Universal Credit and "houseboat"!

Teenaoakley

Featured Posts

Hi all

I've done a search and found info on benefits, but my search came up with results pre universal credit. So....

I became unemployed on Friday. It's been years since I claimed any benefits, and that was only for a short time.

I tried to claim JSA but apparently now it's Universal Credit for all single people. On the online form it has a section for claiming housing benefit for mooring and licence fees for a houseboat. Does the phrase houseboat include narrowboats? I've filled the form in as though it does, as we have those costs too. I have my interview tomorrow, so would like to be prepared if I need to fight my corner!

Has anyone here claimed housing benefit since universal credit came in? How did you get on?

Before anyone asks, I don't intend being out of work for long, as I reckon anyone who can(legally!) live on that amount of money must be a miracle worker!

I think that "houseboat" is a term often used to cover any type of floating domicile, and thus embraces narrowboats.

But wait: someone will be along in a minute with exactly the opposite view!

It's highly unlikely that anyone from the benefits office will come and look at your houseboat and tell you it's a narrowboat.

ER, vice versa surely? It IS a narrowboat, is it not?

Theres a chap who is involved in this in a professional basis, he doesn't do the forum much now but I have asked and see his reply

Forum name Smelly

Tell him to look up "benefits fo boaters (liveaboards) on here and I'll sort him out. If he doesn't do FB he can still inbox me on CWDF and I'll get an email to prompt me to get in touch with him.

Hi all

I've done a search and found info on benefits, but my search came up with results pre universal credit. So....

I became unemployed on Friday. It's been years since I claimed any benefits, and that was only for a short time.

I tried to claim JSA but apparently now it's Universal Credit for all single people. On the online form it has a section for claiming housing benefit for mooring and licence fees for a houseboat. Does the phrase houseboat include narrowboats? I've filled the form in as though it does, as we have those costs too. I have my interview tomorrow, so would like to be prepared if I need to fight my corner!

Has anyone here claimed housing benefit since universal credit came in? How did you get on?

Before anyone asks, I don't intend being out of work for long, as I reckon anyone who can(legally!) live on that amount of money must be a miracle worker!

Oh blimey; it's dark in here intit?

Some of this is irrelevant to your question but I'm putting it out there as it will inform discussions going forward (for that read I should have read all your post first and I'm too lazy to edit).

First thing to say is that we may need your postcode to determine whether you are compelled to claim UC; unless you've already completed the online claim form in which case welcome to the World of Pain (oh... you have; sorry). We also need to know whether you've got a home mooring.

Deviating from the definition of "Houseboat" in the '71 British Waterways Act a narrowboat is a houseboat for the purposes of UC/Housing Benefit. Don't be surprised if the Work Coach you see at your interview has a problem with that.

If you've not got a mooring then you are homeless for the pursposes of Section 136 of the Housing Act '96 and if you aren't in a "full service" area then you will be excluded from claiming. If you've got a mooring and satisfy the gateway conditions (as long as your arm) and are NOT in a full service area you will need to claim UC. Sadly I see that you have a mooring so it's looking increasingly likely that you'll be one of the first boating UC claimants (I know of one other). In a full service area everyone has to claim UC

Do bear in mind that with UC you will not see a payment for the first 6 or 7 weeks of your claim. If you get a new job before week 5 you will not be entitled to any benefit.

Your licence, insurance and BSC (spread over 4 years) should be aggregated into the total housing costs amount.

UC is the shitstorm to end all shitstorms; it doesn't have any finished IT and there is a lot of ad hoc bullshit going on. You can find me at Benefits for Boaters (Liveaboards) where I am admin should you wish to discuss. I might not spot comments on here.

• Greenie 4

Oh blimey; it's dark in here intit?Some of this is irrelevant to your question but I'm putting it out there as it will inform discussions going forward (for that read I should have read all your post first and I'm too lazy to edit).First thing to say is that we may need your postcode to determine whether you are compelled to claim UC; unless you've already completed the online claim form in which case welcome to the World of Pain (oh... you have; sorry). We also need to know whether you've got a home mooring.Deviating from the definition of "Houseboat" in the '71 British Waterways Act a narrowboat is a houseboat for the purposes of UC/Housing Benefit. Don't be surprised if the Work Coach you see at your interview has a problem with that.If you've not got a mooring then you are homeless for the pursposes of Section 136 of the Housing Act '96 and if you aren't in a "full service" area then you will be excluded from claiming. If you've got a mooring and satisfy the gateway conditions (as long as your arm) and are NOT in a full service area you will need to claim UC. Sadly I see that you have a mooring so it's looking increasingly likely that you'll be one of the first boating UC claimants (I know of one other). In a full service area everyone has to claim UCDo bear in mind that with UC you will not see a payment for the first 6 or 7 weeks of your claim. If you get a new job before week 5 you will not be entitled to any benefit.Your licence, insurance and BSC (spread over 4 years) should be aggregated into the total housing costs amount.UC is the shitstorm to end all shitstorms; it doesn't have any finished IT and there is a lot of ad hoc bullshit going on. You can find me at Benefits for Boaters (Liveaboards) where I am admin should you wish to discuss. I might not spot comments on here.

Hi thank you and the others for your replies. Here's an update:

I went to my Universal Credit interview yesterday, and as you stated, the interviewer (after getting advice from a superior) said that I cannot claim UC as you have to live in a residential address at the moment. So he stopped my UC claim, and started a JSA claim for me from the initial date.

I have since been to the Gloucester Council and have an application form for housing benefit, which I am about to fill in.

For the benefit of future searches on this subject, bear in mind that the fact of not being able to claim Universal Credit is correct now, but this is while they are rolling it out, and could change at any time.

I went to my Universal Credit interview yesterday, and as you stated, the interviewer (after getting advice from a superior) said that I cannot claim UC as you have to live in a residential address at the moment. So he stopped my UC claim, and started a JSA claim for me from the initial date.

Epic win. Being on legacy benefits; whether said superior's right or wrong (wrong btw if you've got a mooring ) is hugely beneficial.

Make sure to put your insurance -pro rata- and bsc; again pro rata, on your HB claim.

I suspect there has been a misunderstanding of the requirement for a residential address; that will be a problem in times to come as reg 18 of the UC, PIP etc (Claims and Payments) regs gives the Secretary of State power to demand whatever information he requires, rather than whatever information is required to determine the claim as is the standard under the legacy schemes.

No matter; now you've got a JSA claim in that prevents you being sucked into the UC shitstorm. All good news.

Addendum

Whether or not we boaters will be compelled to claim UC rather than JSA/HB will depend on which area we are claiming in and that changes rapidly so I feel it's a waste of time linking to the current postcode range.

I suspect there has been a misunderstanding of the requirement for a residential address; that will be a problem in times to come as reg 18 of the UC, PIP etc (Claims and Payments) regs gives the Secretary of State power to demand whatever information he requires, rather than whatever information is required to determine the claim as is the standard under the legacy schemes.

The UC software links to a IT system, called the Integrated Risk and Intelligence Service (IRIS), which allows it to cross-check data in a UC claim, The system links to a number of outside databases including the Royal Mail Address Database. Which means if it can not find your address or any other details, The software then rejects the claim as the information cannot be verified. This is just one part of the anti fraud systems in place.

Edited by nbfiresprite

You're right that you don't want to be living on the pittance that's handed out to single job seekers in this country. You could try moving to Ireland, double your money?

Edited by FadeToScarlet