* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

No i just ment when you look into it nearly every boat is stolen from a marina or a boat yard or boat hire.Very few are on private or no mooring

I and others have mentioned before that this is to be expected really. Whilst it's not exclusively so, lots of marina based boats are used now and then and then left for weeks or even months til the next visit. It's this gap which offers the theif time to move and disguise a boat before the owners return and its theft is reported.

No i just ment when you look into it nearly every boat is stolen from a marina or a boat yard or boat hire.Very few are on private or no mooring

Where better though to go looking for a boat that might take your fancy? Lots of choice?

Boats on towpaths and private moorings are usually occupied most of the time , so as has been mentioned, the window of opportunity is not there as it is with marina based boats.

I would imagine most marinas are as secure as they can be without being locked down.

The one thing I shall take from this incident is that I will be more circumspect about information I give when chatting people around the canal, whether passers-by or boaters. This is sad because one of the great joys of boating, for this townie, is the relaxed interaction with others which is something rarely encountered elsewhere, where even eye-contact can be construed as aggressive. We actually have to stop ourselves greeting everyone we pass, or waving to every child we see once we are back home!

Now I will not be talking about where we moor, where we come from, how long we are planning to be out, how often we get to visit the boat etc. sad.png

Now I will not be talking about where we moor, where we come from, how long we are planning to be out, how often we get to visit the boat etc. sad.png

I think you are being unnecessarily paranoid. We don't know anything about this theft yet

Richard

• Greenie 2

The one thing I shall take from this incident is that I will be more circumspect about information I give when chatting people around the canal, whether passers-by or boaters. <snip>

Now I will not be talking about where we moor, where we come from, how long we are planning to be out, how often we get to visit the boat etc. :(

Same here. And as said less paranoid, costly and awkward than some security measures mentioned

T C

Same here. And as said less paranoid, costly and awkward than some security measures mentioned

T C

Well if you all want to really get paranoid you might as well remove your licence from the window as your location can be gleaned from that, and while your at it repaint the boat in a dull unkempt colour to make it less attractive to all those boat tealeafs out there.

Come on people

as in opened? or as in walked over for lock operation?

Both

Well if you all want to really get paranoid you might as well remove your licence from the window as your location can be gleaned from that, and while your at it repaint the boat in a dull unkempt colour to make it less attractive to all those boat tealeafs out there.

Come on people

Or paint it like this

post-261-0-06906500-1471121244_thumb.jpg

Originally told by the comedian Dust Young a Dubliner from Dublin. The chap who went into the Army & Navy stores in Dublin for a camouflage jacket. The assistant said ''We sartainly have soir, we got tousands of em but we cannot foind em.

Dusty Young was a great Irish comedian who performed telling Irish jokes all over Ireland in clubs, pubs and theatres. Many audio tapes and CD's were recorded of Dusty telling jokes which are very popular with the Irish as well as world wide and are regularly played to tourists during holiday coach trips.

Formally a big band musician and actor Dusty naturally a funny man soon became famous for his Irish humour and Irish jokes.

One of his favourite one liners jokes was;-

The municipal library in Dublin was burnt to the ground. .........Both books were destroyed.... and one wasn't even coloured in.

Edited by bizzard

Please could we have an update on the circumstances of how it was found, where it was hidden, and if the thieves have been found?

I don't think so at the moment, as somewhere in this thread the police have asked those involved to keep shtum whilst they (police) are carrying out their investigations

Edited by Ray T

If this article is to be believed, there are more thefts than we may imagine. http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/4251648.Pirates_on_the_canal__50ft_narrowboat_stolen_in_Chorley/

That was in 2009!

Perhaps but the "usual 10 per year" suggests that theft was more common than gets reported. I, being a cynic, don't believe the crime will have fallen from 10 per year to one or less a year now.

Although I can't see any obvious poor attempt at humour in it, I do wonder if the date of April 1st may be signiificant?

This is just daft, isn't it.......

He said: "In the past year I would guess there have been around 70 to 80 similar thefts, whereas in previous years it would be around 10 on average.

Hardly a credible article, even assuming it is not a poor April Fool!