42 feet of pure prettiness

MissMax

Featured Posts

Any chance of a summary for those who can't access the link?

CO alarm woke them in the middle of the night. They felt sick and ended up with 2 hours of tests & meds. Turns out it wasn't their boat at fault but that's not the point.

CO alarm woke them in the middle of the night. They felt sick and ended up with 2 hours of tests & meds. Turns out it wasn't their boat at fault but that's not the point.

Thanks, it does underline the fact that just being very careful yourself isn't enough. Alarms also help protect against other peoples boats. I am quite paranoid on this as our tiny half size lap dogs would succumb very quickly and I don't want to have to live with that.

Indeed. There's little point saying 'I don't have a stove or gas on board so I don't need a CO alarm' if you might be moored next to someone who has a leaky flue and faulty propane tank (as was reported to be the case here).

Forgive my scepticism but I can't see in that FB thread anywhere how they know the cause.

Someone said "neighbour's flue and cracked propane bottle" (or words to that effect). Propane bottles don;t crack, and even if the did they'd leak propane not CO. I'd be interested to read what tests were done to establish the neighbour's flue was the culprit.

Forgive my scepticism but I can't see in that FB thread anywhere how they know the cause.

Someone said "neighbour's flue and cracked propane bottle" (or words to that effect). Propane bottles don;t crack, and even if the did they'd leak propane not CO. I'd be interested to read what tests were done to establish the neighbour's flue was the culprit.

Went to have a read, "fireman couldn't go until cause was found". Suspect warmbeditis. Box ticked, off we go.

A catalytic gas fire, more probably. Flippin' death draps, them.

Did yours kill you too, or did you survive?

Catalytic, indeed. I did survive, though it melted part of my guitar case and nearly removed my eyebrows once. That was when I got rid of it and put the stove in. It was the only heating in the boat when I got it.

To add to the warnings from personal experience:

• My uncle died at the tender age of 28 - he went into a shower (one of those gas ones in unventilated rooms) on holiday, and never came out
  • My mother and sister were once found near-unconscious by a neighbour on the bed - neighbour let herself in based on a gut feeling that summat was wrong when my sister never showed up for a ballet class. Turned out it was a blocked boiler flue.
  • I spent several weeks with flu-like headachy symptoms in my house. And because I was feeling rough and low, I spent even more time in front of the fire cuddled up dozing. Only when I was moaning about feeling rough to a plumber friend did said friend call the gas board. Who immediately condemned my gas fire.
  • People in another hire boat travelling same route us back in early 80s had a problem with gas boiler (Alde??? I assume) had a near miss when the person passing out from CO poisoning fell off their bunk, and others heard the thud. Holiday abandoned for hospitals.

I am very very VERY wary of carbon monoxide now and have three separate detectors. They have in the past woken me up - sometimes as false alarms (gassing batteries), a few times because the fire was putting out fumes from a gap, a crack, and once my own naive stupidity leaving ash pan under fire to cool. Better safe than sorry.

• Greenie 2

Hi Miss Max, I do hope you are warm and safe and you haven't taken the comments to heart. We all offer safety advice as we want to make sure you are ok. If you don't feel like talking, could you let us know your okay?

I have missed your humour and banter and do wish you would reply.

Take care. James.

She has an apple device. From my Apple the text goes out in blue. The texts I have just sent turn green and then I get the message undelivered. If it needed charging it would still receive. The same if switched off or out of signal.

I'm a little concerned. I'll call Pennine boats tomorrow to see if they have any info.

• Greenie 1

She has an apple device. From my Apple the text goes out in blue. The texts I have just sent turn green and then I get the message undelivered. If it needed charging it would still receive. The same if switched off or out of signal.

I'm a little concerned. I'll call Pennine boats tomorrow to see if they have any info.

After the stuff he wrote in her last postings, you start to worry and also she's never left it for so long without any updates.

Hope that Pennine will be able to supply us with some hopefully good news tomorrow.

Peter.