* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

Iain and I have been puzzling over the photos and trying to remember if a boat which scraped along side us at the Plough at Huddlesford yesterday about 4pm could be it. It was certainly blue and the steerer on a cruiser stern was not wholly visible to us which would be the case if part of him was inside the stern "skirt". Iain thinks that there was no red on the stern bit. The boat was heading towards Hopwas. I heard a boat going the other way say to the steerer of that boat that there was another boat right behind him but the steerer made no attempt to slow down (he wasn't speeding but was obviously not in total control) and he met the other boat bow to bow just in front of us. He then reversed and bumped our side then scraped along it by which time I was standing on our gunwale trying to hold his boat off. He went back a bit further and touched the bows of the boat moored behind us. He asked if "she" could cross our stern and I said of course and a female ran along side our boat, crossed our stern, pushed his boat out a bit then crossed back over our stern onto the towpath. This struck me as odd as I thought she was crossing to get onto the boat and we wondered afterwards who she was. was his crew walking? We don't know. He then extricated his boat and went on his way. Another thing which struck us and the chap on the boat behind was that at no time did he say anything (apart from "can she cross your boat?" ) but just kept looking straight ahead. No sorry, I screwed that up or a smile nor thanks for holding his boat out.

On discussing it later the guy in the boat behind also thought it was very odd behaviour. We are wracking our brains to remember if it could be the stolen boat but all we can be sure of is that it was blue and had pipe fenders which were attached below gunwale level.

I hope the missing boat is found

haggis

PS she was slim and I would say in her twenties. He had light brown hairand was probably about 5 feet 8 and also of slim build.

This is the post from Haggis. Post #28 on the 26th.

no need now as I see it, police are happy its theft, no payments outstanding etc etc. Could be about anything but not something to do with the theft so its not really pertinent.

Unless I missed it explained it still seems strange this fella knew the pontoon number for the boat, does make you think its someone with some knowledge of the boat already in some way

To be accurate, the police record allegations of crimes. They then investigate them. In a perfect world they interview the person responsible and after corroborating the facts on both sides to the degree possible they either charge someone or don't. It is not uncommon for a recorded crime to be written off as 'no crime committed' if that's the conclusion they reach possibly after a consultation with the CPS. In this case the boat is a conveyance and its removal from the marina without lawful authority might well fall under 'Taking a Conveyance' rather than theft, where an intent to permanently deprive the owner of the property is needed. If the boat had been removed with lawful authority that would only be after considerable interaction with the owners, so they'd know about it. Unless the owners are proactively seriously deceiving the forum it would serve them if the boat could be located, allowing the authorities to put due process in motion.

Good to see we are all still thinking hard. I'm down south and am not involved in the search, but am watching with great interest at how a community comes together in a crisis.

Given the theft can be placed to have happened at least 19 days ago, the boat will have had time by now to get anywhere on the system.

So don't rule out the possibility it is somewhere near you.

We've cruised from Hawkesbury to Clifton upon Dunsmore today. All we spotted was a boat with similar colouring up on a hydraulic lift at Lime something Marina. It had a rectangular tunnel light above the front doors which I don't think the missing boat has. Couldn't see the back.

www.limefarmmarina.co.uk

This is the post from Haggis. Post #28 on the 26th.

The steerer on that boat was not as old as 60 and was not balding. I reckon he would be in his thirties and he had lightiish brown hair which doesn't fit with the guy who took the boat from Mercia. What struck us as odd was the fact that he ignored me completely yet I was at times only feet from him and in some cases that could be explained by the person concentrating on what he was doing but this guy didn't seem at all bothered about what his boat was doing. The incident happened on the Coventry canal at Huddlesford junction and the boat was travelling towards fazely having come from the Fradley direction.

haggis

We've cruised from Hawkesbury to Clifton upon Dunsmore today. All we spotted was a boat with similar colouring up on a hydraulic lift at Lime something Marina. It had a rectangular tunnel light above the front doors which I don't think the missing boat has. Couldn't see the back.

i should be passing there tomorrow, will have a look.

• Greenie 1

Given the theft can be placed to have happened at least 19 days ago, the boat will have had time by now to get anywhere on the system.

So don't rule out the possibility it is somewhere near you.

Also there has been time to alter or remove the panelling on the stern!

The steerer on that boat was not as old as 60 and was not balding. I reckon he would be in his thirties and he had lightiish brown hair which doesn't fit with the guy who took the boat from Mercia. What struck us as odd was the fact that he ignored me completely yet I was at times only feet from him and in some cases that could be explained by the person concentrating on what he was doing but this guy didn't seem at all bothered about what his boat was doing. The incident happened on the Coventry canal at Huddlesford junction and the boat was travelling towards fazely having come from the Fradley direction.

haggis

Might be more than one male though so shouldn't be ignored I feel.

Like you say most people would apologise for the error or admit to making a balls up.

The front doors are a little unusual being brown double glazed house type, the bow also helps identify...

Edited by Dave Payne

Do crt loggers check licences in boat windows?

One missing this would throw up a red flag on the system would it not?

not everyone including me displays a license since CRT stopped posting them unless asked to.

Local CRT guy says you don't need one in the window anymore, look you up solely on the number. Will flag up that way.

What do they do when they encounter a boat not diplaying a licence number (like the boat we are seeking)?

What do they do when they encounter a boat not diplaying a licence number (like the boat we are seeking)?

I know many feel displaying a licence in this day and age isn't necessary but it would be yet another thing for the thief to have dealt with in disguising the boat.

Hopefully, knock on the boat and get ananswer. Report it in someway. Or leave a sticky sticker, alla BW.

Let's hope so, but I have a horrible feeling they just ignore them.

They are data loggers not trained in confronting boaters, I suspect.

We were out today as part of the Mercia "walk and talk the towpath" At bridge 58 on the T&M we spoke to a lady who believes she saw the boat just before Alrewas on either Monday or Tuesday this week. It was heading in the direction of Fradley. Whilst talking to her the Stenson boat "The dog and the duck" passed. We asked if it was that one she saw but it wasn't. (We also apologised to the owners of the boat for all the interest they have had whilst out cruising) I met up with Chris and Graham this morning whilst we were organising our different search parties and then met up with them again in the afternoon. Having heard the whole story from them I'm satisfied that they are not in a dispute over the price of the boat, they have completely paid the amount of money the boat builder requested. The dispute is over the spec of the boat and they have been supported that the spec they requested has not been adhered to. Despite this they paid in full. They are a genuinely lovely couple, heartbroken over the loss of their boat and totally in awe of everything people are doing.

Let's hope so, but I have a horrible feeling they just ignore them.

They are data loggers not trained in confronting boaters, I suspect.

We haven't displayed a licence in a while. The condensation used to turn them mouldy and the hassle of having a new one sent wasn't worth it. But the number of hiking groups who would stop in their tracks just to take our licence number because 'this one isn't licenced' was ridiculous. Each to their own, I guess.

I would suspect the majority of boats do display a number (I cannot recall ever noticing one missing. I'm not looking for them, though).

So, if it were me, I would try to look as "normal" as possible - display a number (random or registered to somebody else) but steer clear of places you're going to be clocked.

We were out today as part of the Mercia "walk and talk the towpath" At bridge 58 on the T&M we spoke to a lady who believes she saw the boat just before Alrewas on either Monday or Tuesday this week. It was heading in the direction of Fradley. Whilst talking to her the Stenson boat "The dog and the duck" passed. We asked if it was that one she saw but it wasn't. (We also apologised to the owners of the boat for all the interest they have had whilst out cruising) I met up with Chris and Graham this morning whilst we were organising our different search parties and then met up with them again in the afternoon. Having heard the whole story from them I'm satisfied that they are not in a dispute over the price of the boat, they have completely paid the amount of money the boat builder requested. The dispute is over the spec of the boat and they have been supported that the spec they requested has not been adhered to. Despite this they paid in full. They are a genuinely lovely couple, heartbroken over the loss of their boat and totally in awe of everything people are doing.

would that not fit with fidodido who thought he'd seen a similar boat near Rugeley?