Buddhas on widebeams

Lizzy

Featured Posts

• 1 year later...

There's a Hindu festival once a year where statues of Ganesha are traditionally thrown into waterways. Ganesha is the elephant-headed Hindu god, so you'd have thought not easy to muddle up with Buddha (!), but I've that (unsuprisingly) many end up in the GU around the Wembley/Neasden area at that time of year (I forget when), and I saw a FB post asking the same question - why so many barge buddhas? - which ended up actually being about Ganeshas, which has been pulled out of the canal. Probably not traditionally the luckiest thing to do, removing a holy offering, but of course, on the other hand, a free ornament, and hey, Ganesha was a big hearted kind of god, who's to say he'd really mind? Or that the whole religion thing isn't hogwash in the first place....Then again, I remember a story Nils Bohr, the famous physicist: someone saw an upside down "lucky" horseshoe on the wall of his lab, and said, "surely you don't believe in all that, Nils?" - to which Bohr is said to have replied, "Of course not! But they say it works even if you don't believe in it...."

ramble over

On 19/07/2016 at 21:21, Lizzy said:

A vey random question, but it's been bothering me and I'm sure the hive mind here knows the answer. I am cruising down the GU and there are lots of massive widebeams here. At least every second boat has some type of buddha statue on deck. What's up with that?

Buddhism is an Asian religion that also has a significant following of annoying white people.

I wonder how they are feeling about their religion of peace now when they see the Buddhist nationalism, violence and genocide against the Rohingya in Myanmar? I'd be taking that Buddha statue off the roof if it were me.

• Greenie 1