Time share

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

Now retired, I have thought about buying my own boat to spend the southern winter away in the North. But I would only be able to be away from New Zealand for perhaps 4-5 months of the year. Is it feasible to entertain the idea of someone reliable to rent/ share costs for the remainder of the year ? I thought perhaps a nominal charge of perhaps £50 - 100 / week . Maybe include a small bond to ensure only reliable applicants . I would look to find a liveable boat perhaps 45 foot. Just an idea at this point , but my question is would there be any takers for such an opportunity ?

The problem is as soon as money changes hands it becomes a business that requires different insurance, safety checks, business use from CRT, etc, so not really an option for the normal boat owner and the nominal £50 - £100 pw would see them out of pocket if they tried to comply.

Neil

There are a number of ways to achieve what you are looking for, a couple are :

1) There are companies that run / manage boats and sell 'boat shares', (normally 1/12ths) so it should be possible to buy (say) 6x 1/12ths but no doubt as you want the boat available to you in our 'Summer' there may be a premium to pay as everyone else wants Summer months as well.

2) Buy a boat and let a hire company 'manage' it for you, you then get a % of the income. However he problem (again) is that hire boats are normally hired in the 'Summer' which is when you want to use it.

Maybe if you could accept April, May & June, that would leave 2 or 3 'premium' months left for other owners.

Talk to a few companies and see what options you have.

The advantages are (for both options) that you don't have to worry about maintenance, licence, insurance, etc etc, it is all done for you, just turn up, load up the boat and sail off into the blue yonder.

Disadvantages - unable to leave 'personal' stuff on board as it will be used every week / month by either your 'ownership partners' or the 'public'.

Edited by Alan de Enfield