Dogs on Board...

TickTockTrent

Featured Posts

I guess being well trained/obedient is one of the main things.

We've had a basset hound on our boat. Really useless. He would jump off and wander off at the most inappropriate times but then Bassets are known to be stubborn and ours isn't very obedient despite going to regular training sessions as a puppy. I have a Lab on the other hand who is much more obedient but does get carried away sometimes, still young though

Thank you for asking. Touch wood yes. It's been a bit dodgy, 'Knee op Bessie' started carrying her leg again. Vet suggests habit. I'll settle for that.

Long way from York to Crewe.

Hope you're well, and cruising happily.

I would choose a dog that can jump on and off a normal well deck without lifting it.

And a short haired dog because frankly speaking a long haired dog can make a boat stink of dog.

I am a dog lover before anyone has a go. Had dogs for as long as I can remember. Current hound a staffie long leg cross rescue.

Edited by mark99

We have a pair of Boxers.

We own Boxers because we love Boxers, whether they'd make good boat dogs or not was never a consideration, in fact I don't see why any particular breed being more suitable for boating should be an issue really. You only experience problems boating with individual dogs.

Just like you only experience problems boating with individual boaters! laugh.png

Edited by BargeeSpud
  • Greenie 1

My dog is an old rescue Staffie, fallen in once, been pushed in once by my friends Great Dane while playing on the towpath. We pulled her out so quickly that we still don't know if she can swim, (although the Vet said Staffies can swim although they are not good swimmers.)They have been on the boat together not much room as the Great Dane takes up the whole boat. Meg my Staffie is so daft she thinks everyone is her best friend, useless as a guard dog. Doesn't like the engine noise but likes all the attention from my boating friends. I will be having another friend to stay on the boat soon, and she has two Chihuahuas.

Well I am mostly collie and I am a very good boat dog so long as He doesn't tie up on those stupid slatted pontoons in marinas. I can see the water through the gaps so I just sit on the boat and my teeth chatter and then I wee. Then he gets cross. I have also been to Paris on our boat. There are funny little dogs there with pink coats and sparkly collars. They look stupid so I growl at them. I have also been to Amsterdam. I like Amsterdam. Its full of funny people, I think they are hippies and they sit outside cafes smoking big cigarettes. The streets of Amsterdam are paved with frites, frites are like chips but much better, theres also really nice Indonesian food squashed into the pavements but its hard to lick it off before He hauls me away. He let me steer the boat once, its got a big wheel and I sat on his lap but I wasn't very good at it. Mind you nor is he, sometimes theres an awful banging around in locks. And He drives on the wrong side of the road in France. Madness. In fact if it wasn't for me We would get awfully lost so I sit on the front of the boat making sure He goes the right way.

Bye for now,

Bella the Collie

My dog is an old rescue Staffie, fallen in once, been pushed in once by my friends Great Dane while playing on the towpath. We pulled her out so quickly that we still don't know if she can swim, (although the Vet said Staffies can swim although they are not good swimmers.)They have been on the boat together not much room as the Great Dane takes up the whole boat. Meg my Staffie is so daft she thinks everyone is her best friend, useless as a guard dog. Doesn't like the engine noise but likes all the attention from my boating friends. I will be having another friend to stay on the boat soon, and she has two Chihuahuas.

Two chihuahuas have to be better than one great dane on board

Two chihuahuas have to be better than one great dane on board

Our friends dogs enjoying the cruise:

Sadly the two Jacks are no longer with us.

They now have 3 and a half chihuahuas and half a Jack. The two new recruits love boating as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I am writing a piece on dogs on board and would love to get an insight into the various breeds currently out there living afloat.

Love to hear opinions on why certain breeds are well suited in your opinion and any characteristics or challenges you've had.

I know we all think our dog is the best in the world, and of course, we are all right!

No advice needed as such, just a straw poll really on what dog you have and why you think it is the best (or not!).

Thanks so much!

G

All dogs are great for liveaboard boating. I suggest bigger dogs make more sense as they are easier to see and you are less likely to trip over one than you are if its a yappy little Jack Russel for instance. Dogs 40 kilo plus are an advantage also if Toe rags are about. Our present dog is our smallest she is only 31 kilos so quite tiny but nevertheless big enough to see but the bark huh.png or should I call it squeek bless her.

Tim

All dogs are great for liveaboard boating. I suggest bigger dogs make more sense as they are easier to see and you are less likely to trip over one than you are if its a yappy little Jack Russel for instance. Dogs 40 kilo plus are an advantage also if Toe rags are about. Our present dog is our smallest she is only 31 kilos so quite tiny but nevertheless big enough to see but the bark huh.png or should I call it squeek bless her.

Tim

31kg is tiny? It's a fully grown labrador (properly proportioned, not the fat thing they're desperate to become). I think you're ballasted towards the heavy end of doggery! :D

Tim

Our dog is a bit under 20kg and I always know where he is!!!

Though with a 40kg dog you could use it to tow the boat if you ever get engine failure clapping.gif

On a more serious note, I'm not sure if I could pull a 40+kg dog back onto the boat whilst going up the River Severn. Hard enough with our 'little' dog the time he fell in.

31kg is tiny? It's a fully grown labrador (properly proportioned, not the fat thing they're desperate to become). I think you're ballasted towards the heavy end of doggery! biggrin.png

She is a lab acrualy...and a proper sweetie.

Tim

Then 31kg sounds about right, in fact, about the same as ours - also a proper sweetie. smile.png I don't think I could get away with describing her as tiny though! biggrin.png

She is completely adorable as was her predecessor who was 42 kilos and a cross bernese with Airedale. All dogs are fab though and a boat without one is a boat without soul.

Tim

• Greenie 1

Anyone here boat alone with a dog? Full time CC'ing?

Done it many times over the years but at present working so need a mooring. Dogs luuurv moving around as do cats.

Tim

Another vote for Labradors, we have two - our eldest is the archetypal water dog - he has swum next to the boat (giving our guest steerer kittens) and loves lying in the cratch. The younger one was only 9 months old when we moved onboard and is very adept at swimming also; they both like to lie next to the boat and when cruising lie with their noses on the gunwhale sniffing the air.

How do you manage with heat in the boat on hot days? Leaving the dog alone etc?

Living in the midlands there aren't that many hot days. As I'm on a marina I leave side doors and windows open and am never out more than 4-5 hours tops. It is why I don't CC, too difficult practically to do with a real lack of secure moorings on the trent anyway...