Poyle wooden narrowboat

bigcol

Featured Posts

Hi a couple of years ago, I helped with selling a old wooden boat, for a nice guy we met on the cut.

It was sold, but apparently had some work done, to the hull.

Since then the previous owner guy I helped sell it, has learnt that the boat has sunk.

No one and CRT have had no luck finding the new owner. CRT have had to salvage the boat, and have taken it away. I imagine it has been sold to recover cost of salvage

The gentleman Stewart is a bit upset th hear this, and wondered where his boat may be.

Poyle Built by Nursers - Length : 21.03 metres ( 69 feet ) - Beam : 2.38 metres ... Registered with Canal & River Trust number 67068 as a Powered Motor Boat. ... Polly Built by C&g Narrowboats - Length : 17.374 metres ( 57 feet ) - Beam : 2.083 ...

A very old boat owned by this gentleman for over 40 years!!

Any help in locating or even to say it's floating and being cared for be great

Thanks in advance

Col

Hi a couple of years ago, I helped with selling a old wooden boat, for a nice guy we met on the cut.

It was sold, but apparently had some work done, to the hull.

Since then the previous owner guy I helped sell it, has learnt that the boat has sunk.

No one and CRT have had no luck finding the new owner. CRT have had to salvage the boat, and have taken it away. I imagine it has been sold to recover cost of salvage

The gentleman Stewart is a bit upset th hear this, and wondered where his boat may be.

Can't help other than to echo Flyboy's suggestion to get on to CRT. Presumably you mean "where the boat he used to own may be"?

Can't help other than to echo Flyboy's suggestion to get on to CRT. Presumably you mean "where the boat he used to own may be"?

Yes I'm trying here just in case, hoping a new owner has bought Poyle from CRT, poss forum member?

And is still floating and being cared for. Not scrapped or somthing

Col

I am afraid CRT very seldom manage to remove 80 year old sunken narrow boats from the canal in a state where they still have a future.

If it had remained sunk, and CRT ended up dealing with it, rather than anybody else, I very much doubt it has survived, I'm afraid.

A shame if so - we regularly used to pass it over the years, and although "clearly in need of constant TLC", I never actually saw it sunk.

Edited by alan_fincher

• 1 year later...

If CRT "salvaged" it then I would ask them where they put it although the most likely response is "Landfill".

23 minutes ago, Binkie's Grandson said:

My mother is currently transcribing her father's logs from the late 60'/early 70's and he mentions Poyle alot while motoring around Aylesbury and Hemel Hempstead. Same boat? My grandfather, Binkie Bush, had a boat called Pearl.

If it was a TCO tar boat then yes, it was the same boat.

Was your grandfather's boat also a Nurser built tar boat?

31 minutes ago, Binkie's Grandson said:

My mother is currently transcribing her father's logs from the late 60'/early 70's and he mentions Poyle alot while motoring around Aylesbury and Hemel Hempstead. Same boat? My grandfather, Binkie Bush, had a boat called Pearl.

Photo taken October 2007.

DSCF1701.JPG.4affe856ba3be6be62f0f6afe71e5746.JPG

Edited by Ray T

4 hours ago, Binkie's Grandson said:

Almost certainly the same boat.

I suspect it is an "ex boat" now, though, unfortunately.

Somewhere recently I have see correspondence by those who really ought to know better confusing Poyle with Pearl.  It doesn't seem to be on the forum, so I'm wondering where I did see it - in a Facebook group, possibly?

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 23:02, ditchcrawler said:

Last time I saw it the owner was explaining to me the stuff he used on the rotten timbers that made it hard as concrete. cant remember now what it was or whether it was just a filler.

Might well have been Ronseal Wet Rot Wood Hardener, a very strong smelling resin type stuff you brush on soft rotten wood & it makes it really hard to take a two part filler. Usually used on domestic rotten wooden windows, works well.

1 hour ago, sharpness said:

Might well have been Ronseal Wet Rot Wood Hardener, a very strong smelling resin type stuff you brush on soft rotten wood & it makes it really hard to take a two part filler. Usually used on domestic rotten wooden windows, works well.

Or Git Rot. 

On 9/25/2017 at 12:43, Binkie's Grandson said:

No, not this Pearl, the wooden tar boat; this confusion seems to be endless. My grandfather's boat was a converted FMC steamer called Baron, now re-named the same and back as a working boat. 

Found this in the CRT Archive, Baron at Brentford.

Baron at Brentford.jpg