stained glass window

rustydiver

Featured Posts

Does anyone have one in their boat.

We have a largish window opposite our toilet which has the blind always closed has anyone had a stained glass window made to act as a secondary window behind the main window to allow more light and colour through but not to be seen while sat on the dunni.

Would the size, i haven't got measurements on me, make it too flimsy, will boat vibrations effect it.

Lets see yours if you have please.

Check out the craft bitts on Fleabay/Amazon. I have used adhesive film with adheasie 'lead' straws to make realistic stained glass look alikes. Lasts for years. If you'r feeling artistic glass paint is good too but isn't as tough unless you get into the etch types which are great but expensive and difficult to use 'case of the acid types used.

I've got a porthole with a stained glass panel of a kingfisher in it. It was on the boat already. I had a close look at it and it looks like someone has been able to seal it inside a sealed double glazing unit. I only looked carefully a couple of days ago as had been thinking of a bigger porthole to replace it.

I also have a nice rectangular panel from house door which I stuck on the outside of a window using sikaflex - just for experimenting - and it has stayed stuck about a year now - outdoors.

That's at the front not a side window. I wouldn't do it external on a side window as a rope would get it at some point.

Edited by magnetman

I am a stained glass artist. You can certainly make one in an evening class. That would be better than buying all the kit and starting from scratch. Only tip is don't go for darker glass as you lose a lot of light that way.

They are expensive to have someone else make though being time consuming.

Stick on lead and coloured film/paint tends to look exactly like what it is, an imitation, but lots of boats seem to have that.

However as an alternative, you might consider a custom made film frost graphic. My boat has all the windows treated in this way as the big windows were just too inviting to gonggozlers and other boaters. They look exactly like etched glass patterns and have lasted 10 years so far, and we get at least one admiring comment a day - they look lovely, while providing a degree of privacy, which you can choose by design.

I used a company called 'Scattybat graphics', on t'internet, and I heartily recommend them.

We had a similar issue. Rather than stained glass we bought a roll of frosted effect plastic from B&Q to give a frosted glass effect. We have since replaced the windows and have frosted glass at the window.

At our galley window we have used a patterned plastic covering to cover the bottom part of the glass rather then have curtains, we bought this from http://www.purlfrost.com/who also do various stained glass effect panels.

I am a stained glass artist. You can certainly make one in an evening class. That would be better than buying all the kit and starting from scratch. Only tip is don't go for darker glass as you lose a lot of light that way.

Stick on lead and coloured film/paint tends to look exactly like what it is, an imitation, but lots of boats seem to have that.

However as an alternative, you might consider a custom made film frost graphic. My boat has all the windows treated in this way as the big windows were just too inviting to gonggozlers and other boaters. They look exactly like etched glass patterns and have lasted 10 years so far, and we get at least one admiring comment a day - they look lovely, while providing a degree of privacy, which you can choose by design.

I used a company called 'Scattybat graphics', on t'internet, and I heartily recommend them.

http://www.scattybat.co.uk/wall.htmlis the link. Do you have any photos of your windows?

This is something I'd love to learn. We've got a bathroom with a plain glass window across the passage, and like the OP we have to keep a blind down.

There are some relatively cheap kits on ebay and Amazon, and I'm always consulting youtube for ideas and lessons.

As a secondary, 'privacy' layer, you could maybe make a hinged panel and inset 'fragments' of stained glass.

I've been working on a set of shutters which are are similar:

post-18474-0-64193400-1475605423_thumb.jpg

I got mine off Ebay, others available: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-smal-old-pieces-of-victorian-painted-glass-/262614865823?hash=item3d2510d79f:g:4scAAOSwFV9X0UIL

For more light, eithe use more glass or just put some holes in e.g., with a Forstner bit.

Edited by Sir Percy

My aunt and cousin made this window panel for a doctor's surgery in Upton on Severn

They included a narrowboat in the picture and added the name Vesta, the picture has a lot of artistic license

doc2.jpg

doc1.jpg

That is a lovely piece of work, including what looks like a great deal of fired enamel/paint work. Not the sort of thing you can do in an evening class!

We have a pair of stained glass portholes in our bathroom. They were made by Bonnie at the Purple Stained Glass Studio near Loughborough. There is a gallery of stained glass windows & portholes made for Narrowboats on their website..

That is a lovely piece of work, including what looks like a great deal of fired enamel/paint work. Not the sort of thing you can do in an evening class!

I beg to differ, it's EXACTLY the type of thing you can get to do in evening classes, not in one evening I grant you, but in a term or two, or three.

We have a pair of stained glass portholes in our bathroom. They were made by Bonnie at the Purple Stained Glass Studio near Loughborough. There is a gallery of stained glass windows & portholes made for Narrowboats on their website..

yes that's the place I went

I think in my case i would agree with you, when you look into the artwork on it.

I can't draw let alone do art.

Kathryn, the Pod Art lady, is making us a pair of her panels to replace the plain glass in our front doors.

She is still working on it, but we have seen pictures and it looks amazing.

We already have a piece of Kathryn's work, I'm not sure what you would call it*, but we stand it on the dinette table in front of the window and the light shining through it brings the whole thing to life. In the evening we put a candle behind it.

( * I think you might call it a sconce??)