Braunston 2016

Ray T

Featured Posts

One more thing, I would like to thank the owners and Forum members that took the time to speak with me and answer my endless questions regarding acquisition / disposal / engine serial numbers e.t.c. throughout the course of the weekend.

I think I have made a few new friends this weekend, and it is always nice to put a face to a name captain.gif

Hello Pete,

We'd hoped to meet you, but not being able to recognize you and not having an historic boat to be quizzed about I don't think we did. Unless of course you came to the stand but didn't say who you were.

We met lots of lovely new people including lots of forum members so thanks for popping round, and I'm glad my biscuits were appreciated.

I didn't catch everyone's forum name, so I'm not going to mention anyone by name for fear of leaving someone out.

We enjoyed the weekend, just got to empty the cars and get back to work now.

Sue

Was there a boat there labelled "Great Western Railway", an unconverted motor with cloths? It's just gone past our house but I didn't get to the window quickly enough to see the boat's name. It must have had fun getting round the Briggate Bend in Whittlesey.

Was there a boat there labelled "Great Western Railway", an unconverted motor with cloths? It's just gone past our house but I didn't get to the window quickly enough to see the boat's name. It must have had fun getting round the Briggate Bend in Whittlesey.

Was it on the back of a lorry?

Its not that difficult to get a full length narrow boat round Briggate Bend.

You were asking if it was at the show, which kind of implies that it could not have left before Saturday lunchtime at the earliest...

Och, I do believe you're correct! I had somehow thought that the Braunston "do" had been the previous weekend, perhaps because some people mentioned arriving there during that weekend. So, the "Great Western" boat can't have been at the show. Does anyone know which boat it might be? There can't be many clothed-up G.W. boats on our waterways. I had a look on one of the historic boats web sites but couldn't find a reference to ex-G.W.R. craft.

Photos from Saturdays parade on flicker link below. Sickle doing its best to cause chaos. Sorry for the ones I missed but camera & small grandson malfunctioned when lightening was overhead & brolly sprang a leak. Big thanks to everyone taking part. Good to see some different boats

Was the tug Kinver just passing through? It doesn't look out of place in your photos but as far as I am aware it isn't a historic boat and I don't recall seeing it.

Nice to see Rob-M stuck behind Nuneaton & Brighton again. Got a good view of the bows rather than the sterns this time though Rob.

JP

I've put up videos on Youtube of (I beleive) all the boats displaying on Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqGHqimQWdACx6iygvGb7n0zaH08WcTL4

What a great day - not too hot, not too wet.

The "Boats" video features Dodona, Helen, Purton, Whitby, Dorado, Hadley and Aquila.

B boats include Barrow, Barnet, Badger and Banstead,

C boats include Camel, Carnaby, Cepheus, Cassiopeia and Corona,

S boats include Scorpio, Sextans, Sculptor and Stanton,

Other titles are, I trust, self-explanatory.

Edited by jake_crew

Was the tug Kinver just passing through? It doesn't look out of place in your photos but as far as I am aware it isn't a historic boat and I don't recall seeing it.

Nice to see Rob-M stuck behind Nuneaton & Brighton again. Got a good view of the bows rather than the sterns this time though Rob.

JP

Kinver was just passing through wasn*t sure how old it is

I've put up videos on Youtube of (I beleive) all the boats displaying on Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqGHqimQWdACx6iygvGb7n0zaH08WcTL4

What a great day - not too hot, not too wet.

The "Boats" video features Dodona, Helen, Purton, Whitby, Dorado, Hadley and Aquila.

B boats include Barrow, Barnet, Badger and Banstead,

C boats include Camel, Carnaby, Cepheus, Cassiopeia and Corona,

S boats include Scorpio, Sextans, Sculptor and Stanton,

Other titles are, I trust, self-explanatory.

Excellent footage of "Sickle", except that I'm expecting flak beacuse we set off in a tearing hurry, and there was a fender left dangling down the side, (a shooting offence!)

It is sorted by the time we re-entered the marina.

The steerer there is forum member James, (Fade to Scarlet).

Excellent footage of "Sickle", except that I'm expecting flak beacuse we set off in a tearing hurry, and there was a fender left dangling down the side, (a shooting offence!)

I'm sure you were exceeding 4 mph as you set off !!!! biggrin.png

You weren't the only fender-offender, and at least Norman didn't tick you off about it over the speakers.

Edited by jake_crew

And brilliant fun it was too, thanks very much Alan.

Hello Pete,

We'd hoped to meet you, but not being able to recognize you and not having an historic boat to be quizzed about I don't think we did. Unless of course you came to the stand but didn't say who you were.

Sue

My apologies. I did walk past the engine stands a few times but not knowing who was who makes things as hard for me as it does for everybody else.

Although it is now after the event I can be seen on the YouTube film of CORONA passing around the parade on Sunday. By the end of Sunday my head, neck and arms were as red as my T shirt captain.gif

Hmmm! ..... Care to explain?

whoopsy.png

Not sure I need to explain that not all my pictures on Flickr are to do with canals.

I think you probably need to explain why you singled that picture out, downloaded it, cropped it and posted it on here!

Not sure I need to explain that not all my pictures on Flickr are to do with canals.

I think you probably need to explain why you singled that picture out, downloaded it, cropped it and posted it on here!

Sorry, but I think the expressions are brilliant!

Edited by Ray T

We spent two enjoyable days at the show, although we missed most of the parades as we were with Julian from "Vulcan" assisting with the Ron Hough display in the canal artists tent, The interest in Ron's work was impressive, with quite a few people bringing cans and other items for confirmation that they were by him, plus scores of people who had known him.

Many visitors had amusing anecdotes about him, however, the nicest, albeit sometimes tearfull, part was when Ron's wife and daughter joined us, they seemed very moved by the level of affection and admiration which so many people had for him.

A good two days, and we had a roof over us when the heavens emptied themselves on the show. We met quite a few "Forumites". It was also good to meet several old Boaters, especially Ray's friend Mike Humphries.

An article with photos will also feature in a future Waterways World. I managed to escape the photo session, so Julian had to undergo the ordeal!! In the meantime, here are a couiple that jan took on Sunday. Oh and before all the pedants descend on me, we know that the dark green stool (with label hanging in front of it) in the first photo is by Frank Nurser, Ron's tutor.

Braunston%20Show%20001a_zpsbdkmjomq.jpg

Braunston%20Show%20008a_zpsjxtn5n67.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

We had a brilliant weekend, thanks to Fulbourne for the ride on Sunday. I know Lemontoes really appreciated it too even if she was away from her stall for a bit longer than planned. Also multitudinous thanks to the Tawny Owls for putting up with us and putting us up, it was really good fun. Nice to meet new forumites and catch up with old friends.