* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

BL-5B batteries from the pictures... 760mAh

Thanks!

Any idea how long a battery might last? If a few weeks then it can be replaced on each boat visit but if just a day or two then it will need to be hard wired...

Well for a start it costs £624, so hardly fits my 'low cost' parameter. And there is no clue on a brief scan of the website as to if or how it can see through steel roof. Or where on the outside of a steel tug style boat they would fit it 'invisibly'.

I think the cost and whether it fits a low cost parameter rather depends on the value of the goods you are protecting. In this case we are talking about an £80k Narrowboat ISTR.

I personally don't think the costs associated with that tracker are much out of the way. People fit them to caravans worth a quarter of that.

As for will it work in a steel tube, this too I don't know either but given that most caravans are effectively a tin box it very well might. I'm sure a call to the company if anyone was interested in one for their boat would elicit an answer.

Edited by MJG

Thanks!

Any idea how long a battery might last? If a few weeks then it can be replaced on each boat visit but if just a day or two then it will need to be hard wired...

Looks like the 104 pro would be better for boats, large battery, can be hard wired and has remote antenna.

I think if your just using the txt functions you don't need to subscribe as that is just for live tracking, which I believe would need gsm data as well.

Good point.... best I can find is 4 quid a month so it is starting to add up.

Thanks for the GiffGaff links - in the interests of forum research I have ordered a £15 quid tracker and a Giffgaff sim - if it works it'll be a £30 quid experiment that'll hopefully last at least 6 months .... I'll report back. Now I really need to mow the grass !

• Greenie 1

Some kind of ferocious pets left to guard the boat might be the answer, imported from those countries where orrible ferocious and malignant beasties live. Like a swarm of killer bees from Africa, a giant Anaconda from up the Amazon, ''can probably also be bought from Amazon'', or any big constrictors of the Python family that would squeeze a thief to death, not to mention Rattle snakes and Cobras which would deliver a deadly poisonous bite to a thief. A fully grown Bengal Tiger from the Punjab maybe or even a bad tempered and malicious swan to break thieves arms with their wings.

I recommend getting really pally and subservient towards pets like these though like giving up your bed for them and feeding them nothing but the best grub or they might practice their venom on you. closedeyes.gif

Just catching up on the latest, a bit late. So just to say a huge Well Done to all concerned in the recovery of this boat and to everyone who went out of their way to help find it. I'm assuming the boat is officially a crime scene at the moment, where ever it it's moored so the police can do all the necessary forensics, fingerprints etc, but I hope C&G will be able to update personally in due course.

.... slapped wrists to Tonka for his comment ... a bit rude and un-necessary IMO. ...

I would agree.

N

The art with a tracker is to find a reliable SIM that will remain active for years. Modern sims often have expiry dates like months after the last activity.

Sadly there will be a need to fit a radio transparent box to the roof in a way that cannot be easily detected. The roof of a caravan is a lot less easy to study in detail!

What a great outcome. Please keep us posted and hopefully the felons will be suitably re-homed by Her Majesty for a very long time in due course.

If it's any help for the future, I've used this firm for some tough padlocks over the years and they've been excellent:

http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/

I will pin this again so that it will be easy to find when Chris and Graham are allowed to give us all the gory details.

Theo

So pleased that you have got your boat back. Hopefully the scum that took it will be brought to justice very soon. Once thecwheels of justice start turning and you are free to tell your story I would be pleased to hear it. I hope you can recover from this awful experience quickly, and will soon get back to enjoying boating.

Well done to all those that helped looking for it. The boating community can be wonderful at times.

Top Cat

So pleased that you have got your boat back. Hopefully the scum that took it will be brought to justice very soon. Once thecwheels of justice start turning and you are free to tell your story I would be pleased to hear it. I hope you can recover from this awful experience quickly, and will soon get back to enjoying boating.

Well done to all those that helped looking for it. The boating community can be wonderful at times.

Top Cat

Very well put and agree 100%

Well whats the chances of that happening.!!!

We finally get a photo of the missing boat on the cut, and the occupants are actually the owners.

And I bet that if you had told Nick and Anne that fact, we would all have said "yeah right, call the police"

Glad you have been reunited with your boat, and hope its been looked after to some degree..

I'm absolutely thrilled that you have got your beloved boat back.

No matter what has happened, the boat was yours and still is yours, so I do hope that you won't feel violated... not too much anyway. Hopefully a good clean and some time under your belt and you can relax and enjoy yourselves with your boat again.

I am SO glad you have your boat back, Chris and Graham, and I understand that you cannot tell us the details at this stage. I wonder if you can say though whether the Police think there is/may be a link between the theft of your boat and the one from Kings Bromley. Those of us who moor in that area might sleep a wee bit easier in our beds if we hear there is no link. If there is thought to be a link and if the thief hasn't been caught, he may strike again and steal another boat in that area.

Totally understand though if you can't give this information.

Haggis

Thank you for your very kind and supportive comments. If any of you are passing a poster or see one, and it is convenient, would you mind removing it, or ask the boatyard, or marina etc.to. We have, with Robert from Mercia, sent the flier to so many that I for one have lost count of who has one and who not, many thanks. Happy cruising everyone! And

• Greenie 1

So very very pleased that the boat is back to its rightful owners, what an awful time you have had. I feel that it was always going to be found, I cannot understand that it was found so close to Mercia, I was expecting it to be found down here on the K & A at Honey Street or Avoncliff. At any rate miles from the T& M. Hope there was not too much damage done. All boat owners please start thinking about securing your boat when you leave it - in a Marina or on the towpath.

Denise