Bolinder 1054 for sale

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

• 1 month later...

I thought marine units had the flywheels i could be wrong.

As they needed them to ballance out the prop.

I thought it was industrial ones that didnt have front flys?

Edited by billybobbooth

A marine engine ideally should have a rear flywheel, so that in the event of any external shock (prop hits quayside/ lump of wood, prop is re-immersed after a big pitch, say) the shock from the inertia of the flywheel is absorbed by the prop shaft and gearbox, but there is no extra load on the crankshaft.

Industrial engine flywheels are arranged to suit the task the engine is built for and rear, front and twin flywheels are all common.

The base unit for the marine version is usually a single flywheel model, but front flywheels and rear flywheels are each about as common as the other (think Lister JPx, FRx, and H A/B/Rx series and the RN & National DM's.)

Automotive flywheels are almost always rear, because that is handy for the clutch. Marine versions of automotive engines (Gardner xLW and BMC's of various capacity say) are therefore usually rear flywheel.

Some engines designed principally for marine use still have the flywheel at the front (the Kelvin J, K and L series for example) despite it not being the best theoretical location..

In this particular case the Bolinder 105x series engines were made (mainly?) in a tractor version so that is a convenient starting point for a marine unit and leads to a rear flywheel.

N

The confusion may be arising from the fact that in the marine versions, 1051s and 1052s have the flywheel on the front, while 1053s and 1054s have the flywheel on the back.

In the tractor and stationary engine versions of 1051s & 1052s, the engine is effectively turned round so the flywheel is now at the back, where you would expect it to be!

Chris G

Sabb engines also have flywheel at the front. They are true marine engines too. Ours seems to have managed forty years now and the prop has hit lots of stuff. Mind you, according to the hours meter it's only done 15,000 hours so the newness has hardly worn off yet I suppose.