Cleaning and waterproofing canvas cover.

AllanD

Featured Posts

Having tried other methods with limited success, I used Renovo Cleaner, followed by Renovo Colourant and Renovo Waterproofer. Cost around £45 to do, but excellent and long lasting results.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Renovo-Convertible-Cleaner-Complete-Millaissolutions/dp/B01347Y5P6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1471775787&sr=8-4&keywords=renovo

I see its gone up a bit now, since I bought it.

The trick is not to let them get mouldy in the first instance.

We wash ours each year with a mild Stardrops solution and soft brush. Then once they are dried we apply Fabsil.

We have a lot of canopy to do so it is a good days work if we get warm weather to dry the canopies quickly. If not it runs into two days.

This keeps the hoods mould free and looking like new even though they are now five years old.

The trick is not to let them get mouldy in the first instance.

We wash ours each year with a mild Stardrops solution and soft brush. Then once they are dried we apply Fabsil.

We have a lot of canopy to do so it is a good days work if we get warm weather to dry the canopies quickly. If not it runs into two days.

This keeps the hoods mould free and looking like new even though they are now five years old.

Same we do with the cabriolet hood on our car, except that I treat that at least 4 times a year..

That's a bit harsh.

It might be about where the car is kept. If it has to be parked under trees or in close proximity to anywhere harbouring green algae that would explain the need. I have a car with a hood that has never had any treatment but it is garaged 90% of the time.

What car do you have?

Jag XKR which regularly enters concours competitions - we're at Windsor Castle in a couple of weeks.

28754120481_ea77d561b3_k.jpg

It might be about where the car is kept. If it has to be parked under trees or in close proximity to anywhere harbouring green algae that would explain the need. I have a car with a hood that has never had any treatment but it is garaged 90% of the time.

It is indeed kept under (or at least very close to) trees and is washed regularly. Because the car is often shown, whenever I detail it the hood always gets a good clean as well which will wash out the treatment if I don't keep on top of it. As it is, it looks like new.

Each to their own. I can easily take 2 days washing, rinsing, paint correcting, polishing, waxing etc. Next door neighbour prefers to use a car wash which is fine too - it's his car.

Jag XKR which regularly enters concours competitions - we're at Windsor Castle in a couple of weeks.

28754120481_ea77d561b3_k.jpg

It is indeed kept under (or at least very close to) trees and is washed regularly. Because the car is often shown, whenever I detail it the hood always gets a good clean as well which will wash out the treatment if I don't keep on top of it. As it is, it looks like new.

Each to their own. I can easily take 2 days washing, rinsing, paint correcting, polishing, waxing etc. Next door neighbour prefers to use a car wash which is fine too - it's his car.

Alloy bodied nice car and a high quality hood and yes scrubbing it does remove all the waterproofing as I have re waterproofed plenty of customers for the same reason. You can get those little hood covers for it, all it takes is the wrong bird crapping on it and you are in a world of pain!!

I used to own Rotherham Jag center so I do have experience of that pain it wouldnt scrub out and renvo didnt help either.

Enjoy it as they wont be making any more XKs

Indeed :)

Considered an F-Type but we were getting rid of a sports car anyway and wanted a GT. Not intending to get rid of it any time soon, that's for sure.

Alloy bodied nice car and a high quality hood and yes scrubbing it does remove all the waterproofing as I have re waterproofed plenty of customers for the same reason. You can get those little hood covers for it, all it takes is the wrong bird crapping on it and you are in a world of pain!!

I used to own Rotherham Jag center so I do have experience of that pain it wouldnt scrub out and renvo didnt help either.

Indeed. A decent car cover takes seconds to fit and remove.

To get the Sierra out we have to removed security post from the drive, remove spare car out of the drive, turn off garage alarm, unlock the garage (three locks), remove full car cover, remove disc lock, unchain car from the garage floor (front and rear, two locks), get car out, relock garage, put spare car back in the drive, refit security post.

Doesn't stop us using it. The two of us have it down to a five minute process. The car cover is the easy bit!

You can get those little hood covers for it...

Are there any you'd recommend? I've seen some that strap under the body (we'd never use it) and some which tear at the first sign of wind. If there is one that takes just a couple of minutes to fit and remove (like bungee straps to the wheel arches) then we'd consider one I think. If it doesn't go on and off quickly then it'd be more trouble than it's worth. "I'm just popping down to the shop... oh, wait..."