Separett Composting Toilet Installation

tommyleyland

Featured Posts

It is not 'that easy', if I catch you burying bags full of potentially hazardous waste in my field I shall fetch you a clip round the ear and call the police young man:)

Could you explain potential hazardous waste. This has been inside our bodies, are you saying it's fine sitting within us but hazardous on exit.

Not sure of difference between doggy and human but believe dog poo can cause all sorts of disease.

If buried or held within a garden compost long term is human waste really that harmful.

Does anyone have some positive facts about this.

Our sewage plants manage to treat everything going down our house toilets. Time to do some research.

Could you explain potential hazardous waste. This has been inside our bodies, are you saying it's fine sitting within us but hazardous on exit.

Not sure of difference between doggy and human but believe dog poo can cause all sorts of disease.

If buried or held within a garden compost long term is human waste really that harmful.

Does anyone have some positive facts about this.

Our sewage plants manage to treat everything going down our house toilets. Time to do some research.

To be clear. I think composting toilets, properly managed are an excellent thing. I remain unconvinced that they create anything more than further defecatory (sp?) complications when put in a boat context.

Human poo is not dirty and disgusting. Its non toxic organic waste. There is a potential risk from some of the bacteria that are washed out of the gut along with it, e coli for example but they do not live well outside the gut and will be killed off by composting. Major problems can occur when a particularly nasty bacteria like vibrio cholerae is present and manages to find its way into our food or water. An easy way to start a Cholera epidemic.

Fresh urine is totally sterile and is used by many cultures as an antiseptic. Handy to know if you get a particularly dirty cut and have nothing to wash it with. It does degrade once outside the body and that is when it starts to smell.

Its a great fertilizer too. I had a bumper tomato crop this year.

Personally, I would much rather have a bucket of dry organic matter in my boat than a tank full of foul sludge to which I need to add some pretty nasty chemicals.

• Greenie 1

• 2 months later...

The main Separett supplier in this country (me) not only supplies the right kit for boats, but also advises what to do and what not to do with solid waste. We also live with one (on a boat). There is no better boat toilet and a lot of boaters are using them.

Please could you provide a link to this info?

Mine goes to landfill in bin bags. Don't care what anyone says its much more environmentally friendly compared to pouring a big tank of piss and shite mixed with blue down the sewers.

What I wonder is if you can make a fuel from it for the stove

Any details of this assessment, from (eg) a water company?

As to using solid waste for fuel, you would need to dry it first as there is quite a high water content.

Of course, once you have a fully dehydrated batch you can burn it in the stove and use the heat to dry the next batch, and so on ...cool.png

Any details of this assessment, from (eg) a water company?

As to using solid waste for fuel, you would need to dry it first as there is quite a high water content.

Of course, once you have a fully dehydrated batch you can burn it in the stove and use the heat to dry the next batch, and so on ...cool.png

Sort of perpetual MOTION eh?

Phil

• Greenie 1

Human poo is not dirty and disgusting. Its non toxic organic waste. There is a potential risk from some of the bacteria that are washed out of the gut along with it, e coli for example but they do not live well outside the gut and will be killed off by composting. Major problems can occur when a particularly nasty bacteria like vibrio cholerae is present and manages to find its way into our food or water. An easy way to start a Cholera epidemic.

Fresh urine is totally sterile and is used by many cultures as an antiseptic. Handy to know if you get a particularly dirty cut and have nothing to wash it with. It does degrade once outside the body and that is when it starts to smell.

Its a great fertilizer too. I had a bumper tomato crop this year.

Personally, I would much rather have a bucket of dry organic matter in my boat than a tank full of foul sludge to which I need to add some pretty nasty chemicals.

I'm sorry, but you are ignoring a couple of hundred years' experience of Public Health medicine. Improved sanitation, i.e. keeping human waste out of the food chain, is one of the principal reasons for longevity in people living in the developed world. Here's a quote from a scholarly website about E. coli contamination:

"What makes E. coli O157:H7 remarkably dangerous is its very low infectious dose, and how relatively difficult it is to kill these bacteria."

I do not believe that a few weeks at fairly low temperatures will sterilise a 50:50 mix of faeces and vegetable fibre and to do anything other than dispose of it as sewage is irresponsible, even, as has already been said here, criminally irresponsible.

I'm sorry, but you are ignoring a couple of hundred years' experience of Public Health medicine. Improved sanitation, i.e. keeping human waste out of the food chain, is one of the principal reasons for longevity in people living in the developed world. Here's a quote from a scholarly website about E. coli contamination:

"What makes E. coli O157:H7 remarkably dangerous is its very low infectious dose, and how relatively difficult it is to kill these bacteria."

I do not believe that a few weeks at fairly low temperatures will sterilise a 50:50 mix of faeces and vegetable fibre and to do anything other than dispose of it as sewage is irresponsible, even, as has already been said here, criminally irresponsible.

I agree with your post but did you reply to the right posting with it