Rochdale Nine

epic

Featured Posts

Can anyone help, we are trying to get though the Rochdale nine on Fri morning 16th September we feel we would need help, if anyone

can please contact me. I have asked the CRT and they said they would see if they could fine volunteers

Can anyone help, we are trying to get though the Rochdale nine on Fri morning 16th September we feel we would need help, if anyone

can please contact me. I have asked the CRT and they said they would see if they could fine volunteers

I think you will find that the Rochdale 9 aren't CRT waters.

Also I doubt if anyone will come forward if they are to receive a fine. laugh.png

Also I doubt if anyone will come forward if they are to receive a fine. laugh.png

Are you sure? I am fairly certain that the Rochdale 9 is C &RT waters. When we had a problem at one of the locks a couple of years ago we called C&Rt and they didn't say "it is not ours" but offered to come out when the job they were doing was complete. In fact we , with the help of passers, by solved the problem and told C&RT they could stand down.

haggis

The Rochdale Canal is a CRT Waterway. The canal was taken over by The Waterways Trust in 1997, TWT was incorportated as part of CRT in 2013.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

There is a system of volunteer help between Locks 65 and 80, as I made use of it last year as an ageing singlehander (only to find that the volunteer at 73 was 3 years older than I was!), but I haven't heard of any help being available for the Nine. I found them unpleasant in parts, but not particularly difficult.

As one of the volunteers on the Manchester 18, I have to say that we do occasionally receive requests to venture into Manchester to help a boats through the nine, If we are already planning to be down that neck of the woods then we normally gladly help, but for me its either a 65min bus journey in and the same back home or a £18 car journey plus another 7 quid to park (standard IR expense rates) to come and help for an hours volunteering. Given the number of other boats who also travel the 9 I feel its not really a good use of my volunteer time, given that one can normally pair up with someone, with a bit of towpath chat.
Having said that I have heard that there is a new recruit who is coming on board soon and lives in the city, so maybe in the future there will be someone handy to come and help.

I have always like working the 9 (well most of it these days - hate lock 85 since the corporation insisted on opening up the towpath there as a through route, but totally fail to police it) C&RT only own(lease) upto the edge of the coping stones, the towpath is owned by the city of Manchester so it is the responsibility of the corporation, all the way up to Newton Heath boundary.
Oh and the other problem is that I'm taking a boat the other way up the Manchester 18 so I can't be in two places.

--

cheers Ian Mac