iPad full up. Backup and iCloud advice required.

jenevers

Featured Posts

I you need to download anything? You should be able to go to Settings/iCloud/Photos and set iCloud Photo Livrary to on, that will store the photos in the cloud, you will I think need to be on wifi fie it to do the upload, which will take some time. There is also the setting Optimise IPhone/iPad Storage which will store low resolution photos on the decide with the originals on the cloud.

Can anyone point me into the right direction as to how to backup and put all my photos on " the Cloud"?

Btw I can't download the iCloud app.......cos there's no more room on my ipad

I have all my photos backed up on Flickr which gives 1TB free storage, I have 120,000 pictures stored on it and have still only used 40% of my free storage.

Another way is to purchase an Ipad photo adapter which will allow you to backup your photos to an SD card to free up space to download the Icloud App.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Buying more iCloud storage won't solve your iPad issue as all photos, etc are synced between devices. If you delete an image on the iPad it will also remove it from your iCloud storage. The only way to gain space is to back up your pics elsewhere by either using an online service such as Flickr and Dropbox or by copying them onto a desktop or laptop then deleting them off the iPad.

Buying more iCloud storage won't solve your iPad issue as all photos, etc are synced between devices. If you delete an image on the iPad it will also remove it from your iCloud storage. The only way to gain space is to back up your pics elsewhere by either using an online service such as Flickr and Dropbox or by copying them onto a desktop or laptop then deleting them off the iPad.

So do I need to pay for Flickr?

Cos I've just started paying for iCloud.

just a small word of warning about using any single medium for your photos, whether that is the cloud, a drive or whatever. All things can and do fail. Flash drives die unexpectedly, hard disks die unexpectedly, web sites crash or get hacked unexpectedly.

So... if your pictures are important to you then store them in multiple places. At least two separate mediums like say Flickr and a USB stick. Or a DVD and a hard drive. The more places you store them the more likely you will still be able to access them in your dotage.

Tony

Why doesn't doing what I suggested in post #3 help the OP?

For the very reasons explained in the post which you quoted. If he backs them up with iCloud he still can't delete them as requested in the thread title.

€90 on eBay.fr from lasentinelle7

Won't help jenevers though because you can't plug an iPad into a disque dur

I think you can if you use something like Seagate Goflex (but I think this is no longer available) or a wireless hard drive, or using the lightning connector

- in any event, 'ifile' needs to be downloaded onto the ipad.

Edited by Lady Cassandra

I think you will need to go to a computer (mac or PC ) and move stuff from the ipad to something else. Micro SD cards hold a lot and take a boat friendly little space otherwise USB flash drives hold enough. Have plenty of storage places. You will have a system failure sometime and you will lose things 1 and 2 TB drives just mean that you lose data by the TB. You can easily get USB to micro SD adaptors.

Look for a deal on a stack of USB Flash drives and put each group of files on two sticks, in two places?

I think you will need to go to a computer (mac or PC ) and move stuff from the ipad to something else. Micro SD cards hold a lot and take a boat friendly little space otherwise USB flash drives hold enough. Have plenty of storage places. You will have a system failure sometime and you will lose things 1 and 2 TB drives just mean that you lose data by the TB. You can easily get USB to micro SD adaptors.

Look for a deal on a stack of USB Flash drives and put each group of files on two sticks, in two places?

Absolutely.

Most of my pics are on 4 places - iCloud, phone, PC, and Flickr. More important ones are also on USB sticks.

Tony

I did, did you?

Storing low res copies is only a temp solution. Eventually he'll fill up again because he can't delete them.

You don't know that, low res images will save a lot of space on the device. It could buy the OP years, by which time he will have upgraded to a device with more memory, and so on. It is a simple solution, so why not start with that.

120,000 pictures! OMG - you must have an impressive cataloguing system to find your way through that lot.

I've got a tenth that many, keep trying to edit then down and die of terminal boredom after an hour or so.

Where did I say it didn't?

Just buying more iCloud storage as the OP is doing won't solve the issue, copying them off as you suggested will. I was backing you up on that fact.

Where did I say it didn't?

Just buying more iCloud storage as the OP is doing won't solve the issue, copying them off as you suggested will. I was backing you up on that fact.

It's an oddity that everything else you store in the iCloud, iBooks, Pages and Numbers dox, can be left in the cloud when deleted from one or more devices, but not photos.

My main photo store in on my Mini, backed up with Time Machine to an external drive.

Did you ever get the impression that Apple would rather that you just bought a new ipad with more storage? The optimize space on device looks promising up to a point, but if you really want to get rid of the photos from the device and just keep them in the cloud then it seems like google's photos app will do what you want (albeit your photo's will be in google's cloud rather than icloud). I haven't tried this myself though, so can't comment from personal experience.

How much you trust external organisations to back up your photos and not lose them may depend on your own level of paranoia.

Thanks everyone. Flickr seems to be automatically downloading my photos? But how do I get iCloud to download them AND when the photos have all been downloaded can I safely DELETE them from my iPad??

Edited by jenevers