Forum folk, I need your help (again)

Dave_P

Featured Posts

There was an earlier 'test' version which had the option of 'I use the towpath every day'. Pedantic people pointed out that everyone has days when they're ill and don't go out, or are visiting elsewhere, or are moored on rivers with no towpath. So I changed it.

The best advice I can give is to choose the best fit option which reflects your opinion/ experience.

Which I did!

What about the question that incorrectly asserts cyclists have priority on the towpath? Does cyclist priority genuinely exist on certain towpaths (those near you, perhaps)?

Done it, please let us know the reults when they are in.

As MTB said " 18. I am concerned that cyclists now have priority on towpaths --- Impossible to answer given cyclists don't have priority on towpaths"

that question is wrong and needs changing, please

What about the question that incorrectly asserts cyclists have priority on the towpath? Does cyclist priority genuinely exist on certain towpaths (those near you, perhaps)?

Although the format of the quiz prevents one returning to it once one has finished filling it in, I don't think that the question stated that they did. As I remember it, it was more like "I am concerned that Cyclists have priority".....in other words, that in the eyes of the person filling in the answers, cyclists appeared to, or gave the impression of, having priority. Not so?

As MTB said " 18. I am concerned that cyclists now have priority on towpaths

I don't think so.

Done it, please let us know the reults when they are in.

As MTB said " 18. I am concerned that cyclists now have priority on towpaths --- Impossible to answer given cyclists don't have priority on towpaths"

I would change the question to

'most people believe that other users must give way to cyclists'

Although the format of the quiz prevents one returning to it once one has finished filling it in, I don't think that the question stated that they did. As I remember it, it was more like "I am concerned that Cyclists have priority".....in other words, that in the eyes of the person filling in the answers, cyclists appeared to, or gave the impression of, having priority. Not so?

I don't think so.

Yes it did!

I copied and pasted the question verbatim into my post. Here is is again:

"18. I am concerned that cyclists now have priority on towpaths."

Although I grant you it is not a question but a statement, which which we are asked to chose our level of agreement.

So, are there any towpaths where "cyclists now have priority"?

Yes it did!

I copied and pasted the question verbatim into my post. Here is is again:

"18. I am concerned that cyclists now have priority on towpaths."

Precisely. It does not state that cyclists have priority, just as I said. "I am concerned that the world is heading for war" does not constitute a statement that the world is heading for war, it expresses the speaker's perception and concern that this may happen, not a fctc.

Edited by Athy

I have now changed the wording of that question to help clear up the confusion. My intention was to uncover what people's worries and concerns might be, rather than what is any official rule. The new wording is, to my mind, more 'wordy' though but maybe it's less open to misunderstanding.

New wording "I believe that the installation of hard surfaces means that cyclists now have priority on those towpaths"

Remember, I will be getting responses from all users. it will be interesting (hopefully) to compare how cyclists perceive their level of priority, compared to others.

Thanks again to all who have done it. And thanks for the comments received. I'm taking them all on board so the forum is acting as a sort of guinea pig...

May I ask where you are doing this Masters?

Same place as the last one - University of Birmingham.

My last MSc was Environmental Health and done out of choice.

This one is Urban and Regional Planning and has been foisted on me by my employer.

I remember you commenting on the thread relating to my last dissertation!

Same place as the last one - University of Birmingham.

My last MSc was Environmental Health and done out of choice.

This one is Urban and Regional Planning and has been foisted on me by my employer.

I remember you commenting on the thread relating to my last dissertation!

Professional interest! smile.png

Done it cheers will you ever get a job though with all these qualification

Already have one. At the moment I'm working full time through the week and spending weekends in the library. That's my life from now until Christmas. I want to go cruising!

I have had 221 questionnaires completed so far which is great. Some rather strange anomalies though which I'll have to unpick.

For example, 52 percent of respondents cycle on the towpath, but around 90% of respondents answered this statement "I enjoy cycling along the towpath without having to worry about traffic" even though they had the option to skip it.

Can anyone explain this?