Water on the Rochdale

pearley

Featured Posts

You may recall DeanS saying that on his trip on the Rochdale a couple of years ago the water at Slattocks and Summit were no longer available. Now, on Facebook, it is reported that the water at Walsden has been 'terminated' by the Trust. Their term, not mine.

This means a long hop, in time, from Littleborough to Todmorden. Not so good if you also want to visit Hollingworth Lake or walk up to the reservoirs at the Summit.

There was no lockie at the summit last time I was there.

Afaik he had enough of the management and now drives wagons.

I didn't know about the Walsden waterpoint being closed. I'll check next time I go by. Also it's not far from Littleborough to Todmorden, water and sani station at each. Easily doable in 2 days. So do Hollingworth lake, top up your tank at the water point, walk up to the top of the hill from there too.

Ps, there never was a working waterfront at Summit, just tap with K9 Waterpoint written on it and a dog bowl. Though it was marked on Nicholsons, it was never connected. At one time the locking cottage at slattocks had an outside tap that was usable by permission of the owner. There is a need for a tap between Manchester and Rochdale, maybe at Mills hill Rose and Crown.

Sorry Jim but the one at Summit wasn't just a tap. It was, in 2010, a BW cast water pillar. It didn't work then but I'm afraid my memory doesn't recall if it was there or working in 1995 or 1997 when we were there previously.

The one at Slattocks was made available by courtesy of the IWA member who owned the house but the current owner doesn't. We were last at Walsden when the land alongside the water point was being developed and the fence was such that boaters had about 12 inches of bank to tie to and walk along. So either CRT have now determined it is dangerous or the new home owners have persuaded them to remove the facility.

You are correct in that more services are required but the real problem is that CRT and BW before them have been removing facilities all over the system with no consultation and without providing any alternative. In many cases because they have sold the property nearby without thinking that water for boaters taps is fed through the house supply. I can think of a dozen or more in the North East that have been removed over the past few years. The really galling bit is that they still appear on CRTs maps.

Afaik he had enough of the management and now drives wagons.

I didn't know about the Walsden waterpoint being closed. I'll check next time I go by. Also it's not far from Littleborough to Todmorden, water and sani station at each. Easily doable in 2 days. So do Hollingworth lake, top up your tank at the water point, walk up to the top of the hill from there too.

But I wouldn't want to do it in 2 days.

Edited by pearley

Try contacting Bob Furnell on: littleboroughcanal@hotmail.com

He is a volunteer lockie in the area and coordinates the Litttleborough Canal Adoption Group, he can probably help.

You may well get a phone number for him via CART if it's urgent.

Bob Furnell is no longer an official volocky, though he still coordinates the canal support group. I know the summit water point is a proper one, still there, never connected.

Edited by Jim Riley