the painting before, though I can’t yet put a name to it. There is a strong suggestion to me of the influence of Ron Hough, especially in the landscape. Not long before I collect from Rose, now.

Dave

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

The latest addition to my collection has just been delivered. I have bought this 2 gallon Can to use and I consider the paintwork to be only 'adequate' - hence it is for using and the paint will inevitably become damaged, but can anybody name the painter ('Ray T' - it is not Rolf Harris). Apparently it was bought as a holiday souvenir at Braunston at least 30 years ago.  

I believe this to be a Lester's Can and it is both galvanised and watertight, and as it has never had water in it before it is effectively a new can for £69.25 :captain:

Water Can purchased via Ebay 19 October 2017 - right.jpg

Damn,

I was looking at that one, and I think you have got it at a good price.

I didn't think it that bad - at least it is simple, without the recent trend for the completely overblown - but as you say one to actually use.

Count yourself lucky - if I hadn't got distracted by something else, one of us would have paid more than you did!

13 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Damn,

I didn't think it that bad - at least it is simple, without the recent trend for the completely overblown - but as you say one to actually use.

Count yourself lucky - if I hadn't got distracted by something else, one of us would have paid more than you did!

It was a close thing even though there were only two bidders, including me. I had been watching this Can for several days and there were no bids at all until I placed an 'exploratory bid' on the last day just to see if anybody else was watching. There was nothing else until the last minute but fortunately I had pre-loaded my maximum at £75.00 and the other bidder ran out of time with a couple of frantic bids. I am very happy with both the Can and the price.

What does surprise me is that how accessible reasonably priced Cans can be, and all of those I have bought in the past year or so have been effectively new and unused items that are galvanised, watertight and well painted - dating from the 1980's and 1990's. I appreciate the high value market is towards the period items painted by Nurser and the like, but I have little interest in these.

I think I am just about done with buying Cans now (maybe another 3 gallon Can) as I am getting over run with the things, as well as having two more on order. I am facing some huge expense next year so frittering away money on bits and pieces just because they are for sale has got to stop - but please don't remind me of these words when I buy something else that I don't need :captain:

• Happy 1

21 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

....................but please don't remind me of these words when I buy something else that I don't need :captain:

Unless I've missed something, I think we are all waiting to hear if you have spent far more money on a boat suitable to display your can collection on.

I'm not sure you are going to tell us, though!

26 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I am facing some huge expense next year so frittering away money on bits and pieces just because they are for sale has got to stop - but please don't remind me of these words when I buy something else that I don't need :captain:

Tease. :giggles:

Edited by mark99

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Unless I've missed something, I think we are all waiting to hear if you have spent far more money on a boat suitable to display your can collection on.

I'm not sure you are going to tell us, though!

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Tease. :giggles:

I am not sure my Cans would look right on the roof of this (my car but not my photograph) :captain:

000.jpg

Edited by pete harrison

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

No visible rivets, even fake ones! :P

These cars are alloy and are held together by bonding and rivets. Unfortunately the rivets are zinc plated steel so corrosion will almost certainly be a problem in the future - which may well lead to re-bottoming..........................................Hmmm sounds familiar :captain:

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/10/2017 at 17:34, alan_fincher said:

Damn,

Here you go Alan as I will not be bidding on this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buckby-Can-Bargeware-canalware-barge-narrowboat-canal-water-can/142577541482?hash=item213248a16a:g:oHAAAOSwh1haCHak

8 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Beautiful! - If only I could afford it!  :sick:

• 4 weeks later...

And a few days ago I won the matching handbowl from the same seller as the last water can bought back in October, and again unused apart from hanging in a kitchen for 30 years (and falling off on at least one occasion as it has a slightly bent rim). Just like the matched Water Can this handbowl is good to use rather than preserve:

5a2d8af8cd013_HandbowlpurchasedviaEbay05December2017-left.jpg.e25ee2ce65e8f497057bca9f0de7c4c9.jpg5a2d8b7e64a3e_HandbowlpurchasedviaEbay05December2017-view.jpg.9560642e530596b58b7d702c8c5f5370.jpg:

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 23:28, pete harrison said:

Quite a nice 3 gallon Can by Jan Deuchar. either requires a little TLC for display or a good one to use:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-Large-Hand-painted-Canal-Ware-Bargeware-Buckby-Style-Can-Water-Carrier/253355374377?hash=item3afd283729:g:VosAAOSwXf1aU37I

s-l1600.jpg

Just sold at £91.98 (+£7.20) postage.

I bid, but wasn't going that high.

(A shame, as Sickle's art work is all by Jan Deuchar, so it would have matched!)

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Just sold at £91.98 (+£7.20) postage.

I bid, but wasn't going that high.

(A shame, as Sickle's art work is all by Jan Deuchar, so it would have matched!)

I was going to bid on this can, but the keyboard on my laptop mysteriously stopped working so I couldn't. Now using the laptop with a USB keyboard as the keyboard is confirmed as kaput - so I think a new laptop will be on the shopping list later in the week :captain:

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, fittie said:

I have a leaky water can (Buckby style). How should i repair it, any ideas? It leaks from around the seam on the base of the can. the can is galvanised and in general good order.

I had an Edwardian Thunderbox on Owl with a large galvanised receptacle - like an oversized biucket.  When it leaked around the seams I repaired it sucessfully with JB weld.

On 28/01/2018 at 09:39, fittie said:

I have a leaky water can (Buckby style). How should i repair it, any ideas? It leaks from around the seam on the base of the can. the can is galvanised and in general good order.

I have watched a Tinsmith making tin ware, and the traditional method is solder and flux, heated with a large soldering iron. When I sweated a new bottom into a coal scuttle i used a small gas blowtorch

All I can say is that when I ended up with one of those poor quality leaky cans originating from the Black Country Metalworks, that I found it incredibly hard to seal the leaks, even using the correct flux and solder. (I had to use a torch, not having a massive iron available).  The flux tended not to work, and the solder chased around from place to place, refusing to "take" on the galvanising, and it was hard to persuade it to penetrate into the join.  I did get it watertight eventually, but the end result was far messier than I hoped, (and had used far more solder than I hoped!).

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

All I can say is that when I ended up with one of those poor quality leaky cans originating from the Black Country Metalworks, that I found it incredibly hard to seal the leaks, even using the correct flux and solder. (I had to use a torch, not having a massive iron available).  The flux tended not to work, and the solder chased around from place to place, refusing to "take" on the galvanising, and it was hard to persuade it to penetrate into the join.  I did get it watertight eventually, but the end result was far messier than I hoped, (and had used far more solder than I hoped!).

When I repaired Burco Boilers we used to use a paint on solder flux stuff and then heat with a blowlamp. Far to long ago to remember what it was