Best torch ever owned

Reddwarf

Featured Posts

Now it's starting to get darker thought i put a shout in for the best torch i have ever owned (sadly it's not cheap). It's made by Olight the one i use is the S10R Baton II the light output is amazing (Cree LED) but this torch is tiny about the size of your thumb, rechargeable from USB. Has 3 main light output levels Medium level is plenty for walking down dark paths so the one I use 90% of the time. Without going into the full story we had the fire service on site, part of the site is totally pitch black searching for the cause of a fire alarm I used this torch on high beam and the light was far brighter then than the huge torches the fire service were using, the fire officer even wrote down the details of the torch and looking at getting a couple to try out.

Video here

I got mine from a company in China so paid about £30-£40 but see a well known online company is doing them for £50. I've had very cheap version of LED torches that just don't last and are a lot larger with less light output.

I don't work for the company but think these are the best torches around for size, light output and Quality bought mine 10 months ago and they were selling for £70+ in the UK then.

Reddwarf

Not as posh but I've been using these for a couple of years now: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sky-Wolf-Eye-2500-LM-Zoomable-Flashlight-CREE-XML-T6-LED-18650-Flashlight-Torch-/391401076812 in combination with this 230v/12v input charger. Happy as larry, I can cycle down the towpath in pitch black without worry and pretend I have a lightsaber if I am in a childish mood and puy it in sharp spotlight mode.

My vote goes for Ultrafire torches (never ever buy their batteries) with a Cree XM-L2 T6 LED. I already had suitable batteries & a charger, so I got mine for £5 each, I have 3, 2 for my pushbike & 1 for the back of the boat.
f82530c30119631c554466672a597e59-1200x12

Edited by Ssscrudddy

Yeah! but could you upscuttle a numpty over the cranial cavity like you could with a hefty mag light? Or fashion a some sort of zombie killing gun out of one?

rick-grimes-the-walking-dead-silencer.jp

Think i'll start a new thread ''What have you fetteled for your flashlight today''.

Funny you should say that, it was the exact comment I made about the lenser v maglite :)

Oooo what a good idea, Ive a large one lying around too. Hadnt even thought of doing something like that. I just use it when all else fails.

I've just had a google about, many people reckon you are better off with one of the smaller type listed above. Seems a shame though, there must be thousands of old maglites about

I've just had a google about, many people reckon you are better off with one of the smaller type listed above. Seems a shame though, there must be thousands of old maglites about

likewise I saw the same comments on the Techmoan video review,however I've a large old Maglite and will buy a bulb for it and it will be handy for intruders as it is a far better option than the newer better smaller lighter torches should it ever be needed to be weilded.....

• Greenie 1

likewise I saw the same comments on the Techmoan video review,however I've a large old Maglite and will buy a bulb for it and it will be handy for intruders as it is a far better option than the newer better smaller lighter torches should it ever be needed to be weilded.....

Please post your findings if you do get one. Have seen them on ebay for a tenner.

A traditional torch converted to LED will probably not be as good as a torch made for LED (even if they use the same led).

this is because with a traditional bulb the beam is formed by the reflector behind the bulb but with LED torches the beam is formed by a lens (or lenses) in front of the led

A traditional torch converted to LED will probably not be as good as a torch made for LED (even if they use the same led).

this is because with a traditional bulb the beam is formed by the reflector behind the bulb but with LED torches the beam is formed by a lens (or lenses) in front of the led

Interesting. Does that mean the reflector can be removed when doing the maglite upgrade? Edited by rusty69

Interesting. Does that mean the reflector can be removed when doing the maglite upgrade?

I don't know the specifics on the maglite conversions, I was just speaking in general about high powered LED's as they usually only emit light in one direction (with the rear being used for mounting / heatsink)

the most common LED that seems to be in use (the Cree XM-L2) has a normal beam angle of 125 degrees without any extra lens or reflector, given that beam angle I would suggest that any reflector in a normal torch position would be useless and you would be wanting to fit a lens in front of the led to narrow the beam by quite a bit

at that price (£53.88 inc postage) I would want it to replace the entire torch.

In all seriousness though looking at the specs on that they have designed a replacement reflector to go with the led (and it appears to also act as the LED's heatsink) but they have only managed to reduce the beam angle from 125 degrees to 110 degrees which would suggest that the reflector is only affecting 12% of the light coming from the led

Hey, I never said it was any good ;)

The one that Techmoan reviewed was just a bulb upgrate for £10.95. Seller currently away so I will order and see what it is like when they are back and will post an update on my findings accordingly for you all.

So my new bulb arrived. It was a simple switch out and the difference just onboard in semi darkness is hugely noticeable. A bright light, a wider beam pattern. Glad to have seen the post, thanks.

So my new bulb arrived. It was a simple switch out and the difference just onboard in semi darkness is hugely noticeable. A bright light, a wider beam pattern. Glad to have seen the post, thanks.

Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade then! Which one did you get in the end?

Thanks for the update!