Union Canal - Falkirk to Edinburgh

angie dunn

Featured Posts

After doing the Langollen last year we are looking at doing Falkirk to Edinburgh next year. Can't seem to find a detailed guide like we could for Langollen, what we have seen suggests that it is hard to find moorings along the union canal and in edinburgh. Canals appear to be overgrown and in disrepair. Locks are handled by volunteers and I believe require advance notice to pass. However there seems to be a lot of wonderful things to see along the way and I would love to spend a couple of days in edinburgh. Is this canal trip worth the while. Would love to hear from anyone who has done this route, anything good or bad would be aporeciated. Thanks

We did this the year before last. It was lovely and we had no problems. The locks are all at Falkirk so once up them its a straight ride to Edinburgh. Plenty of moorings and nice pubs to eat at. Linithlow was worth a look round and Edinburgh moorings are convenient to the city.

Executive summary - YES it's worth the trip.

After the hurly burly of the Llangollen, you'll hopefully find the Edinburgh & Glasgow Union Canal a peaceful change! I'm biased (being a local ish boater) but I think Falkirk to Edinburgh is a great canal trip.

You've done the Llangollen with Pontythingamy aqueduct. Granted it's the tallest on the UK network, but the Avon aqueduct here I think runs it a close second for views - plus you can take the time to admire the views cos there's unlikely to be anyone chasing you over it!

You get to go round the Falkirk Wheel, the World's only rotating boat lift. I've been here 9 years & it still makes me feel like an 8 year old going round it in a boat.

You're right that there are loads of interesting things to do & see along the way. My particular favourite is Linlithgow for the Palace & the plethora of really good pubs.

To cover a few of the issues you seem to be worried about:

Guides - you can download the Scottish Canals skippers' Guide here though I see they seem to have overly compressed the downloadable version. If you make 4 more posts you can PM me & I'll email you a better quality version (unless someone more savvy like IanS or Haggis can point you to a better online version).

and notes on possible routes & timings from the Falkirk hire base here

Moorings - it's true that there aren't a huge number of visitor moorings, but all the hire boats from Falkirk are supplied with mooring planks if you're feeling adventurous & want to stop in the wilds - you will need a plank to stop anywhere that isn't a VM as the Union has a V rather than U shaped profile, meaning it's difficult to get alongside anywhere that hasn't been dredged. I've not had a problem finding moorings in Edinburgh, though for overnight I've found it's better to be in the basin past the lift bridge, as the flats at Leamington Wharf opposite the VMs have a reputation for raucous parties.

Disrepair - whilst it's true that you'll find lots of local boaters moaning about lack of dredging on the Union, it's still deeper than much of the English network. Before coming to Scotland we'd spent a lot of time on the Ashton & Peak Forest canals - we got all the way to Edinburgh without touching the bottom in a boat that was ploughing a furrow in the Peak Forest. Yes, the Union isn't dredged to its posted depth, but its still deep enough for most narrowboats!

Locks - if you're planning on Falkirk to Edinburgh then you only have 3 locks (plus the Wheel) to contend with, all at the Falkirk end. These are all run by BW Scotland (trading as Scottish Canals). It's true that you're supposed to give 24 hours notice for these, but the folk at the hire base will talk you through your options when you book & when you arrive, There's a sensible amount of flexibility for arriving hirers. The locks that are run by ReUnion volunteers run from Falkirk down to Grangemouth & Helix Park with the Kelpies marina. The rest of the locks & bridges on the Forth & Clyde are run directly by BWS, but this would only affect you if you wanted to run through to Glasgow as well as Edinburgh on a longer trip.

Final note - Falkirk is the only hire boat site for anything other than day or hotel boat hire, but there are effectively 5 fleets trading from the same base at the moment: Alvechurch, Black Prince, Capercaillie, Falkirk Hire Boats & Marines Cruises. Ron, Gail & the team will give you the same support & advice whichever boat you end up with.

And no, I don't work for them!

After doing the Langollen last year we are looking at doing Falkirk to Edinburgh next year. Can't seem to find a detailed guide like we could for Langollen, what we have seen suggests that it is hard to find moorings along the union canal and in edinburgh. Canals appear to be overgrown and in disrepair. Locks are handled by volunteers and I believe require advance notice to pass. However there seems to be a lot of wonderful things to see along the way and I would love to spend a couple of days in edinburgh. Is this canal trip worth the while. Would love to hear from anyone who has done this route, anything good or bad would be aporeciated. Thanks

Have a look at this blog

http://jannock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/mcboating-on-sonyaday-1.html

We are doing the Forth & Clyde next week followed by the Union (2 week hire) so thank you Lampyrichard for your informative post. Do you have as extensive information on the Forth & Clyde, if so I would certainly be very appreciative of it.

My general plan is to go to Glasgow for a day or so, then to Bowling, back to the wheel, Edinburgh & return the boat.

Is it worth going down to the Helix & overnight before doing the wheel & the union, or moor up & walk down to the Kelpies & back (possibly on the last day / evening before handing the boat back the next morning)?

I have loaded this (except the Helix detour) into Canalplan but am unsure of its accuracy especially with having to pre-book lock, wheel & lift bridge passages.

Thanks Lampyrichard. Very good information. What us the weather like middle to end of May. That is when we were thinking of going.

I'm sure our Scottish contingent won't mind me saying - it'll rain. That's why the landscape is so green and lush :) I adore Scotland but, like Wales, I always pack waterproofs. May should be good for lack of midges though.

Seriously the UK weather is incredibly variable. We can have snow in May and hot days in February or October. Pack for any eventuality.

Lampyrichard has covered most points. If it's a hire boat, there should be a skippers' Guide on board. If not, they're available from Scottish Canals at the Falkirk wheel. When heading towards Edinburgh, one bit to be aware of is the "Rowers' stretch" between Slateford Aqueduct and Harrison Park. There's no passage between 3.15p.m. and 5.15p.m. on weekdays, so you really have to aim to get to Slateford before 3p.m. to get into Edinburgh Quay. There are moorings outside, though. Best to phone Leamington lift bridge (number in Skippers'Guide) when you are at Harrison Park.

Woodsy, it's certainly worth going down to the Falkirk flight to the Kelpies and back the next day, although it's a wee bit of a walk to the pub cheers.gif If you want to walk down, it's just under three miles from Lock 16 to the Kelpies.

The Forth and Clyde locks do need 24 hours notice, so that Scottish Canals can get a volunteer locking crew together. I'm not sure if the hire fleet ask which way you're going before arrival, so that they can book passage towards Glasgow?

ReUnion do the Falkirk flight, plus helping Scottsh Canals with Locks 17 to 20. (Scottish Canals are still needed for Bonnybridge (and other) lift brdges.) There's another volunteer group which does locks 21 down to Bowling.

Iain

Thanks Iain, lock keeper attendance from Falkirk to Glasgow already arranged through ABC, its just timings etc for the remainder of the fortnight that I need to confirm.

I understand that on certain days an additional "call out" fee may be required for lock keeper attendance between Stockingfield Junction & Bowling?

Going on your post above it looks as if on the return from Bowling I should consider going down to the Helix, overnight & return the the next morning for the wheel & Edinburgh? - mind you the walk from Llangollen to horseshoe falls & back last year obviously didn't kill us

It is a bit of a "Marmite" situation regarding Scottish Canals involvement in cruising the Forth and Clyde can. Personally for my wife and myself the need to advise our desired route and times is far outweighed by the convenience of having locks set for you as you arrive and closed behind you as you leave.

This our first cruise from Ratho and are now in Kirkintilloch heading back tomorrow.

These are two different canals, the Union being lock free and in places narrow with features such as the aqueducts and the Falkirk Tunnel compared to the wider Forth and Clyde with locks and lift bridges. Both are equally pleasant to cruise. We are still discovering overnight stops but so far I can recommend bridge 41 the Park Farm Bistro on the Union, Falkirk Wheel Basin. Auchinstarry and Southbank Marina Kirkintilloch.

I hope you find your time on the Scottish Lowland Canals to you delightful.

(snip.

I understand that on certain days an additional "call out" fee may be required for lock keeper attendance between Stockingfield Junction & Bowling?

(snip)

Argh, yes, I'd forgotton about that paricular bit of S.C. penny pinching! After a bit of searching, I found operating hours for Locks 21 to 38 (Maryhill to Bowling) is Friday to Monday,0830 to 1730. From Tuesday to Thursday

... a new and additional service has been introduced to allow you to call and book manned assistance from Scottish Canals staff. This service will be charged at £90 and can be booked by calling 07810 794 467. Please note that this service requires at least 24 hours’ notice.

Iain

E.T.A. The "new service" is for Tuesday to Thursday. From Friday to Monday, it's the old service, which is just the same, but £90 cheaper cheers.gif

Edited by Iain_S

<snip>

When heading towards Edinburgh, one bit to be aware of is the "Rowers' stretch" between Slateford Aqueduct and Harrison Park. There's no passage between 3.15p.m. and 5.15p.m. on weekdays, so you really have to aim to get to Slateford before 3p.m. to get into Edinburgh Quay. There are moorings outside, though. Best to phone Leamington lift bridge (number in Skippers'Guide) when you are at Harrison Park.

<snip>

Iain

Iain, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the rowing restriction doesn't apply in July & August, so won't affect Woodsy in a couple of weeks?

Woodsy, on timings the pinch points on the F&C are the lift bridges & when Scottish Canals are allowed to operate them, plus the early closing time for lock operations, do you have that info to put into CanalPlan? The skippers' guide gives a list of target transit times for the F&C, these are fairly accurate as the SC locking teams will push you through at a rate of knots!

AlanD, I don't think anyone (BWS / SC included) know what will or won't be in place next year, lots of things are up in the air.

Richard

This transit charge from Bowling to Stockinfield is described on Scottish Canals website as being "a pilot scheme" and not be in place this time next year.

Unfortunately for me, I will be there this month - unless they drop it this week, which I doubt as the hire base operators mentioned it when I spoke to them last week.

Woodsy, on timings the pinch points on the F&C are the lift bridges & when Scottish Canals are allowed to operate them, plus the early closing time for lock operations, do you have that info to put into CanalPlan? The skippers' guide gives a list of target transit times for the F&C, these are fairly accurate as the SC locking teams will push you through at a rate of knots!

Richard

Unfortunately I dont, was going to wait till I got to the hire base to get the times from them.

Looks like RMT are going to cause a few problems for me getting from Edinburgh on Saturday - luckily Im getting the night sleeper up so shouldnt impact the boat pickup time.

Unfortunately I dont, was going to wait till I got to the hire base to get the times from them.

Looks like RMT are going to cause a few problems for me getting from Edinburgh on Saturday - luckily Im getting the night sleeper up so shouldnt impact the boat pickup time.

Just found the opening times bit on the SC website. Personally I find it difficult to keep track of the exact opening times, but the lock ops team are good at reminding me what I can & can't do when I ring up:-)

If you're planning to head West on your first day it would be good to be at the front of the swap over queue at the hire base at 1430, so you can get under way sharpish - hopefully they'll have pre booked the Bonnybridge & locks 17-20 for you. You'll not make it any further than Auchinstarry on the first day, as by the time you'd get to Twechar lift bridge lock ops team will be at home with their feet up.

The Boat House at Auchinstarry is good for (pricy) bistro style meals. Your only other realistic option is self catering.

The Stables pub at Glasgow Road bridge is good for a lunch stop on the way into Glasgow - good beer & standard 'pub grub' menu. In Glasgow I'd recommend mooring at BW HQ at Applecross Street, before the lift bridge as these are secure moorings - there's a wee gate to the outside World on a standard BW Watermate key (which you'll get with the boat). It's then just a short walk to the top end of town.

One other public transport thing to be aware of - the Glasgow Subway is closed for upgrading for the whole of July. There are replacement buses though, so you should still be able to get out to the West End & places like the most excellent Kelvingrove Gallery & Museum.

Spiers Wharf has a 'reputation' locally shall we say...

Enjoy your trip, but as others have pointed out do bring decent waterproofs! We even put the fire in today during a handling course so we could dry stuff off when we got back to base.

Iain, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the rowing restriction doesn't apply in July & August, so won't affect Woodsy in a couple of weeks?

(snip)

Come to think of it, you're right!

However, at least one of the schools involved (George Watson's) start their summer holidays late and their boats are met until the second half of July.

Also, there are some days when none of the schools are out, so even within the "Rowing time", it's worth mooring up and taking a walk down the towpath to check. Outwith the restricted time, there is still a high possibility of meeting a boat from one of the clubs.

Iain

I have just spent a week travelling from Falkirk, went to Edinburgh first and then to Glasgow. Timings were as follows.

Falkirk wheel opens at 10am, so we stopped at the arm just before the wheel on Tuesday night so we could be at the wheel 10am Wednesday (there are moorings at the top lock but they are right beside the canal). We booked 10am at the wheel, 12:30 at bonny bridge which was supposed to mean we clear the locks at 14:15. Pass through Auchinstary at 15:15 and Kirkintilloch at 16:15. On the day they held us back till 13:00 at Bonny bridge which mean they had to work overtime to get us through Kirkintilloch (cannot be opened between 16:45 and 17:15). Note once through Kirkintilloch Glasgow is 2.5 to 3 hours away and there was only one bollard mooring at the canal center, we spent the night roped to the railings opposite but there are a lot more in the basin if you can book through the bridge at the canal center.

Coming back the other way

11:00 at Kirkintilloch, 11:45 at Auchinstary, 13:00 start the locks, 15:00 Bonny bridge (had to wait for 2 additional boats to come through the lock)

Note Bonny Bridge closes at 16:00, a lot more traffic crossing this bridge around rush hour and if you want to go through the wheel as well you will probably need to start earlier

This was a lot less rushed than going the other way.

Our plan is to go to edinburgh and spend a few days there when we arrive and then just make our way back. We plan to stay in glasgow a few days also after we are done the cruise. We like to take our time and sightsee along the way. Take some time to explore edinburgh and surroundings before making our way back to Falkirk. So we are just looking for info and opinions on the Union.

The trip so far (Falkirk to Glasgow / Bowling):

Spent Sunday & Monday nights at Spiers wharf (intended to stop at Applecross yard but no room for a 56' NB) with no problems what so ever - (3 resident boats but didnt appear to be lived on), ourselves and a couple of other hire boats (came down in convoy), currently stopped outside of Bowling (Erskins Ferry) due to exceptionally warm weather the last swing bridge has "expanded" and cannot be opened - hopefully the bridge will have "contracted" enough in the morning to open so we can get to Bowling to wind & head back. Scottish canal staff have been exceptionally helpful & friendly.

Edited by Woodsy

We had that problem on the Commonwealth Games Flotilla in 2014. Had to spend a night moored west side of Dalmuir Drop Lock. Found a good Chinese carry out, though :)

Iain

Got through there ok, just had a decent meals at the Glen Lusset after walking down to Bowling & back, hopefully it will be cool enough tonight for the bridge to contract, otherwise its a long haul backwards to wind