Ways to keep warm

rgriffiths

Featured Posts

Looking forward to the colder months I am looking to install some heating on a 57' boat (in addition to the wood burner up front) just to heat the bedroom or bedroom and bathroom at the back. I am familiar with the Alde or Webasto + radiator type, but I was wondering if anyone out there has any alternatives to consider.

To start with I have been looking at a Webasto Air Top but I was worried about the potential battery consumption but A 2KW heater appears to use between 14 – 29 watts which doesn't sound too bad. Does anyone have any experience of these?

Any other ideas?

I know I could wear a extra jumper but this is not for me (honest!)

Try the wood burner first ,it maybe all you need as they can get the boat really toasty ,but i suppose it depends on stove position,insulation etc

The wood burner is great but I am interested in the options of additional heating that might be available. Something new might be out there.

@Naughty Cal - that's a good recommendation - thank you.

As your not on shore power then I presume it's on how much you want to spend. A fan circulating the hot air from the front to the back would be a temporary cheap solution before spending money on a problem that may not exist?

Also how do you get hot water? If via a calorfier then a hydro heater may be more appropriate even if you use a exchanger to blow hot air out.

May be use a stove fan to circulate air from the wood burner to the back of the boat. Costs nothing to run!

something like this

http://www.warriorstoves.co.uk/Catalogue/Fireside/Heating-Accessories/Stove-Fan-2-Blade-ELITE-19cm-Compact-Various-Finishes

(I selected the above link at random from google i have no idea if that particular one is the best or not)

My secondary heating (in the absence of a working Eberspacher - mine is purely and frustratingly decorative) is a Taylor's heater. It's a nifty little wall-mounted diesel heater that is drip fed so requires no leccy. It churns out 2.1kw and has no ash or dust. They're more often seen on yachts than boats. Expensive to buy new but I got mine second hand off eBay for a few hundred squids and it was easy to install myself (although I got a boatyard to cut the hole in the roof).

This is it shortly before I finished the installation:

10329274_10152003642431261_4498419005374

Edited by BlueStringPudding

My secondary heating (in the absence of a working Eberspacher - mine is purely and frustratingly decorative) is a Taylor's heater. It's a nifty little wall-mounted diesel heater that is drip fed so requires no leccy. It churns out 2.1kw and has no ash or dust. They're more often seen on yachts than boats. Expensive to buy new but I got mine second hand off eBay for a few hundred squids and it was easy to install myself (although I got a boatyard to cut the hole in the roof).

Had one of those Taylors heaters in a previous Boat,serious piece of kit

Have installed and repaired many Evilsparkerblastokunis over the years and none of them could ever match the reliability and simple ruggedness of a Taylor

CT

Edited by cereal tiller

Yes! i have looked at these, very nice. Is there much of a smell of fumes off them?

Yes! i have looked at these, very nice. Is there much of a smell of fumes off them?

Very little because most of the fumes go up the flue pipe. And I certainly don't notice any diesel smell from the little tank. It's not something I'd want to leave running at night or when I was out though. It has a number of safety cut out devices but I still wouldn't feel happy leaving it unattended.

Lots to think about:

- signifacant other ... as mentioned at the beggining this is for someone else and will pass on the tip, while I am being kept very warm :)

- Very interested in the Taylor heater. I have had a look at these but thought they might be a little hazardous in the bedroom where space is tight (touching it as you walked by it). How high can they be placed?

Any other ideas?

I know I could wear a extra jumper but this is not for me (honest!)

When we woked freight boats in the 70s a born-and-bred boatwoman told Di that in November when it got cold she should cover herself in bacon fat or similar grease and then wrap herself in brown paper. She should keep herself wrapped snug like that until Easter, or whenever the weather became generally warm again. Boating folk worked long hours, no matter what the weather, and she said that is what she did and that she was always warm however cold it got. I must admit Di did not see herself dressed in brown paper and kept warm in other ways. I don't know about the impact upon family life, but I can see that working as a contraceptive as well rolleyes.gif

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di