Night visitor on North Oxford last night

Puckle

Featured Posts

A lady boater who was moored next to me on the North Oxford near bridge 81 last night got a knock on her boat at 2315hrs by a man on a push bike with a staffordshire bull terrier asking for directions to Napton. sounds very suspicious. Has anyone else had a visit from this person.

Any sensible burglar will select a boat they think is empty but knock before embarking on a break-in.

If they unexpectedly get an answer, they need something to say. Something feeble like "which way is Napton?" sounds suitably feeble.

I reckon her boat was the target, rather than her.

Or on the other hand, perhaps he was just trying to get to Napton.

On balance this seems unlikely.

Boaters can generally find their way around without asking for directions, let alone having to ask for them by knocking on other boats at 11.15pm.

Boaters can generally find their way around without asking for directions, let alone having to ask for them by knocking on other boats at 11.15pm.

That's probably true - but there is no suggestion that this fellow was a boater, as he was riding a bicycle.

Admittedly his behaviour does sound a bit odd. Ah, must have been a boater then.

On balance this seems unlikely.

I have heard the odd genuine request like this, for instance, was at a boaters party on the Lea. A woman and her son approached the party at around 3am, wanting to know the way to Harlow, was most dismayed when we told her it was a few miles walk.

That's probably true - but there is no suggestion that this fellow was a boater, as he was riding a bicycle.

Admittedly his behaviour does sound a bit odd. Ah, must have been a boater then.

Because someone rides a bicycle that excludes them from being a boater?laugh.png

It does seem odd but thankfully but the sound of it no harm done. I suppose it is only really the time of night it happened that makes it suspicious.

once was moored somewhere in the Milton Keynes area (near Campbell Park I think) when late in the evening a chap knocked on the hatch asking for directions to the Marina. We had passed the Cruising Club earlier in the day so could direct him that way or tell him he had to continue to the marina! At first I thought it was a bit strange as it was pitch black outside, (was early November) and seemed to have lost his boat on a linear park..however Mrs Dharl being the bloodhound that she is found out that he had caught a bus into MK Centre but didn't remember which one he needed to catch back so had got dropped off by the canal but didn't know if needed to turn left or right along the towpath when he got there!

• Greenie 1

Don"t know if it"s related but there is a lot going on in the fields by bridge 81. They are excavating the new marina and some of the workers are living on site in caravans.I was approached by a nice couple a few weeks ago who had been told by their boss that there was a pub close by on the towpath????

I once got knocked late at night and was asked if I had any sugar - Just looked and felt wrong, almost certainly a potential burglar, so I told him "not for you mate".

Oh c'mon, the bloke was probably desperate for a nice cup of tea!!

(Yeah, right...)

I had a knock on the door, I opened the door and there stood a sad looking dirty filthy looking geezer, he asked if I had anything to eat, being a compassionate sole I asked if he liked cold rice pudding. He said oh! Yes,

I said 'come back tomorrow, it's still hot!'

• Greenie 2

Think I may have seen this bloke today mid 20s with a brown staffy on a mid 80s mountain bike. He was walking towards braunston at midday at flecknow. Had puncture on bike and asked how far it was to braunston. He was engaged open and friendly.

Said he was looking for a friends boat but had missed it at napton. He walked behind us eventually stopping at a couple of 'tired' boats opposite the Houseboat estate at wolfhamcote. He did not look suspicious did not wear a stripped jumper and his bag was not labled swag. No evidence of fridge, inspite of self lubrication.

I had a knock on the door, I opened the door and there stood a sad looking dirty filthy looking geezer, he asked if I had anything to eat, being a compassionate sole I asked if he liked cold rice pudding. He said oh! Yes,

Tee-hee.

Greenie to Nightwatch :)

We were moored on the Bridgewater canal and visited Dunham Massey house, leaving the boat at Little Bollington, a beautiful and peaceful spot.

On our return, a neighbouring boater told us of a friendly, very chatty cyclist, who had stopped to chat to them, and other boaters, before ripping the headlight off my boat and cycling away !

The swine...and it was only a white plastic headlight, not a brass monster.

Rog

Something kind of fishy about this.