Yay! Got me boat!

Tomska

Featured Posts

Looks a nice boat with a stunning mooring was it possible to keep that mooring and how much is it.

Judging from the architecture, I think the commute would be a bit prohibitive.

Fantastic looking boat though! Well done :lol: . More details please?

Edited by carlt

Thanks all. The mooring is in Vlaardingen and I didn't take it on, although we definitely plan to cruise Holland, Belgium, France & Germany at some point in the future.

Fantastic looking boat though! Well done . More details please?

Sure. She's a 54 foot Langedijker - one of only two in existence, so I'm told. Unusual because of her size and the distinctive flat bow, a bit like a punt. You can see that better here:

surveypicturesv6.jpg

She was built in 1913 in Alkmaar in Northern Holland and was initially used for transporting cabbages and other farm produce from the North to the South. She was converted in the sixties and I think they did a stunning job - the windows are particularly special.

Needs completely renovating inside and that'll be my task for the next couple of years. Wish me luck... :lol:

what a stunningly beautiful boat , well done and congratulations on getting it, it is also very rare and unique of only 2 are in existence, in particular i love the flat bow, adds character but all dutch barges have plenty of character, dd you have a survey?

how wide is it?

very interesting boat, once again congratulations

Mind you if you fancy an urban mooring (and a mega sexy boat).....

Apollo Duck

Course you'd have to put up with the yellowbellies.

And me.....occasionally :lol:

Actually now it's the rest of Eastern Europe. 10% (probably nearer 20%) of the population.

She's moored at Boston on the tidal, which is a pricey mooring (£0.0 I think). I've actually been onboard last year, when I met the owner in the marina pub the night before.

At least on a drying mooring you'll not have too much trouble pumping out twice a day when you sink :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words, slowcoach. I think she's pretty too. I did have a (very thorough) survey and the hull is completely over-plated with 4mm plate. in the very few areas where there was a little pitting the vendor paid for the boatyard to weld on new 5mm plate. Basically she's in very good shape. She's 10 feet wide.

Good question about the wheelhouse, blackrose. It is indeed a fixed steel wheelhouse which will limit my cruising range in the UK. I'm still undecided as to whether I will build a demountable wheelhouse or not. She's very well built, so I'm reluctant to tear the top off her, and whilst most of the carpentry inside the boat will be quite straightforward, building a leak-proof, attractive collapsible wheelhouse is a helluva challenge. I guess we'll have to see. It would certainly add to the resale value since, at 54'x10', she would be able to travel quite extensively in the UK with the top down.

That's just one of the questions I'll have to look at further down the line. Plenty to be getting on with in the meantime...

Edited by Tomska

Thanks for the kind words, slowcoach. I think she's pretty too. I did have a (very thorough) survey and the hull is completely over-plated with 4mm plate. in the very few areas where there was a little pitting the vendor paid for the boatyard to weld on new 5mm plate. Basically she's in very good shape. She's 10 feet wide.

Good question about the wheelhouse, blackrose. It is indeed a fixed steel wheelhouse which will limit my cruising range in the UK. I'm still undecided as to whether I will build a demountable wheelhouse or not. She's very well built, so I'm reluctant to tear the top off her, and whilst most of the carpentry inside the boat will be quite straightforward, building a leak-proof, attractive collapsible wheelhouse is a helluva challenge. I guess we'll have to see. It would certainly add to the resale value since, at 54'x10', she would be able to travel quite extensively in the UK with the top down.

That's just one of the questions I'll have to look at further down the line. Plenty to be getting on with in the meantime...

Yes, it's a difficult job to get right. I've seen a lot of strongly built Dutch barges & replicas with the most flimsy looking wheelhouses incorporating too much glass and not enough wood that look like they might blow off in a storm! My neighbour's wheelhouse suffers from terrible condensation problems in winter, so it all needs thinking about, but of course that's only if you want increased cruising range - otherwise don't bother.

Who did you go through to buy her or was it a private sale? Is it by any chance a Rod Taylor special?

Edited by blackrose

Who did you go through to buy her or was it a private sale? Is it by any chance a Rod Taylor special?

I spotted her on Apolloduck.nl - she was sold through Sander Doeve, one of the big 3 Dutch boat brokers. You save a lot of money by buying in the Netherlands, not least because of the strong poond.

The original advert...

Edited by Tomska

I spotted her on Apolloduck.nl - she was sold through Sander Doeve, one of the big 3 Dutch boat brokers. You save a lot of money by buying in the Netherlands, not least because of the strong poond.

The original advert...

Well spotted and not a bad price. Even with a full refit you should have a nice little ship for under £60K. I'm assuming it's costing a couple of grand to bring her across. Aren't you going for the trip? You'll never forget it.

Well spotted and not a bad price. Even with a full refit you should have a nice little ship for under £60K. I'm assuming it's costing a couple of grand to bring her across. Aren't you going for the trip? You'll never forget it.

She's coming across on the back of a mammoth flatbed, so I'll be waiting at the marina for the truck to arrive. Given the strong pound, the boat, survey, hull-blacking, craning and transport came to about £39,000 which I reckon is a bargain. I'm going to do her out in oak, so hopefully I can add a fair bit to that value.

Probably a good idea, you wouldn't want to lose your investment straight away! Where are you going to moor her?

There's room at the marina she's going in at, but that's pricey. I'm investigating other possibilities on the Thames - will have to see what comes up...

There's room at the marina she's going in at, but that's pricey. I'm investigating other possibilities on the Thames - will have to see what comes up...

That's what I like to see - just get the boat & don't worry about the mooring, something will come up.

Congratulations and if you're ever in Brentford I wouldn't mind a nose around.