Long Underwear!

sailor0500

Featured Posts

Hi everyone.There seem to be a few posts about heating the boat. Must be the time of year. Must say that having lived aboard my last two yachts and now my narrow-boat for a total of 20years I find long underwear invaluable in winter. Usually buy from M&S and it saves a fortune on heating bills.Only need the stove lighting when it's really cold. Chilly evenings I just use small frost protection heater from ebay.in cabin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dimplex-FW600-600W-Frost-Protection-Heater-/141812065148?hash=item2104a8637c:g:k~0AAOSw5ZBWJPpN

Last winter I bought some girly long John's and thermal top from Peacocks since there's one local to me. The long John's were really effective but the top is too short and a cold midriff means cold everything! :banned:

I need to find a decent length long sleeved thermal underwear top this winter

Last winter I bought some girly long John's and thermal top from Peacocks since there's one local to me. The long John's were really effective but the top is too short and a cold midriff means cold everything! banned.gif

I need to find a decent length long sleeved thermal underwear top this winter

my youngest son donated his thermals to one in need...me..they are not fetching and kinda swamp the figure but they are warm. They were quite expensive as the young don't do cheap...consider getting mens top.

Edited by patty-ann

We spend the winter as we do in summer, in T-shirts and just a 4 tog duvet on the bed.

We may live on a boat but we ain't camping.

Why should we have to put up with being cold, we weren't in our house and see no reason to be cold on our boat

Phil

Do you eat strawberries all year round too?

It's great that we can mitigate the worst effects of winter with heating, but wanting to dress the same all year round is going a bit far!

I often wear long johns when outdoors in the winter. Indoors its far too warm as the fire is always going.

I'm very thin (6ft2 and 62kg 42 year old male) so they are very helpful. M&S do decent gear.

Typo

Edited by magnetman

Do you eat strawberries all year round too?

It's great that we can mitigate the worst effects of winter with heating, but wanting to dress the same all year round is going a bit far!

Not fussed for strawberries but we dress as we do through choice and because we can. As I said, we never had a cold house and see no reason to live any differently now we are afloat.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

We spend the winter as we do in summer, in T-shirts and just a 4 tog duvet on the bed.

Why should we have to put up with being cold, we weren't in our house and see no reason to be cold on our boat

Phil

I'm with you on this Phil, why would you sit in a cold boat.

I did'nt do cold in a house and i don't do cold on a boat.

post-22282-0-54444000-1475350032_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rickent

Phil

Don't you ever leave the Boat? I find its when I go outside that it's cold. :)

I'm with you on this Phil, why would you sit in a cold boat.

I did'nt do cold in a house and i don't do cold on a boat.

I was looking at this about keeping warm when moving the boat.

I'll be weaeing long johns. thermals and a big warm sheepskin with a flask of something warm, coffee or/and vodka.

But in doors it'll be toasty.

Just the stove on. With something cooking on top.

Another satisfied customer for M & S thermals here.

I've got some cheapie grey thermal T shirts from the market as well which are fine for work. Cheap enough not to care about getting scruffy.

I don't do cold so it's lots of layers to keep me warm in winter.

Don't you ever leave the Boat? I find its when I go outside that it's cold. smile.png

Just what I was thinking. Some on these moorings are never to be seen on cold days. I like to be active and always finding things to do. Hence the thermals. And the plus side is I don't spend as much on fuel. I think having the boat too hot makes one soft and not feel like doing anything. Amazing how many on the cut look out of condition. Also I can't sleep in a hot room. Some boats are overpowering.

Edited by sailor0500

Just what I was thinking. Some on these moorings are never to be seen on cold days. I like to be active and always finding things to do. Hence the thermals. And the plus side is I don't spend as much on fuel. I think having the boat too hot makes one soft and not feel like doing anything. Amazing how many on the cut look out of condition. Also I can't sleep in a hot room. Some boats are overpowering.

It's all a matter of personal choice, we choose to have a warm boat, when we go out we dress accordingly , you choose to have a cold boat and dress accordingly indoors and out, so nobody is right and nobody is wrong.

It doesn't bother me that you feel you need to be active so likewise it shouldn't bother you if others prefer to just kick back on their boat.

Phil

As a carry-over from cycling days (when I'd cycle to work in temperatures down to -8C!) the best thermals I have found are the merino wool ones. Extremely warm and it doesn't even matter it they get wet since they still keep you warm, because of this I have also used them to good effect in some offshore sailing excursions. Wouldn't be without themrolleyes.gif