Hull colour...

Featured Posts

So now that 2 part epoxy paint is becoming more popular than good old fashioned bitumen, colour becomes a variable in the decision making process.

Has anyone seen anything other than black on a narrowboat hull? How did it look? I am contemplating a dark blue but I am sure someone somewhere must have gone all out on something a bit crazy.

While all hulls are the same colour, scrapes of one upon another won't show. That seems to be a good argument for uniformity.

You might have epoxy, but that won't stop someone else's bitumen rubbing off on you and creating all sorts of new opportunities for people getting upset.

Saw a boat in the last few weeks that had blue up and around the waterline then black up to the gunnels. Not bitumen, so I think it must have been two pack. Unless there is another alternative that I haven't heard about.

As has been said...you make it look all nice and then within and short time...you or someone else has scraped it.

As such...I would just buy tins of cheap household gloss for the upper hull...as it was cost effective for touching up again.

Edited by Bobbybass

I painted above the waterline in black gloss to keep it nice and black (and shiny!) Not a good idea, it was very vulnerable to scrapes, it looked as though I had bounced off every scrapy thing for miles, covered it in cheap bitumen and it now looks as though I am a careful and skilled steerer.

• Greenie 1

Oh dear! What is the problem with fenders whilst moving? I am new to this!

They fall off. At best, you lose fenders. At worst, they get around other peoples props

Other opinions are available: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=86655&hl=

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Hmmm, I have some of these.

XawN6vK.jpg

They have been great for me providing protection and they have been narrow enough that I haven't needed to lift them at all although I haven't done any single width locks.

They will be very useful when you are tied up against piling (especially concrete) or other boats, particularly when it is windy.

Save them for that and you will never need to buy any more.