Rifle on the roof

Moley

Featured Posts

CLAYMORE

I always had a softspot for the above mounted on the bow it would give you a pretty effective kill zone upto about 75m out over 60 degree of arc! And you don't even need to aim just a simple click of the clicker while sipping your wine! :lol:

Be careful about letting it off whilst at the bottom of a lock, though - think of the ricochets!

I've had guns since I was seven,... (snip)... There's not much I aint used.

That aside, any tosser that has an air rifle on show in full view of joe public deserves all the legislation (we) get.

Quite. I've only ever used single shot .22 rifles and pistols, in the confines of a club, and have been taught to use them properly and responsibly. Also shot clays but only on one occasion. Gave everyone else a laugh, shotguns kick a bit. “PULL .... (*bang*) ... F**K! .... (*bang*) ... Jesus Christ!!!!” Nearly put my shoulder out, and they hadn't given me ear muffs either.

I do possess a target air pistol, it's safe at home, I certainly wouldn't leave it on the roof of the boat

who amongst the members in the last 12 months has been attacked? what damage or injury has been suffered?

TeeELL had some stones thrown while moving Elemiah through Birmingham, it's mentioned in his cruise log. I haven't, and I'm not aware of anyone else.

as for the rifle on the roof man saying it is to warn kids , could it have been said in jest.

He meant it, and struck me as the sort who deserves to have stones thrown at him. I'd have been tempted.

Just to set the record straight

We are not moored on BW land the land owner recognises the mink problem that we have (he also shoots them)

and i have his full permission

As it would be nice just to see even a moorhen back down that stretch

As said previously anybody with a gun on show on the roof need a head examination

We had an egg thown at us in Retford on the chesterfield which was quite amusing cos those responsible did it from behind a hedge and we never even saw them but it was a real hot day and it started cooking on the back hatch So when it had gone white it was real easy to clean up

We had an egg thown at us in Retford on the chesterfield which was quite amusing cos those responsible did it from behind a hedge and we never even saw them but it was a real hot day and it started cooking on the back hatch So when it had gone white it was real easy to clean up

Did you ask them if they had any bacon to go with it?

I used to shoot a lot - pistols, mainly. Learning in a club certainly taught me respect for firearms. Ex-armed forces people tend to have the same respect.

Casual shooters often don't, we've had a shotgun discharged over our boat, in fact, over Charly's head. As we have expensive rigging and mast, we were concerned about damage to that as well as personal safety.

It is an offense to discharge any firearm across a public right of way, or over a boundary (unless you have permission to shoot in the adjacent land).

Hi,

I think you might find that your boat is your property ....and on your private property you can keep your air rifle, I strongly suspect that the roof of your boat is also your property? and as long as the weapon isnt used, I would suspect you are doing nothing wrong. I would have to check with my cousin who is a copper, on this legality, but I do seem to recall him saying something of this ilk to me. a while ago when air rifels got brought up....as they do...

I stand corrected of course.. if this is wrong....

Hi,

I think you might find that your boat is your property ....and on your private property you can keep your air rifle, I strongly suspect that the roof of your boat is also your property? and as long as the weapon isnt used, I would suspect you are doing nothing wrong. I would have to check with my cousin who is a copper, on this legality, but I do seem to recall him saying something of this ilk to me. a while ago when air rifels got brought up....as they do...

I stand corrected of course.. if this is wrong....

"property" here refers to "real property", that is to say estates in land, rather than moveable property.

so who does your boat belong to? .... :lol: LOL

You

what if its your home?

It is still a chattel rather than real property.

You neither own nor have a registrable leasehold interest in the land beneath it.

will get back with the answer as soon as he rings me....its always best to hear it from the horses mouth me thinks...saves arguing to toss...

You

It is still a chattel rather than real property.

You neither own nor have a registrable leasehold interest in the land beneath it.

but the BOAT is YOUR property :lol: your not taking the gun off your property? :rolleyes: hehehe

look, lets wait and see what he says eh...Unless you are a policeman...that is :(

Here is the dictionary's definition of Chattel

chat·tel /ˈtʃætl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[chat-l] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. Law. a movable article of personal property.

2. any article of tangible property other than land, buildings, and other things annexed to land.

3. a slave.

Edited by minerva

Air Gun Laws state.

Public Places and Highways

A public place is anywhere where the public are allowed to go even though they may have to pay to be there. Roads, streets, footpaths, public parks, play areas and canal towpaths are all examples of public places.

It is an offence for anyone to have an air rifle - whether it is loaded or not - in a public place unless they have a reasonable excuse for doing so, for example, whilst on the way to a gunshop or to a shooting club.

Offence Penalties: Statute Law

The Penalties for breaking current UK firearms laws with Airguns are as follows:-

Carrying a loaded Air-weapon in a public place 6 months imprisonment and / or £5,000 fine.

Trespassing with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.

Trespassing on private land with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.

Possessing or using an air weapon if sentenced to 3 months or more in custody 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.

In addition if original sentence up to 3 years 5 year ban on use of firearms.

Or if for 3 years or more Life ban on use of firearms.

Killing or injuring any bird or protected animal unless authorised £5,000 fine.

Firing an air weapon within 15m / 50ft of a public highway £1,000 fine.

Selling or hiring air weapon or ammunition to person under 18 6 months imprisonment and / or £5,000 fine.

Making a gift of air weapon or ammunition to person under 14 £1,000 fine.

Having air weapon or ammunition with intent to damage property 10 years imprisonment.

Having air weapon with intent to endanger life Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.

Using air weapon to resist or prevent arrest Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.

Threatening others with an air weapon (even if unloaded) to cause them to fear unlawful violence 10 years imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.

Not forgetting the chance of being shot and killed by the police should you not obey instructions when challenged by them, they cannot tell if you have just an airgun or a more lethal firearm so will treat all arms as lethal and respond accordingly.

If you want to read more then go to http://www.chweston.co.uk/acatalog/Airgun_Laws.html

I was also under the impression that you had to keep firearms in a fixed and lock cabinet at all times unless being used. But I maybe wrong. If I had seen this particular person I would not of hesitated in calling the police or BW.

No, Jo not an air rifle....you can take that in a public area as long as it has its cover on... we are debating that a boat is your property, therefore if this is the case, you are within your rights to have an air rifle in/on that property. Now unless the law has changed, then Im pretty positive Im correct in this... but I will wait till I hear from my cousin...

As I have stated already I have rung my cousin who is a policeman and im waiting for him to get back to me with the legality of this...

:lol:

How about a bit of Keelhauling after all it was good enough for the Royal Navy for two hundred or so years?

Most ditch crawlers only have a fairly narrow beam so without you balls it up big time there wouldn't be much chance of drowning the little darlings would there?

Edited by Gary Peacock

Many moons ago, whilst working in South Africa I had the following conversation with an Afrikaner collegue.

He: "I missed a great chance on Sunday"

Me: "Oh yes, what was that?"

He: A kaffir tried to break into a house, and when he was seen he fled through the gardens right in front of me"

Me: So what chance did you miss?"

He: If I'd had my gun on me, I could have shot him!"

This guy just wanted to shoot a "kaffir".

Similarly, in my opinion, this bloke with the air rifle wants to use it. It will be revenge for every slight he has ever suffered. By showing the weapon off he is saying "Look at my potency! see how dominant and unafraid I am".

The problem with all weapons is that in most cases they make very good deterrents but when that changes to having to use them it usually gets messy.

If you work with them you are taught to make a big play on the fact that you are armed, it's surprising what a difference it makes believe me it always worked better than a friendly chat.

What you are supposed to do with a single shot air rifle with on a good day only a power of 12 foot pounds force is going to be farcical at the best, you shoot that at someone and there is a very good chance that before you reload it they might take it off you and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Considering that it seems to be a pretty daft approach to adopt in the first place, I think the a video camera and a bit more activity from the local Keystone Kops is a better approach. :lol:

No, Jo not an air rifle....you can take that in a public area as long as it has its cover on... we are debating that a boat is your property, therefore if this is the case, you are within your rights to have an air rifle in/on that property.

Jo and Minerva, many thanks for your comments.

This rifle was not in a cover, it was in full view on the roof of the boat in question, within easy reach of the helmsman.

Even if that boat was his property (or he had a share in ownership of that property), that boat was in a public place.

I have no way of knowing if the weapon was loaded or not, but everything here would seem to suggest that its presence was highly questionable, and with a much fuller understanding thanks to forum members, I would not hesitate to report him in future.

Jo and Minerva, many thanks for your comments.

This rifle was not in a cover, it was in full view on the roof of the boat in question, within easy reach of the helmsman.

Even if that boat was his property (or he had a share in ownership of that property), that boat was in a public place.

I have no way of knowing if the weapon was loaded or not, but everything here would seem to suggest that its presence was highly questionable, and with a much fuller understanding thanks to forum members, I would not hesitate to report him in future.

Moley Your first posting was a very good one, it has certainly bought up a good debate.

My husband and I have had a first hand experience with a firearm, when we were shot at from the towpath with an air pistol. Thankfully the pellets missed us and hit the boat. The Police in Coventry took this extremely seriously, and the youths were caught and taken to court.

The sheer fact that this guy had the gun uncovered on the roof, for the use incase of bandits would be seen by the police as intent.

I personally always have my mobile phone on hand and the camera, which were both used when we were fired upon, and the police found the photographs useful.

Great posting Moley.