* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

I log in to post and then log out again if I want to read the forum anonymously. I realise that I can log in anonymously but I prefer the extra workload for some reason. I have always found the 'anonymous' thing a bit odd.

Anyway going back to the topic - sometimes it is best to hide in plain sight so I would suggest the boat may well be in its original configuration. But probably repainted if still on the water.

It was suggested that there was several possible sites and boatyards in Nuneaton and Coventry tucked away, that a narrowboat could hide. we have not been that way recently and certainly was not making notes of possible sites our future narrowboat could be hidden, any suggestions or people to contact would be appreciated. It may be closer than we think?

Also was the boat handed to a third party in the pub at Bridge 32 on the Trent and Mersea? So many possibilities! Continued thanks to you all,

That is the way we are headed on our way down from Great Heywood to Braunston so will of course continue to keep a sharp look out.

Ken

I have been away for the weekend but I must say sorry to the owners that me mentioning the legal case started all those suspisions that they had it repossesed etc etc. My daughter and I had a look on the Web for the mcc gem class and there are quite a few photos of the same shaped boat. As no one has mentioned the amount of these built I'm asking the question to some one who I think will know. I certinaly have seen quite a few around Burton and on the T&M on my travels

Dumb as it may seem..... If boat was lifted out of the water and onto a lo loader? Covered in tarp and shipped across the water, either to Ireland or to France?

Then maybe with checking the ferry ports is not a bad idea

That would be quite expensive! Not impossible, but perhaps unlikely. Might be worth contacting Ray Bowern and other firms who move boats on low loaders though

Haggis

Is it worth checking this one out ? - http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=479106

No images

very little description

same engine?

wrong year

wrong length by a few feet

Never heard of New Boat Co. only New and Used Boat company Mercia Marina.

Same firm. They used to sell LB and Aqualines out of Thames and Kennet Marina in 2005, when that boat was built.

Many Thanks to all that have checked the places in Nuneaton, What a team! Someone kindly sent us some photographs of clothes and items dumped over bridge 21 on the Coventry, also pillow and flat screen TV. We did have a 20" flat screen TV but the other items are not ours. (Sympathy goes out to the person who did own them though! ) Just in case you see them. Continued huge thanks to one and all.

I collected my boat from Wigrams Turn Marina today and gave them a couple of my flyers. Which they had at least got on their desk for when anyone calls in to reception.

I asked if they knew about the stolen boat and they said they had had an email. They did not appear to have paid much attention to the email though. I might be maligning them but I didn't get the impression that they had gone around to see if it was hiding in there either.

I didn't walk around the whole marina myself but glanced at all the boats in my line of sight whilst walking to my boat and when I was leaving the marina and I am pretty sure it isn't hiding in there.

I am looking at boats with a cruiser stern and window configuration rather than colour. So today I have done Napton Junction to bridge 103. All clear so far but I think this area is a bit popular.

Just a thought (and I really hope i'm barking up the wrong tree) but is it possible the inside was stripped of anything of value such as fridge, stove, inverter etc. then the boat sunk either in deep water or somewhere out the way where it wouldn't be a navigation hazard and therefore wouldn't alert attention for a couple of weeks.

Like I say hope I am wrong and not sure how it would help finding it.

Is anyone checking around Birmingham? So many nooks and crannies around there that a boat could possibly hide.

Oh btw, I am one of the anonymous members, and have been for some years following some stalking type hassle I was getting from another member when I still had the business. Probably not necessary now, but self protective habit!

Edited by Ally

Spotted a boat with identical stern heading through amington towards fazeley at 2pm yesterday.

Chap In 30's and blonde woman a bit younger.

Couldn't chase after them for a closer look as had 3 kids and 2 dogs in tow.

Couldn't update til now as had no connection

Apologies if it was an innocent lookalike

Edited by kawaton

Spotted a boat with identical stern heading through amington towards fazeley at 2pm yesterday.

Chap In 30's and blonde woman a bit younger.

Couldn't chase after them for a closer look as had 3 kids and 2 dogs in tow.

Couldn't update til now as had no connection

Apologies if it was an innocent lookalike

unless this boat was hiding somewhere i haven't seen the stolen one yet and i have moved from fradley up the cov and onto the north oxford, i may have missed it if it passed me early in the morning tho.

There's something about this that doesn't quite add up.

Not Chris and Graham's report, nor the Mercia Marina man (apologies for not noting your name); I have absolute confidence they are kosher. But somewhere along the line we're losing sight of something.

On the one hand, we're concluding that the most likely thief is a solo individual who is 'one sandwich short...' Yet he (or they - there has been the odd report pointing to a woman, as well as a description of a man at variance with the one everybody has been assuming is the culprit) have managed to hide an extremely distinctive craft from what's probably the most extensive and intensive search that's ever hit the waterways. So it would be easy enough, with an angle grinder or a gas axe, to make some modifications to the most distinctive features of the stern end. But would it be possible to do so, in the time they've had, without leaving some fairly obvious traces of their handiwork? And the window layout is pretty distinctive too, and a lot harder to modify, yet nothing has been seen. So that sandwich short has managed to be pretty clever, by the looks.

At this stage I'm not sure quite where that leaves us, except that we perhaps need to adjust some of our own assumptions. My feeling is that we need to try and put ourselves in the villain's head, work out what he/they would try and do. I know that's likely to lead to some crazy ideas. But the sensible ones haven't - yet - yielded any results, so there's nowt to lose. It will be a way for those who are forced to be armchair participants to do their bit, a way to support the searchers on the ground.

I'm going to see if I can come up with any thoughts overnight. But hopefully others will come up with better thoughts quicker than I can. I suspect we need to cover all bases from the solo 'one sandwich short...' to a well-organised gang with access to facilities and equipment; each possible combination will result in a different approach - and there may be one that will suddenly resonate with people and allow the search to focus more helpfully.

One final thought for Chris and Graham: when you were chatting with your curious gongoozler, could the information you gave have included when you would be leaving the boat and how long it would be before you returned? That, too, might just give us a little clue.

Edited by kbarber
  • Greenie 1

It could also be well up north now. Someone could have dumped the plates etc by car to set a false trail. I know the tunnel keepers at Harecastle take boat names and numbers but they don't enter into the system. That happens much later. It could be the other side of Manchester now. Will still an eye open on the southern GU though

I suspect ours was one of them... slightly shabby looking grey boat coming south, with a vintage engine (4LK)?

However I confirm no sighting from Saltisford (left midday Saturday) to Welton Wharf (just London side of Braunston Tunnel, reached yesterday about 4:30pm).

We saw you and the poster

Glynn of New & Used kindly posted search details on The Sales Pontoon and the following response was received:

Hi, I may have seen this boat last Thursday 28th July on the Ashby canal. My work colleagues and I cruised between Stoke Golding marina and Cheney Wharf & return between the hours of 18:30 and 20:15.

My partner and I will be cruising the Leicestershire Ring from this Friday for 2 weeks so will keep out eyes peeled.

Good luck.

Best regards, Martin

b

I reported that I had seen a boat by the same makers on the same day on the Ashby