Bridgewater Gestapo Tactics

Glynn

Featured Posts

There is a meeting on Thursday with various representatives from canal organisations such as the IWA and the FBCC which the Bridgewater Trustees will be attending.

When I hear I'll update here with any info.

According to addressesandpostcodes.co.uk The Bridgewater Canal Trust exist at:

Bridgewater Canal Trust

Unit 13

The Bridgewater Centre

Robson Avenue

Urmston

MANCHESTER

M41 7TE

Thanks for that. My suggestion, then, would be that anyone complaining to Peel complains to the BCT at the same time. They are, after all, jointly responsible for running the canal, at least according to the Bridgewater Canal website:

The Bridgewater Canal is owned and operated by The Bridgewater Canal Company Limited, part of The Peel Group, in conjunction with the Bridgewater Canal Trust.

I wonder if the status of the Bridgewater Canal Company as a statutory body might be relevant too? I mean, if they have public duties relating to navigation on the Canal, and not merely a private interest, what are those duties and what standards are they held to in discharging them?

Sorry to say but suggesting this rubbish about getting him onto the sex offenders register is a load of tosh. The boat is in a public place, your curtains are open (otherwise you'd not see him taking a pic, right?), its not a bedroom or bathroom clearly, so its a step too far to suggest he's trying to get dodgy pics - and if he does you must be some kind of exhibitionist.

By all means its not acceptable to be sticking a camera to photograph the interior of a boat but it seems like its just an intimidation tactic. Let's keep a sense of proportion here otherwise there's a danger you won't be taken seriously (cry wolf etc).

So a child in a state of undress , would you categorize the child as an exhibitionist , it has been described he acted in a way that his intent was clear , he was intent on a clear picture of the boats interior and activity/people present , suggests to me he is not only a bully and an idiot but a voyeur type person to boot , if it acts like a duck and walks like a duck etc etc

If I saw a random person pointing and firing camera through a house, motorhome or caravan window, I would be suspicious. If the person claimed to be some sort of official, I asked for the person's ID but none was forthcoming, I would be extremely suspicious. Why should boat owners accept such suspicious behaviour?

Would be the cops for me every time (unless an explanation had been given previously, along with ID.)

If I saw a random person pointing and firing camera through a house, motorhome or caravan window, I would be suspicious. If the person claimed to be some sort of official, I asked for the person's ID but none was forthcoming, I would be extremely suspicious. Why should boat owners accept such suspicious behaviour?

Would be the cops for me every time (unless an explanation had been given previously, along with ID.)

If we called the cops every time someone took a picture of our boat we would need our own personal hotline to them rolleyes.gif

All she got was a business card, which to be fair you can get printed easy and put what ever you like on it.

And as asked previously, what does this business card say?

The suggestion to get the phone out and video record any interactions with this a chap is a very good idea, making sure first to tell him the phone is recording. (Originally suggested on this board by Jenlyn as a method of dealing with pseudo-official people behaving aggressively to boaters, IIRC.)

If we called the cops every time someone took a picture of our boat we would need our own personal hotline to them rolleyes.gif

Yes our boat gets photographed daily, several times, especially since smartphones are the norm! Videos too. I usually have a laugh with the people doing so, and welcome it; long may it continue.

Not through the windows of my home though.

Yes our boat gets photographed daily, several times, especially since smartphones are the norm! Videos too. I usually have a laugh with the people doing so, and welcome it; long may it continue.

Not through the windows of my home though.

Same here, but then again we moor opposite the balcony of a very popular restaurant, our boat is on their website and Facebook page more then their food!

https://www.facebook.com/HarbourLightsLincoln/

Unfortunately as our cockpit is all windows it does mean that we inadvertently end up on a lot of those photos also much the same as we do when the boat is out and about from the home mooring.

Not really worth getting upset about.

Same here, but then again we moor opposite the balcony of a very popular restaurant, our boat is on their website and Facebook page more then their food!

https://www.facebook.com/HarbourLightsLincoln/

Unfortunately as our cockpit is all windows it does mean that we inadvertently end up on a lot of those photos also much the same as we do when the boat is out and about from the home mooring.

Not really worth getting upset about.

I agree in that instance, and can see it is inevitable that you may end up on some shots. I would however object to somebody standing directly next to the boat window, and pointing a camera in. I would ask them to state their business, and if no satisfactory explanation was given, along with no ID, then cop time.

They could of course do similar with a tele lens, but I could have no knowledge of that.

An ex colleague of mine was fired for doing similar with CCTV equipment some years ago. The police were involved, but I do not know if any legal action was taken.

"someone bent down next to our boat and was looking through our window, next thing he placed a camera against the window and took a picture through the window" from the original post.

Taking a picture of a scene including boats is perfectly reasonable (IMO) but deliberately pressing a camera to a window to take internal pictures is far from acceptable, It's far too close to taking "up skirt" pictures by carrying a camera concealed in luggage etc. Hence my "peeping tom" comments.

I agree in that instance, and can see it is inevitable that you may end up on some shots. I would however object to somebody standing directly next to the boat window, and pointing a camera in. I would ask them to state their business, and if no satisfactory explanation was given, along with no ID, then cop time.

They could of course do similar with a tele lens, but I could have no knowledge of that.

An ex colleague of mine was fired for doing similar with CCTV equipment some years ago. The police were involved, but I do not know if any legal action was taken.

How would you react to someone dangling a child by their feet through your roof hatch?

Do they get the police treatment?

I think some of you are really jumping the gun somewhat, either that or you spend a lot of time on the phone annoying the police.

"someone bent down next to our boat and was looking through our window, next thing he placed a camera against the window and took a picture through the window" from the original post.

Taking a picture of a scene including boats is perfectly reasonable (IMO) but deliberately pressing a camera to a window to take internal pictures is far from acceptable, It's far too close to taking "up skirt" pictures by carrying a camera concealed in luggage etc. Hence my "peeping tom" comments.

Agree.

How would you react to someone dangling a child by their feet through your roof hatch?

I think some of you are really jumping the gun somewhat, either that or you spend a lot of time on the phone annoying the police.

I don't have a roof hatch.

Not a very good analogy on your part though. A kid having a peep into someone's boat is hardly akin to a suspicious adult, in no official uniform, offering no ID, but laying the law down and taking close ups through boat windows. Very intimidating, especially for older folk on the canals.

Edited by Guest

IMO for the safety of the person taking the pictures someone needs to make a proper reasoned statement to the police before someone makes a statement with a baseball bat to the photographer which would resolve the situation in the worst possible way for everyone including even future users of the canal. Maybe the photographer is the individual named above, maybe they are acting on orders from the canal operators but currently neither of these is proven. ONLY the police can ask the right questions in the right way, and if necessary under caution, to resolve all the issues.

Agree.

I don't have a roof hatch.

Not a very good analogy on your part though. A kid having a peep into someone's boat is hardly akin to a suspicious adult, in no official uniform, offering no ID, but laying the law down and taking close ups through boat windows. Very intimidating, especially for older folk on the canals.

Having had a child dangled by his feet through the roof hatch by what we assume was their father, whilst a tad intrusive on dinner was hardly a matter for the police either.

Strange that you don't find someone in your boat a problem, but you find someone outside your boat taking a picture a problem!

Yes if it were done in a public place, which includes being in a boat moored on a canal with the curtains open.

Very strange man with strange opinion , your saying the cabin is a public place , well welcome aboard for anyone who feels they would like to enter your boat ? try going to your local park or swimming baths and taking pics of children or maybe you do as it is a public place , see how long before the police arrive or parents set about you .

Child cruelty if the child were to see a truly horrendous thing as he was hung upside down.

Very strange man with strange opinion , your saying the cabin is a public place , well welcome aboard for anyone who feels they would like to enter your boat ? try going to your local park or swimming baths and taking pics of children or maybe you do as it is a public place , see how long before the police arrive or parents set about you .

You're the odd one for bringing up kids - look at the first post, there's no mention of them.

I've not extended it to "welcome aboard for anyone" - that's in your mind too. Clearly it is not right to simply step onto someone's boat without permission.

And to stoop so low as to suggest I take pics of kids because I'm in a public place - what a bizarre tactic to take in a discussion on an internet forum. I think you need to wind your neck in.

Might I suggest you concentrate on the facts in hand, rather than let your mind get carried away with different scenarios or invent stuff I've said to argue against. The facts are, the canal is a public place, so the general public are free to be in the area, including taking pictures (this does not apply in swimming pools, sports centres, etc). And I've already stated that putting a camera against a boat window to take a picture of its interior is unacceptable. I don't need to add any more to that.

Sorry to say but suggesting this rubbish about getting him onto the sex offenders register is a load of tosh. The boat is in a public place, your curtains are open (otherwise you'd not see him taking a pic, right?), its not a bedroom or bathroom clearly, so its a step too far to suggest he's trying to get dodgy pics - and if he does you must be some kind of exhibitionist.

By all means its not acceptable to be sticking a camera to photograph the interior of a boat but it seems like its just an intimidation tactic. Let's keep a sense of proportion here otherwise there's a danger you won't be taken seriously (cry wolf etc).

This post suggests ANYONE on a boat that happens to be in what may be deemed as a dodgy picture MUST be an exhibitionist , so my grandchildren being dressed on board of a morning have no right to protection from a voyeur who happens to pass by taking pictures ,the cabin is not a public place.

Don't look for attention by posting crap and you wont get attention

• Greenie 1

We appear to be moving into the realms of fantasy now. In answer to the OP, if that happened to me it would be reported to the cops. End of.

Having had a child dangled by his feet through the roof hatch by what we assume was their father, whilst a tad intrusive on dinner was hardly a matter for the police either.

Strange that you don't find someone in your boat a problem, but you find someone outside your boat taking a picture a problem!

You are twisting words.

You're the odd one for bringing up kids - look at the first post, there's no mention of them.

I've not extended it to "welcome aboard for anyone" - that's in your mind too. Clearly it is not right to simply step onto someone's boat without permission.

And to stoop so low as to suggest I take pics of kids because I'm in a public place - what a bizarre tactic to take in a discussion on an internet forum. I think you need to wind your neck in.

Might I suggest you concentrate on the facts in hand, rather than let your mind get carried away with different scenarios or invent stuff I've said to argue against. The facts are, the canal is a public place, so the general public are free to be in the area, including taking pictures (this does not apply in swimming pools, sports centres, etc). And I've already stated that putting a camera against a boat window to take a picture of its interior is unacceptable. I don't need to add any more to that.

It was more pointing out that NO WAY would you dream of pointing your camera at anyone including children in a public place such as a park or baths , yet you argue that it ok because its a boat on the canal , forum rules say I must not use bad language , but politely , go away , at best your trolling

• Greenie 1

This post suggests ANYONE on a boat that happens to be in what may be deemed as a dodgy picture MUST be an exhibitionist , so my grandchildren being dressed on board of a morning have no right to protection from a voyeur who happens to pass by taking pictures ,the cabin is not a public place.

Don't look for attention by posting crap and you wont get attention

Its clear to see you're the one twisting the argument (I have no idea why......) I can't see any point in trying to debate with you when you fail to comprehend things properly.

This thread has gone off in a tangent, is that the correct word. If we meet mr Sonny or whatever when we 'do' this section I'll report back here.

If he takes a photo of my boat I'll question why? As I always do. I will also ask to see his ID.

If he wants a photo of me with nowt on then all he has to do is ask.