Ashby Canal 1971

Richard T

Featured Posts

Thanks v much. Those photos are the best I've ever seen of Bert Dunkley's 'Prince'.

The fact that they've just moored in the bridge hole (at Bosworth Wharf Bridge) reminds us how few boats used the Ashby in 1971, and that the edges of the canal in most other places were probably too shallow for Prince to get close to the side.

Different boat! Bert Dunkley's Prince with the cabin gap was a wooden Barlow's motor long since broken up. Malcolm Webster's Prince is an iron ex-josher steamer. There is also another Prince still around - the ex-GUCCC Royalty motor.

Paul

Different boat! Bert Dunkley's Prince with the cabin gap was a wooden Barlow's motor long since broken up. Malcolm Webster's Prince is an iron ex-josher steamer. There is also another Prince still around - the ex-GUCCC Royalty motor.

Paul

That Prince was one of the first boats (converted) that was used as a hotel boat, after the then owners retirement it was moored & lived on by himself & wife, at the (stables?) on the off side at the bottom of the Audlem flight. The Bert Dunkley boat used to tow Joe Skinners " Friendship' to the IWA rallys in the 1960's

Edited by X Alan W

Remember Bert towing Joe to a rally think Stoke and not being able to get the Friendship under Barton Turn bridge as the cratch was to tall and the bridge had a beam under it for strengthening, we had low cratches on the camping boats so we could get under it. Bert and Joe went in the pub by the lock,the vine I think, and got some of the locals on the fore end enough to get into the lock. The tale was repeated whenever we saw them.

David

Remember Bert towing Joe to a rally think Stoke and not being able to get the Friendship under Barton Turn bridge as the cratch was to tall and the bridge had a beam under it for strengthening, we had low cratches on the camping boats so we could get under it. Bert and Joe went in the pub by the lock,the vine I think, and got some of the locals on the fore end enough to get into the lock. The tale was repeated whenever we saw them.

David

Rose was always good at keeping the stories going, on a trip to another rally could have been Marple they tied by the pub above Penkridge lock & retired to test the fayre on offer. Joe related some time after that on returning to the boats in his words " They all tumbled down due to the condition of the tow path" when it was pointed out that it could have been the strength or quantity of the product sold at said pub this was met with strong denials, & I was later told the story at least 4 times by Rose although I was there at the time.

Paul

To add more potential confusion the large Woolwich motor BATH was renamed as PRINCE between late 1955 and early 1958, at which time it was being operated by A. Dickson's Coronet Canal Carrying Company - and paired with the butty PRINCESS (small Woolwich CETUS).

Fortunately BATH returned to its original name in 1979 captain.gif

To add more potential confusion the large Woolwich motor BATH was renamed as PRINCE between late 1955 and early 1958, at which time it was being operated by A. Dickson's Coronet Canal Carrying Company - and paired with the butty PRINCESS (small Woolwich CETUS).

Fortunately BATH returned to its original name in 1979 captain.gif

Wasn't BATH also ADMIRAL BENBOW for a while?

Wasn't BATH also ADMIRAL BENBOW for a while?

No, but it was BENBOW between early 1958 and 1979 - under four different owners.

The 'admiral class' butty BENBOW was renamed as ADMIRAL BENBOW when converted to a house boat in the 1960's, but again this has now reverted to its original name captain.gif

edit = but I am happy to be corrected about BATH following the input of 'archie57' in post 13.

Edited by pete harrison

• 6 years later...

My first canal holiday was on Benbow in 1968, starting at Tardebigge. We were a crew of six (led by Dave Struckett) and we completed the Stourbridge Ring in a week, starting with the Tardebigge flight. Benbow had a deep draught (compared to modern hire boats) and we often went aground. It was an amazing week which kindled my love of the canals. 

• Greenie 3