Welding costs

Featured Posts

Does anyone know the approximate costs of having steel panels welded around the stern. I'd like to have the lower section below the handrail enclosed and having recently been given an astronomical quote for something I knew nothing about I'm now a tad wary. The boat is 10ft wide. Thanks in advance.post-14733-0-38336400-1472211046_thumb.jpeg

Edited by loubyscooby

How elaborate are you wanting this to be?

Just three panels cut to shape and welded in to place would cost perhaps £500 or so. If you want them and the welded areas primed and painted too then double that figure I would say.

If you want hinges and doors so the kids/dogs/hampsters/whatevers can't fall in then double it again!

So how much were you quoted then? Does my estimate support their prices or have I made them look cheap?!

Why do you need it done anyway? Would canvas 'dodgers' do the job just as well perhaps?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

assuming the panel is a basic square shape you could always fix an aluminium panel using self tapping screws.

Looking at the picture again Mikes canavas dodger suggestion could look better than solid panels.

Similar to this: http://www.svchapaai.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/P5160497.jpg

What were you quoted for the welding?

Edited by bag 'o' bones

The likes of Screwfix sell 5.5mm self drilling and self tapping hexagon set screws. You could use these to fix lengths of angle iron under the handrail. That will then give you the possibility of fixing steel, aluminium or sink down-sheets between the angle iron the the up-stand around the cockpit (if you have one). I used small nuts and bolts at the top and to join panels and the 5.5mm self drill/tap things into the up-stand.

This what I have done on my boat because I think old faded, wrinkled and stained dodgers just look awful. At least I can give mine a quick coat of paint.

assuming the panel is a basic square shape you could always fix an aluminium panel using self tapping screws.

The panels almost certainly won't be rectangular. The handrail supporting pillars slope inwards so the panels will be truncated pyramid-shaped.

Obtaining the steel and cutting it into panels the right shape will be most of the work. Actually welding the correctly cut panels into place will be a breeze!

You know it won't prevent you from falling in........there has been at least 1 fatality caused by the "fencing" on the back of a cruiser stern boat - basicaly its the ideal height to flip you over if the boat hits something backwards, especially if hitting eg the bank causes the rudder to turn sharply and this swings the tiller forcibly - hence the advice to keep out the arc of the tiller, especially in reverse.

If you can fall in in between the gap of the horizontal rail and the deck, you deserve a job in the circus as a contortionist.

If its for pets etc and a modification more for whilst mooring 99% of the time, then fair enough though.