Ebay seller asking for higher than bid price

SUIGENERIS

Featured Posts

Hi all.

Have a situation that has never arisen for me before so asking advice.

I bid for a Badouin DK3 marine engine which is according to the seller in a boat yard in Rugby . My bid was the highest at the auction end and was of course above the starting price set by the seller.

I have now had an email from him saying he has been bid more privately and will only sell to me if I match that price.

There was no mention in the listing that it was advertised elsewhere.

Am I being unreasonable to expect my successful bid to be honoured?

What action do you think is necessary.

Cheers. Mick

I had similar :

Having 'won' the auction, I paid immediately and asked for the sellers address so I could go and pick it up - the seller refused saying that it did not reach the amount he was happy with.

End of story - spoke to ebay (despite - apparently it being a legal contract), they could do nothing and just cancelled the sellers ID / account. Got my money back from Paypal, but I wanted what I had 'won'.

I too think you cannot force someone to sell to you if they have changed their mind.

I'd imagine you have a theoretic remedy in law. Buy another identical Badouin and sue him for any extra money you had to pay. Fat lot of good the law is though when the item is rare or unique.

I would raise a dispute with eBay. I have found them very helpful. Won't cost you a penny. Seller could have set a reserve price. If he has a lot of sales on eBay he would not want to lose his seller's reputation.

The higher the reserve, the higher the ebay fee as I understand it. So by not setting a reserve the seller had probably already planned ahead and decided he would renege on the sale if the price was too low. Therefore he is unlikely to have used a 'valued' selling ID.

The higher the reserve, the higher the ebay fee as I understand it. So by not setting a reserve the seller had probably already planned ahead and decided he would renege on the sale if the price was too low. Therefore he is unlikely to have used a 'valued' selling ID.

As far as I know there is a 'listing fee' (which nowadays is often free - up to 20 items per month), and, then a 'final value fee' which is based on a % (normally 10%) of the achieved sale price.

I cannot recall ever having to pay extra for using a reserve, but I admit there are all sorts of 'extras costs' that can be add - more photos, delayed start time, etc. So may not have noticed if one was 'slipped in'.

If it doesn't sell then you only pay the listing fee.

I found the item on eBay. The seller has not used eBay before (or not with that ID). I think this could have suggested caution. I once bought a Dyson fan at a good price but the seller disappeared and I never got the fan. That seller had little or no feedback/reputation. I got a full refund from eBay; I hope they find the bugger and sue for fraud. I'm now more wary.

Edited by mross

I've bought and sold some boats/boaty things on ebay and afaik MtB is correct re the charge for a reserve price (but starting bid can be whatever you want). Different categories have different fees / processes though which complicates matters. The seller in this instance is completely out of order. Putting it in an auction and letting that go through to its end constitutes a legal contract as such. If his unreasonable demands (ie: extra money) prevent you from completing the purchase you need to let ebay know. Sadly with a seller like that it's probs best to walk away and chalk it to experience.

Edited by BilgePump

I found the item on eBay. The seller has not used eBay before (or not with that ID). I think this could have suggested caution. I once bought a Dyson fan at a good price but the seller disappeared and I never got the fan. That seller had little or no feedback/reputation. I got a full refund from eBay; I hope they find the bugger and sue for fraud. I'm now more wary.

The first thing I look at is the sellers reputation.

Phil

in a similar situation I set the starting price at a value I'm prepared to accept.

the message is that I am a serious seller and I only want to attract serious buyers.

my feedback rating for the last 12 months is 100%, with more than 300 feedback comments, of which about 20 are for selling.

the moral is - check the feedback and be suspicious if it is not at least 99%.

some sellers state that the item is offered for sale elsewhere, which is a reasonable position and allows the seller to withdraw if necessary, even if he is stretching the truth, as would be the case in this instance.

Ebay well knows all the scams and tricks to avoid paying eg reserve fees. Give them a chance to change their mind, if they don't then report it to ebay and leave it up to them to sort out. It might be an established seller eho has registered a second account to do this etc.

Edited by Paul C

Murflynn, on 03 Sept 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

in a similar situation I set the starting price at a value I'm prepared to accept.

the message is that I am a serious seller and I only want to attract serious buyers.

my feedback rating for the last 12 months is 100%, with more than 300 feedback comments, of which about 20 are for selling.

, which is some sellers state that the item is offered for sale elsewherea reasonable position and allows the seller to withdraw if necessary, even if he is stretching the truth, as would be the case in this instance.

But that only applies if they withdraw the listing before the sale ends - not after.

There used to be a time limit - ? the day before, but that was some time ago.

I had one pulled recently 10 seconds before the sale ended......

Thanks Fellas. Commiserations accepted!

I did have contact with him via ebay before bidding and his response was reasonable and his feedback, whilst only 9, did give him a good reputation over the last 10 years!

I am guessing that someone might well recognise the Ken who listed the engine and will be wary of any dealings with him in the future.

Who knows, he may yet change his mind and complete the transaction !!

Glad too to know it's not only me who gets disappointed!

Cheers. Mick

But that only applies if they withdraw the listing before the sale ends - not after.

There used to be a time limit - ? the day before, but that was some time ago.

I had one pulled recently 10 seconds before the sale ended......

that's what I meant by 'stretching the truth'.

And how does that help, when you've just found on ebay the only highly desirable vintage Badouin engine to hit the market in the last 10 years, and you're desperate to buy it?

I suppose the OP could play the seller at his own game by enthusiastically outbidding the other buyer off-ebay as suggested by the seller, then arranging to go and collect the engine in a week or ten day's time, then failing to turn up to collect it...

Rather like MtBs suggestion but wouldn't stoop quite that low!

Well I hope the engine goes to someone nice !

It has apparently been standing around for several years and I only bid for it because I just love engines to be up and running ! Especially a £ cylinder with a 5" bore and 8" stroke !

My ex customs patrol boat has a cummins 470 and I had the idea that a slow revving baudouin would be far more suitable if I am going to use it on the inland rivers in a year or twos time. I must be mad !---- all that work just for fun!--- and to lose the sound of the big V 8!

Will have to content myself with the soothing beat of my Ruston and Hornsby 2 VTH in our canal boat, and use up all that spare time on some of my other projects!

Thanks all for your comments.

Mick

Thanks Fellas. Commiserations accepted!

I did have contact with him via ebay before bidding and his response was reasonable and his feedback, whilst only 9, did give him a good reputation over the last 10 years!

I am guessing that someone might well recognise the Ken who listed the engine and will be wary of any dealings with him in the future.

Who knows, he may yet change his mind and complete the transaction !!

Glad too to know it's not only me who gets disappointed!

Cheers. Mick

Yes, I recognise the engine in question and the chap to whom it belongs but would have to say I've found him a reasonable fellow who I wouldn't label as being unscrupulous.

Perhaps it may be worth a polite push to see if he's open to any negotiation on price, obviously I understand this isn't what one expects from any eBay sale however it may produce an outcome you're both happy(ish) with?

Thanks to Paddles Up for his reassurance about the seller.

I have emailed the seller asking him to reconsider but he has so far ignored my request.

So I have to assume he has accepted the higher offer and the engine has a new owner, who I hope will enjoy it!

Subject probably closed.

Cheers All.

Mick

In a honest way if you want the item screw him over!

Tell him fine you will pay the higher price but only threw ebay tell him to relist it at a buy it now price you agree then buy it he now has to pay the higher ebay fees if you want to do him over some more pay threw paypal as they will charge him for him to take the money out of paypal and into his account.

I do this alot if the seller wont sell.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Following my email to the seller asking him to re-consider ,he kindly agreed to proceed with the sale.

He organised with the yard for the engine to be available and lifted for me, and I am very pleased with my purchase.

I was pleased to have Paddles Up input regarding the seller, and it has proven thoroughly correct.

Many thanks to all for their input,

Cheers. Mick

• Greenie 3