* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

Rather than shut the stable door after the horse has gone, with the likes of tracking devices and pre-prepared find my boat packs, I'd be looking at immobilisation. If the engine can't be run it's unlikely to be stolen. Simple and not quick to defeat would be a hidden fuel tap in addition to the bss required visible one. Further confusion eg hidden switches in fuel pump supply or starter solenoid and your putative thief would probably give up.

• Greenie 1

Just catching up on the latest, a bit late. So just to say a huge Well Done to all concerned in the recovery of this boat and to everyone who went out of their way to help find it. I'm assuming the boat is officially a crime scene at the moment, where ever it it's moored so the police can do all the necessary forensics, fingerprints etc, but I hope C&G will be able to update personally in due course.

.... slapped wrists to Tonka for his comment ... a bit rude and un-necessary IMO. ...

Ditto. No need to repeat.

Mike, yes we have had our other boat blacked there in the past so a proper dry dock in a purpose built shed. A decent facility. I would hope the investigation eventually finds out how the theft was undertaken from the initial break in to the re paint and all other aspects of the time the boat was out there - because it seems, and it is idle speculation, the disposing of the plates was a distraction as some had speculated - if the boat did take a direct route....

Trying to find a good reason not to mow my grass....! So have been looking into tracking devices. I might try this one for my boat

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-GPS-Tracker-Magnetic-Car-Vehicle-Personal-Tracking-Device-102-NANO-TK102-/111201679112?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I am also going to write to my insurers and using this horrible experience as a learning point ask if I was to add in such extra protection if there would be any policy % reduction.

Wonder what the sim charges are for top up?

Edited by NB Lola

Rather than shut the stable door after the horse has gone, with the likes of tracking devices and pre-prepared find my boat packs, I'd be looking at immobilisation. If the engine can't be run it's unlikely to be stolen. Simple and not quick to defeat would be a hidden fuel tap in addition to the bss required visible one. Further confusion eg hidden switches in fuel pump supply or starter solenoid and your putative thief would probably give up.

For security, multiple levels is best. You don't rely on one type!

Further confusion eg hidden switches in fuel pump supply or starter solenoid and your putative thief would probably give up.

Just take your starter circuit relay with you (or take it out and hide it somewhere in the boat).

• Greenie 1

Won't be too hard to find! It'll be between the engine and the fuel tank! And starter motor could be energised with a cable straight from the battery.

So are you changing the advert for Mercia Marina now and removing the "Secure" bit

A cheap shot Sir, very cheap. I don't know you, but I'll assume that it is unworthy of you.

Just a thought. There have been a few calls for Chris and Graham to come on here and tell all, and the speculation is that they have been told to say nothing by the Police. I think that is probably the case, but there is another possibility; that their pride and joy has been comprehensively trashed and they are far too upset to talk about it. As I said, I think it more likely that the 'police' answer is the correct one but on the offchance that it isn't, perhaps they should be given the space to reply in their own time?

Trying to find a good reason not to mow my grass....! So have been looking into tracking devices. I might try this one for my boat

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-GPS-Tracker-Magnetic-Car-Vehicle-Personal-Tracking-Device-102-NANO-TK102-/111201679112?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I am also going to write to my insurers and using this horrible experience as a learning point ask if I was to add in such extra protection if there would be any policy % reduction.

Looks like it might do the job Nev.

Perhaps you could do a review if you get one.

Take the tiller home?

Fasten the swan neck 'hard over' to the guard rails (if you have them) with a motorcycle lock and chain?

Variations on that with longer chains to welded brackets?

Hidden kill switch on electric fuel cut-off if fitted?

Hidden manual fuel cut off - at least you'll know the boat didn't get far?

Add a loud klaxon into the electrical circuit that activates once the alternator is functioning unless turned off by the not-obvious switch?

Locking devices on gear selection equipment?

Take the blowlamp home?

(Edit after MtB's post).

Edited by twbm

Just take your starter circuit relay with you (or take it out and hide it somewhere in the boat).

One of my boats requires 20 minutes of mucking about with a blowlamp followed by vigorous swinging of the flywheel back and forth in just the right way to start the engine, rather than turning a key.

Maybe I'm overconfident, but I'm not really expecting it to get nicked!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

One of my boats requires 20 minutes of mucking about with a blowlamp followed by vigorous swinging of the flywheel back and forth in just the right way to start the engine, rather than turning a key.

Maybe I'm overconfident, but I'm not really expecting it to get nicked!

Tow it.

I would suggest you don't.

A few years ago we implemented some actions in our factory that dramatically reduced the chance of fire - we made themistake in asking the insurers if we would get a reduction in Premium to which they replied "NO - but we will not increase it by as much as we may have done".

We got the usual 'percentage' increase.

Tell your insurers the minimum they need to know / ask for. Don't volunteer additional information. it will be (somehow) used against you.

I'm inclined to agree. The mindset of an insurer means they will be thinking you feel your boat is at elevated risk of theft hence your fitting of a tracker. So they will feel a need to raise the premium accordingly.

Tow it.

But why would they want it in the first place? It will always be a bar steward to start!

Hidden kill switch on electric fuel cut-off if fitted?

Don't even need to hide the kill switch. Just label it "Bilge Pump".

Good point.... best I can find is 4 quid a month so it is starting to add up.

I think with gift gaff, your top up lasts until it runs out, I think it's either 3 or 6 months you need to at least top up or use the phone to confirm it's in use.

I think with gift gaff, your top up lasts until it runs out, I think it's either 3 or 6 months you need to at least top up or use the phone to confirm it's in use.

Giff Gaff also helpfully contact you at the email address they have registered for you to warn you that they are about to cut the number off due to no use. (others may do too)

As far as I can see, there is no satisfactory (i.e. suitably low cost, low maintenance and simple to fit) tracker for steel narrow boats yet.

Especially not those with portholes.

I linked to this 'elsewhere'.

Why wouldn't something like this work on a boat?

https://phantom.uk.net/caravan-and-motorhome-tracking

Five years subs costs £898, but set against the value of a boat that seems good value.

Edited by MJG

When, not often, we leave the boat, all keys come with us. Also the two isolation catches,bars or whatever they're called, come with us as well. We have security bars front and stern.

Doesn't stop anyone getting in the boat, we have windows. But hopefully a potential thief will be put off and look elsewhere.

It seems these thieves were planning to live aboard for sometime, so I'd like to think the interior has not been trashed.

Very,very pleased Graham and Chris have their boat back.

Martyn

Giff Gaff also helpfully contact you at the email address they have registered for you to warn you that they are about to cut the number off due to no use. (others may do too)

I linked to this 'elsewhere'.

Why wouldn't something like this work on a boat?

https://phantom.uk.net/caravan-and-motorhome-tracking

Well for a start it costs £624, so hardly fits my 'low cost' parameter. And there is no clue on a brief scan of the website as to if or how it can see through steel roof. Or where on the outside of a steel tug style boat they would fit it 'invisibly'.

.... or cut out the middleman and buy one direct from China for less than a tenner - post free.

http://www.gearbest.com/car-gps-tracker/pp_320284.html?wid=21

Last time I checked there is a self hire dock on the direct route from Mercia to Weston at Fradley Junction. Not suggesting it was used and if it was the owners of the dock would be aware/involved

(Edited to add some clarifications)

And Fradley was where all the initial chat with passers-by took place!

Further to the observation of a covered dry dock at Fradley Junction, there is also one a few hundred yards before the entrance to King's Bromley Marina, just prior to the road bridge.Not sure whether you are able to hire it for DIY purposes though.

.... or cut out the middleman and buy one direct from China for less than a tenner - post free.

http://www.gearbest.com/car-gps-tracker/pp_320284.html?wid=21

Hmmm that looks worth a punt.

I wonder how long the battery lasts, and what batteries it needs.

And how much the 2g subscription costs after the first free year. I'd guess less than the £35 cost of the ting or it would be cheaper to bin it and just buy another new tracker!

Further to the observation of a covered dry dock at Fradley Junction, there is also one a few hundred yards before the entrance to King's Bromley Marina, just prior to the road bridge.Not sure whether you are able to hire it for DIY purposes though.

known as Bromley Wharf. Its where our share boat was based for a few years. it used to be a dry dock, and a poly tunnel, but the neighbours complained and the poly tunnel had to go a couple of years ago!