Kelvin P4R

Catnip King

Featured Posts

So I bought a boat not long ago came with a reconditioned kelvin p4r it looks great but runs like crap. Called plenty of people including the guy who reconditioned it but he can't help me. Charles Mills was the guy who did it. Anyway I'm just sick of it all and most likely will get the engine taken out and get a brand new one put in. Is there anyone who would be able to come and have a final look for me at Northwich Quay to see if it is repairable and not going to need a rebuild again?

Just spoken to a chap I know who sorts Kelvins.

He can't look as he's too busy at the moment (and he doesn't like them) but had this to offer.

The P series engine parts are very difficult to get hold of, and the engine was in his opinion never particularly good.

He thinks the best thing would be to take it out and put something else in!

I know nothing about them and have no agenda, just thought I might have a contact to help you out, but it looks like that's not going to work.

(I do have a nice rebuilt Lister SR2 which is completely unsuitable and far too small I'm sure!!!tongue.png )

Sue

I feel your pain!

We bought a boat with P4 in - it smoked like no other engine I have ever had, then I bought a reconditioned engine that was probably worse than the first one.

Eventually I gave up and we put a Perkins AD3 in its place and that was a huge improvement. The P4 has a bad reputation, certainly in narrowboats, maybe they just don't get hot enough.

I think you would be better just getting rid of it. Spares are very few and far between, especially for the gear box where they have often rotted out due to sea water causing corrosion of the cooling jacket.

Interesting that you say it runs like 'crap' - mine always started well and sounded nice - it just laid a smoke screen down wherever we went.

Actually thinking about it, it did coke up the heads with monotonous regularity!

Get rid,

it just laid a smoke screen down wherever we went.

Actually thinking about it, it did coke up the heads with monotonous regularity!

Those symptoms sound like they are strongly connected biggrin.png

Richard

Just spoken to a chap I know who sorts Kelvins.

He can't look as he's too busy at the moment (and he doesn't like them) but had this to offer.

The P series engine parts are very difficult to get hold of, and the engine was in his opinion never particularly good.

He thinks the best thing would be to take it out and put something else in!

I know nothing about them and have no agenda, just thought I might have a contact to help you out, but it looks like that's not going to work.

(I do have a nice rebuilt Lister SR2 which is completely unsuitable and far too small I'm sure!!!tongue.png )

Sue

clapping.gif

I'm not sure to be honest. I do know I have an invoice from the man who did all this work and it was only invoiced 2 months ago.... for £3300. What a bloody joke. I'm wondering if there is any legal thing I can do to sort this out. Can I take the man who rebuilt it to court or should I take the man who sold me the boat to court? It doesn't seem right.

Edited by Catnip King

I'm not sure to be honest. I do know I have an invoice from the man who did all this work and it was only invoiced 2 months ago.... for £3300. What a bloody joke. I'm wondering if there is any legal thing I can do to sort this out. Can I take the man who rebuilt it to court or should I take the man who sold me the boat to court? It doesn't seem right.

Neither. You don't have a contract with the engine rebuilder, and I'm pretty sure Caveat Emptor applies to your deal with the boat seller

How catastrophic is this engine?

Richard

• Greenie 1

I had a feeling that would be the case hence why the rebuilder stayed well clear of it this time admitting he hated working on it. I'm on the river now and I did open the engine up and got some serious power from it and got covered in sticky soot/tar.... it seems ok on the river just on the canal it stalls all the time on tickover.

Neither. You don't have a contract with the engine rebuilder, and I'm pretty sure Caveat Emptor applies to your deal with the boat seller

How catastrophic is this engine?

Richard

For now I am keeping it in the hopes I can find someone to fix it or I will learn to do it myself (and possibly ruin it for good ;) )

I had a feeling that would be the case hence why the rebuilder stayed well clear of it this time admitting he hated working on it. I'm on the river now and I did open the engine up and got some serious power from it and got covered in sticky soot/tar.... it seems ok on the river just on the canal it stalls all the time on tickover.

The soot throwing is normal vintage engine behaviour. They chug around doing bugger all for ages, when they get a chance to get really hot they clear out the exhaust. Try it in a tunnel, you'll get a firework display - and a dirty shirt

Otherwise, your idle speed is too low

Richard

The soot throwing is normal vintage engine behaviour. They chug around doing bugger all for ages, when they get a chance to get really hot they clear out the exhaust. Try it in a tunnel, you'll get a firework display - and a dirty shirt

Otherwise, your idle speed is too low

Richard

Cheers Richard. I do wonder if its me just used to modern engines and I do need to get more accustomed to it.