Stern Type - The Good, Bad and The Ugly

WrightCharlie

Featured Posts

Notice you have a small dog so you should be ok, when we were looking there's no way our dog would jump onto a trad, it appeared he didn't feel there's enough room to 'land'. I've had this confirmed by a broker who says that larger dogs are nervous of the smaller area. Guess this depends on the dog.

We like the semi trad because I think it's safer for our boy. But then, we're still novices.

I'll go along with those who say the boat will choose you!

I would consider the type of boating you think you will be doing, if all weathers then a trad stern where you can stand inside the cabin doors and have the slide pulled in to keep out of the elements is a benefit. If boating in wind, rain and cold isn't something you think you will be doing then personally I would go with a semi trad, this would also give you an outside space to sit or to leave your dog outside with out them being able to get off the boat. I don't like cruiser sterns, have hired a couple in the past and whilst I get the sitting out on the deck I didn't like the openness to the elements.

Trad stern for us. Cosy in bad weather, whence we feel faux sympathy for the folk cold, wet and miserable on their cruiser sterns. Only room for 2 which keeps the visitors at the other end of the boat - bonus! Yes we do have a modern engine at the back but being Japanese it doesn't smell but does provide a useful warm and dry storage area. Access might not be brilliant but again being Japanese, it doesnt go wrong.

In the cold of winter with the hatch pulled part closed and the back doors closed, who knows what im wearing on my lower half! - but probably not much since it will be cozy warm.

If you are sociable summer-only boaters then I can see the point of cruiser sterns. Or if you can't make up your mind and like compromise, a semi-trad - a bit like rosé wine!

Edited by nicknorman

I had cruiser stern on last boat. Loved the seating but hated the design of the backend it was a big giant box. It also seemed high in the water so we'd rock all the time. Anyway now have trad with deep draft and prefer the curved back end with a proper engine room.

Also hated my cruiser stern because the engine hole would always end up getting nasty so can't keep your engine nice... it needs a proper home. But I did like the easy access to the weed hatch.

On the trad have to squeeze down a small space laying down, not so fun really. But worth the change.

Go for a trad. I've seen some people bolt seat poles at the back so seating can be possible...

Edited by Catnip King

We have a compromise - when we bought our boat it was a semi-trad but had been built as a trad and subsequently altered. We liked the space of a semi-trad -safre for children but liked the weather protection of a trad. So we had it modified to have a large slide we can have3 standing out of the tiller swing - the boat yard re-installed the back doors which they had kept. The downside is that the engine is a bastard to work on especially for me as I'm just over 6ft tall!! There are the odd boats around that have been built like this, some go a stage further and have a second smaller slide as part of the big one for really bad waether.

The size of our slide can be seen in this picture

post-3364-0-37254100-1473277893_thumb.jpg

Go for a cruise stern, loads of room to relax outside when you are not cruising, easy to get to the engine, and all the other mechanical things that should be checked regularly, but be prepared for the snobby trad sterners to look down there noses at you

You see, you wanted advice and the truth is it's what you want that will win in the end.

Look at lots of boats. After two years of looking our boat found us, and it matters not a jot what you want, when you see the boat, you'll buy it.

I hope you and the dog will be half as happy as we've been for 11years so far. It's a terrific journey mate.

Rog

As a dog owner the cruiser works well for us especially as your new dog won't have grown up on board. With cruiser we found it easy to block off the openings and also easier for the mut to get in and out of the cabin. That's our doggy perspective.

Ps did you used to play fr the Mariners?

It depends upon the engine an who the operator was. 17 years on after 8 years in two fleets the engine is fine but then it is a proper marine engine rather than a modified industrial unit.

Look back at the threads on here that regularly come up about buying ex-hire.

Will do Tony, thank you.

I'd always thought I wanted a cruiser stern as this was the type we had when cruising on holiday boats with 4 people. Once I started looking for boats, I thought semi trad was the way forward. Then I realised some trads have a decent amount of standing/sitting/leaning space inside the hatch area so started looking at these as an option. Basically when it came down to it, it wasn't going to be a deciding factor in the end if I liked the rest of the boat. I ended up with a lovely trad stern, which has a generous hatch space with room for a tall stool on the engine boards, standing room for another person plus helmsman. I'm happy with rhe space it gives for cruising and also the extra indoor space I get over a semi or cruiser.

Notice you have a small dog so you should be ok, when we were looking there's no way our dog would jump onto a trad, it appeared he didn't feel there's enough room to 'land'. I've had this confirmed by a broker who says that larger dogs are nervous of the smaller area. Guess this depends on the dog.

We like the semi trad because I think it's safer for our boy. But then, we're still novices.

I'll go along with those who say the boat will choose you!

That's a good tip, thanks Jennifer. Actually, I don't have a dog yet but will look for a small one from Battersea or somewhere similar once I come over next year. Who knows, dogs may be like boats, where they choose you, ha ha, in which case I may go looking for a small one and bring home a large one instead smile.png

I'd always thought I wanted a cruiser stern as this was the type we had when cruising on holiday boats with 4 people. Once I started looking for boats, I thought semi trad was the way forward. Then I realised some trads have a decent amount of standing/sitting/leaning space inside the hatch area so started looking at these as an option. Basically when it came down to it, it wasn't going to be a deciding factor in the end if I liked the rest of the boat. I ended up with a lovely trad stern, which has a generous hatch space with room for a tall stool on the engine boards, standing room for another person plus helmsman. I'm happy with rhe space it gives for cruising and also the extra indoor space I get over a semi or cruiser.

Thanks for sharing your story Maximus.

As another non boat owner with a very large GSD, I am always drawn to the cruiser sterns. My ideal boat will be a 57 x 10 widebeam with a cruiser stern. I will always want my big boy keeping me company while I man the tiller. He's always at my side and I wouldn't want it any other way. He'd even share my bed if I let him, but he snores and hogs all the room.

I'm not in the position to make the move onto the water yet, but I'm researching and dreaming.

I would consider the type of boating you think you will be doing, if all weathers then a trad stern where you can stand inside the cabin doors and have the slide pulled in to keep out of the elements is a benefit. If boating in wind, rain and cold isn't something you think you will be doing then personally I would go with a semi trad, this would also give you an outside space to sit or to leave your dog outside with out them being able to get off the boat. I don't like cruiser sterns, have hired a couple in the past and whilst I get the sitting out on the deck I didn't like the openness to the elements.

Thanks Rob, this protection from the weather thing seems a pretty common theme.

As another non boat owner with a very large GSD, I am always drawn to the cruiser sterns. My ideal boat will be a 57 x 10 widebeam with a cruiser stern. I will always want my big boy keeping me company while I man the tiller. He's always at my side and I wouldn't want it any other way. He'd even share my bed if I let him, but he snores and hogs all the room.

I'm not in the position to make the move onto the water yet, but I'm researching and dreaming.

Thanks Allan, I'm similar to you in the respect that my dogs have always been in close proximity which is partly why I started the thread, I want to hear people's stories of sharing tiller time with their dogs.

Trad stern for us. Cosy in bad weather, whence we feel faux sympathy for the folk cold, wet and miserable on their cruiser sterns. Only room for 2 which keeps the visitors at the other end of the boat - bonus! Yes we do have a modern engine at the back but being Japanese it doesn't smell but does provide a useful warm and dry storage area. Access might not be brilliant but again being Japanese, it doesnt go wrong.

In the cold of winter with the hatch pulled part closed and the back doors closed, who knows what im wearing on my lower half! - but probably not much since it will be cozy warm.

If you are sociable summer-only boaters then I can see the point of cruiser sterns. Or if you can't make up your mind and like compromise, a semi-trad - a bit like rosé wine!

Thanks Nick, particularly appreciate the (new to me) benefits of a Japanese engine........not sure I needed the picture of winter trad boaters only wearing thongs though smile.png

Charlie, I've shown these recently on the forum but as you are new here I will reproduce them again.

A mish mash of semi and trad:

attachicon.gif14278831150.jpg

Extra wide and long

attachicon.gif16092012045.jpg

Two in one

Thanks Ray, really interesting. I've browsed a lot of broker sites over the last months and visited some when I came over in May for Crick and didn't know these hybrids existed. Are they pretty much one-offs?

Firstly - Welcome to the forum (Yipeeeeeee another Canadian wop wop wop)clapping.gif

When we were looking at boats to buy we had a criteria list as long as your arm...no older than xxx, must have this type loo, must have 2 bedrooms, this size water tank, that size waste tank, bow thruster, price range, space for a freezer & washing machine, these two types of heating, these two types of heating hot H20 etc etc

The one thing neither of us had a preference for was the stern type; with that said, neither of us had any experience of flat bottomed boats and or the pro's & con's of the effects of each style.

We ended up with a Trad, which we are happy with; although we only learned after moving onboard we were not able to have a pram cover installed, I'm not sure if that's the case with all Trad sterns or only applies to us as ours is a WB.

The other benefit for you having a semi would be a good place to keep you dog so it can be outside with you, or at least till it gets used to the boating life style.

Good luck with your searchcheers.gif

ETA - missing word

Thank you Bettie, I've begun to mull a list such as you describe, although from what I've seen, about the only way to fully meet my list would be to spec a new boat and unless a lottery ticket comes up soon..........smile.png

I'm curious, if your ticket came up would you go for a trad again?

I'm proud to be an "adopted" Canadian, really coming back to the UK will mean coming home for me!

I think a lot of it depends on your personal preferences. We've always had a trad stern, in part for keeping a bit warmer/drier in winter.

Originally there was no access from the main part of the boat to the stern other than down the side deck. This is because we like steering on our own, and not being expected to talk to people at the same time: if you want that then go to the social space at the bows. (As the helpful Rugby site says: "You only have a small stern area which limits the number of people that can congregate together when cruising" to which I say "Good, that's an advantage!"). Your personal preferences may be different.

We did change this slightly when we bought a new stern in 1994, to provide access from inside the boat.

Access to the engine is now excellent, as (with a bit of work) all of the flooring, and all the supporting steelwork, can be removed. This picture gives the general idea (yes that is the weedhatch to the right).

dscf4817.jpg

Another trad jockey, this is becoming a one horse race smile.png

Cabin top on a trad is fine for dogs.

pic055.jpg

Thank you David. Always good to see boats with dogs, or is it the other way round smile.png

Perfectly true. I wanted a trad and bought one with a cruiser stern.

The boat picks the boater.

T.

Thanks T.

I had cruiser stern on last boat. Loved the seating but hated the design of the backend it was a big giant box. It also seemed high in the water so we'd rock all the time. Anyway now have trad with deep draft and prefer the curved back end with a proper engine room.

Also hated my cruiser stern because the engine hole would always end up getting nasty so can't keep your engine nice... it needs a proper home. But I did like the easy access to the weed hatch.

On the trad have to squeeze down a small space laying down, not so fun really. But worth the change.

Go for a trad. I've seen some people bolt seat poles at the back so seating can be possible...

Thanks Catnip.

Go for a cruise stern, loads of room to relax outside when you are not cruising, easy to get to the engine, and all the other mechanical things that should be checked regularly, but be prepared for the snobby trad sterners to look down there noses at you

Thank you Johnnie.

Hi and welcome.

This was one of my first threads on the forum back in 2008 - despite my determination for a cruiser stern a trad boat found us. We lived aboard and continuously cruised for 7 years, only giving it up this year and, much as I hate admitting it, hubby was right. We have a small dog that walked the roof while cruising and the number of days we had guests aboard was tiny compared to the time it was just the two of us. Plus, when we were cruising in inclement weather Dave would stand inside the closed doors with his lower body dry and warm and a big brolly protected the top half of his body.

I'm sure you're sussing out that there are no rights or wrongs, just what works for you and often what's present in the boat you fall for.

Good luck - it's an exciting and scary journey :)

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=16085&hl=stern

We have a compromise - when we bought our boat it was a semi-trad but had been built as a trad and subsequently altered. We liked the space of a semi-trad -safre for children but liked the weather protection of a trad. So we had it modified to have a large slide we can have3 standing out of the tiller swing - the boat yard re-installed the back doors which they had kept. The downside is that the engine is a bastard to work on especially for me as I'm just over 6ft tall!! There are the odd boats around that have been built like this, some go a stage further and have a second smaller slide as part of the big one for really bad waether.

The size of our slide can be seen in this picture

attachicon.gifIMG_4607.JPG

Many thanks Richard, I guess that clears up my thought that boats like yours can only be done from new. Jeepers, so much to learn and consider!

Love our trad stern but sometimes wish we had a cruiser stern to make life easier and more sociable on the move (but not in the rain). However a socking great tug deck would also be nice smile.png

Oh Tesla, now you go and introduce tug decks........I was already finding this difficult! smile.png

Thank you Bettie, I've begun to mull a list such as you describe, although from what I've seen, about the only way to fully meet my list would be to spec a new boat and unless a lottery ticket comes up soon..........smile.png

I'm curious, if your ticket came up would you go for a trad again?

I'm proud to be an "adopted" Canadian, really coming back to the UK will mean coming home for me!

Another trad jockey, this is becoming a one horse race smile.png

Ahh good question...G

I "think" we probably would go for a Trad Stern again, however internally I would want a reverse layout. With the galley / Saloon closest to the stern, bathrooms & bedrooms towards the front.

With the Trad Stern it means we have a small room just inside the main back doors, one side is my laundry / gardening "room" & the other side is for Dave's tools and bike trolley storage, it also means if he wants to do something with the engine and it's poor weather he can shut the sliding hatch, remove the back stairs and work in a dry environment; mind you it's a fairly small space and I would imagine quite uncomfortable if you were on the portly side; luckily he's one of those that close to 60 hasn't suffered with middle age spread wacko.png

The thing that I really would like to have is a pram cover for the stern so I could set up a clothes horse to dry clothes in the winter months; my large wirly gig that attaches to the bike rack is great for spring/summer & fall, but not so great in the winter months waiting for a sunny dry day can be a long wait over here as I sure you well know.

Here's a pic of our back end with the bike rack, and you can just see the washer behind Dave

post-20365-0-12180100-1473294394_thumb.jpg

You see, you wanted advice and the truth is it's what you want that will win in the end.

Look at lots of boats. After two years of looking our boat found us, and it matters not a jot what you want, when you see the boat, you'll buy it.

I hope you and the dog will be half as happy as we've been for 11years so far. It's a terrific journey mate.

Rog

Cheers Rog! I can't wait to be honest but circumstances mean that I can't come over full-time until next year.

As a dog owner the cruiser works well for us especially as your new dog won't have grown up on board. With cruiser we found it easy to block off the openings and also easier for the mut to get in and out of the cabin. That's our doggy perspective.

Ps did you used to play fr the Mariners?

Thanks RQ, the doggie perspective is important to me too.

Had a couple of cruiser stern boats,one after the other, Very few modern trad stern boats available at the time .Hated the cruiser stern. Now got a trad stern type.Happy now.

Thanks Nebulae.

Beginning to think I stumbled into a trad stern forum, ha ha.

Wanted a cruiser, bought a cruiser.... Now want a semi trad.

Can't see me ever wanting a trad though.

Blimey Dave, cruisers and semi-trads, you're out on a limb there mate smile.png