Trip to Salthouse Dock, Liverpool

BraveNewWorld

Featured Posts

Ok no probs, I'd take a look at Claymoore Narrowboats, admittedly I've no experience of hire firms on the L&L though to compare against. There's also 2 hire firms in Middlewich; and Black Prince in Acton. Off the top of my head I think they'd just about be in range to make the trip.

If you want to see the best of the L&L, you could consider Silsden Boats. Probably at the very end of a realistic range for a 10/11 day trip to Liverpool and back, but the stretch from SIlsden through Skipton and on into Lancashire is stunning.

Bridgewater marina only have one boat currently but that would be the nearest to Liverpool - it also seems to be very keenly priced but it's only a 4 berth.

Claymoore will also be easy with just 9 locks each way (excluding those on the link itself). Black Prince not much further with an extra stop lock and Preston Brook tunnel.

Canal Boat Cruises would also be handy but you will need to do the 23 locks at Wigan and the 7 at Johnson's Hillock twice from there. An enthusiastic crew might prefer that.

Interestingly canal planner suggests a bit over 30 hours from Acton Bridge but only 26 from Riley Green. Therefore it's eminently doable in a 10/11 night holiday.

You need to complete a form to access the link but I assume the hire company could help with that and with advising you on timing. These days you can go into Liverpool on any day except Tuesday.

Ok no probs, I'd take a look at Claymoore Narrowboats, admittedly I've no experience of hire firms on the L&L though to compare against. There's also 2 hire firms in Middlewich; and Black Prince in Acton. Off the top of my head I think they'd just about be in range to make the trip.

We used Claymore a few years ago and they were perfectly fine, despite the unusual spelling of the boat name "Consol Forge" ! We wanted to do Liverpool and I worked out the timings - it was just about possible on a one-week hire (Fri-Fri) but it was the lack of a Tuesday passage down (or up) to/from Salthouse dock which scuppered the plan. In the end, we went to Dobcros on The Huddersfield Narrow instead. with 10-11 days, you should be OK from Preston Brook to Liverpool - just remember not to turn off toward Wigan if the boat is over 60' !

Edited by Pete of Ebor