Calor bottle amnesty, this month only.

DHutch

Featured Posts

Big ones can be exchanged for littler ones (mostly).

Only if you can find a dealer that will exchange outside of Calor's cylinder exchange policy, whcih in my experience are not numerous.

Normally you can only exchange within 'groups' of cylinders which tend to be of the same/similar size/weight.

Scroll down on here.

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/buying-gas-bottles/gas-refills-exchanges-returns

Calor are advertising a bottle amnesty this month only;

https://www.calor.co.uk/unwanted-calor-bottle-return

£7.50 if no paperwork.

Daniel

Given you can get a lot more than £7.50 for an empty cylinder on eBay or through local classified ads. and Facebook selling groups I wonder how big the uptake will be?

I suspect not huge.

(And yes before anybody starts we know you are not supposed to sell them to anyone)

The exchange groupings have changed since I last needed to do one. I wonder how often they do that?

They have been like that for a while certainly since we got the caravan in July last year and probably a lot longer.

I have however known dealers being willing to change outwith the groupings, but I guess they aren't supposed to.

(And yes before anybody starts we know you are not supposed to sell them to anyone)

Does that mean when I sell cylinders with a boat I am supposed to take them off the boat and do something else with them?

Edited by Geo

Apparently you are not allowed to cut them up either

I think the answer just may be

:rolleyes:

(Pretty sure the no-cutting rule is to remove any liability for when someone decides to cut open a "empty" gas bottle with an angle grinder :huh:

Does that mean when I sell cylinders with a boat I am supposed to take them off the boat and do something else with them?

Strictly speaking yes, but few people are bothered as there are generally no negative consequences.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Apparently you are not allowed to cut them up either

I think the answer just may be

:rolleyes:

(Pretty sure the no-cutting rule is to remove any liability for when someone decides to cut open a "empty" gas bottle with an angle grinder :huh:

And they make potent bomb casings.

Or a can of beer may be more similar as it is stored under pressure.

I think some of the older beer bottles did actually have "property of" on them but there was usually a payment for returning the bottle AFAIK it was before my time.

Or a can of beer may be more similar as it is stored under pressure.

I think some of the older beer bottles did actually have "property of" on them but there was usually a payment for returning the bottle AFAIK it was before my time.

The point being you bought the beer not the bottle. Calor describe obtaining a cylinder as buying it not as buying the gas.

If you wish to adhere to the terms of your agreement with Calor then - yes. You should return them to a Calor dealer along with a copy of your agreement and they will give you a refund based on the following sliding scale.

g7ov39uh.png

I don't know of one single individual (boater or caravnnner) who has ever done this. Not least because it creates extra hassle (and expense) for the boat/caravan buyer as they would have to start afresh with a new cylinder agreement. Or two.

We had to start afresh with a new cylinder last year and it cost us a whopping £39.99 over and above the cost of the gas.

Ding!!! ding!!!

Round 2.

smile.png

God I hope not!!

The point being you bought the beer not the bottle. Calor describe obtaining a cylinder as buying it not as buying the gas.

Being pedantic I think you'll find that the term used when purchasing beer in a sealed glass container would be "a bottle of beer" in the same way that purchasing gas in a sealed container would be a "bottle of gas".

There are alternatives like a glass of beer or a refillable gas bottle.

I'm not sure that calor actually mention whether you are buying the bottle and/or the gas contained in it. I suspect they may have some sort of small print which mentions that you are only buying the right to use the contents and not the metal container. Its printed on the container iirc as well.

Being pedantic I think you'll find that the term used when purchasing beer in a sealed glass container would be "a bottle of beer" in the same way that purchasing gas in a sealed container would be a "bottle of gas".

There are alternatives like a glass of beer or a refillable gas bottle.

I'm not sure that calor actually mention whether you are buying the bottle and/or the gas contained in it. I suspect they may have some sort of small print which mentions that you are only buying the right to use the contents and not the metal container. Its printed on the container iirc as well.

The point I was making following the link MJG put in #5 it says:

When you buy a gas cylinder from us, you’ll be asked to pay for and agree to the Calor Cylinder Refill Agreement which legally states that the cylinder always remains the property of Calor Gas.

No mention of gas and there is a price over and above the cost of the gas (when first buying). So as I read it Calor thinks they can sell you a container and still own it.

OK :)

I didn't read that bit.

It seems to be an extension of the old system where you would be paid to return the beer bottle but they have worked out that people don't bring them back so its best to charge them up front and hope that the financial penalty will encourage them to bring the containers back :)

Slightly off theme but my 2003 Pinder cruiser stern has the gas locker on the rear deck. Swapping cylinders a few months ago, I found I couldn't get the new cylinder in under the fixed part of the top. I hadn't noted that some 13kg cylinders now have a higher handle/valve protector. Fortunately there was also an older/lower cylinder in stock so I was able to swap. Just hope the two designs will continue in parallel otherwise I'll have to take a large hammer to the locker and make an 'adjustment'!